Home U.S. Coin Forum

Same coin

What would this be

Comments

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a quarter with some toning or compound added that appears like toning.

Why post this here?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t explain the parallel streaking, but nothing the mint does would make it look that way.

Perhaps it once had a thin coat of paint. A/k/a surface contamination

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Residues of some sort contaminating the surface. Not a mint induced condition. Worth a quarter. Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a "fluorescent penetrate" coating used in metallurgy to find cracks, especially on welds.
    The process is called "FPI" Fluorescent Pernitrate Inspection.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 99 Washington quarter with what appears to be motor oil or something on it

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever caused it it is not an error and is worth only a quarter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    It is a 99 Washington quarter with what appears to be motor oil or something on it

5 'W' quarters would be worth something.
    5W20 quarters, not so much...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • @Barberian said:
    It's a quarter with some toning or compound added that appears like toning.

Why post this here?

I posted it asking coz I wasn't sure why it looks gold ... why ask me why I posted I'm new to doing this

• 1999 Quarters also had the errors due to the mint experimenting with the tone for the Sacagawea coins... I've seen a few like this before on forums and such ... only reason I asked

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend some time studying the minting and die making processes. The more you know about how coins are made the easier it will be to spot real errors and understand which ones are minor.

Try these links for starters

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=mqPvKxJXC_Y&feature=emb_title
    (From the US mint)

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file