Home U.S. Coin Forum

Penny question

Does this D and 9 look off to yall??? I'm trying to learn

Comments

• The D is crooked

• Better pic

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, if you are serious, you need to find a good introductory coin book and start reading.

There is nothing that will turn people off quicker than flooding the forum with these kinds of posts.

edited January 21, 2022 12:07AM

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the D could be affected by a coincidentally placed plating bubble or zinc core corrosion

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy some books to help you learn. It's helped a lot of us thru the years

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    With all due respect, if you are serious, you need to find a good introductory coin book and start reading.

There is nothing that will turn people off quicker than flooding the forum with these kinds of posts.

MattandKim's a newbie. Be nice. Nothing will turn people off quicker than smug comments like yours.

Welcome Mattand Kim.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattandKim ... I looks like either a die chip or plating bubble as noted above.... No numismatic premium, but worth questioning. Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattandKim

Since mid 1982, cents have been made from copper plated zinc. Small bubbles and blisters (sometimes linear blisters) are a common defect and are not usually considered errors. The copper plating is only approx 8 microns (0.0003") thick. If it gets breached and the zinc is exposed, it can corrode. A similar thing happens on your car if the paint is scratched and rust forms.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

No added value.
    The "D" looks like post mint damage to me and the last faint "9"
    could be due to die wear or fill.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• @53BKid said:

@IkesT said:

MattandKim's a newbie. Be nice. Nothing will turn people off quicker than smug comments like yours.

Welcome Mattand Kim.

Already done... not posting again

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattandKim said:

@53BKid said:

@IkesT said:

Welcome Mattand Kim.

Already done... not posting again

That's too bad - maybe give it another try @MattandKim - just because a few people got tired of kicking their dog and needed a new outlet shouldn't deter you!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 5:19AM

@johnny9434 said:

Aye.One publication that has helped me immensely through the years is "Detecting Altered Coins" by Bert Harsche.You want the 5th or 6th edition (1973,1978).

Might have to work at it a bit to find a copy to buy since it is out of print. Harsche offers extensive "old school" information on how to detect counterfeit and altered coins.

It's worth every penny of the price the Lincoln cent collector might have to pay for their very own copy of Harsche. I heartily recommend it. Remember, 5th or 6th edition is what you want.😉

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 11:51AM

@mr1874 said:

@johnny9434 said:

Aye.One publication that has helped me immensely through the years is "Detecting Altered Coins" by Bert Harsche.You want the 5th or 6th edition (1973,1978).

Might have to work at it a bit to find a copy to buy since it is out of print. Harsche offers extensive "old school" information on how to detect counterfeit and altered coins.

It's worth every penny of the price the Lincoln cent collector might have to pay for their very own copy of Harsche. I heartily recommend it. Remember, 5th or 6th edition is what you want.😉

Not sure how an out of date publication from 1978 is going to help with a 1989 D zinc cent?

@MattandKim Don't waste time & money on out of date reference materials when there is much better up to date information available on the web or a forum like this.
    The information provided in the book will only confuse you as it has done with @mr1874

• I found some stuff online and ordered.... so I won't be much of a bother anymore... just waiting for them to come in

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattandKim ... For most members, your questions are not a bother... some forget that we all started with zero coin knowledge. Stick around, it is a great forum and a lot of good people with extensive knowledge. Cheers, RickO

@MattandKim My apologies to you for hurting your feelings. Please do not leave on my account. All the best to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file