Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Keep or get rid of ms/pf 70s Silver eagles for fear of milk spot formation

PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I am torn and can use some objective opinions on a few questions.

I own a bunch of ms70 and pf70 American silver eagles including the 2019s enhanced reverse proof signed by moy and the 2020 v75 including the v75 medal.

I am strongly considering getting rid of my 2019s and others because of the potential for milk spot formation. I tried doing some research and I didn’t find anything worthwhile regarding the risk of milk spot formation except it can happen and if it does it was probably due to poor washing of the planchets/coins.

-is my worry unfounded?
-how much of a risk am I taking if I keep them?

Also, what change in value do you think the 2019s enh reverse will experience in time? I don’t expect the value to get anywhere close to the 1995 because so many more grade 70s were given out.

Ngc values (are you sitting down) the 2019s enh rev proof signed by moy at $4,500- and I believe the greysheet (no signature) is $2,500-. I personally don’t care about signatures on coins however, if someone would pay more then I am all for it, it just won’t be me. Nowhere do I find this price being accurate. I don’t do eBay, but I did look and the prices were nowhere near $4,500-, therefore what makes sense?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Make sure you are not confusing the signature on the slab label with a signature on the COA. Completely different.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

I have wondered the same thing. I understand the milk spot issue transcends national mints, decades, and TPG slabs as well as US Mint original capsules. My question is, Is there a period of time after which a coin/medal can reasonably be considered safe from milk spits?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sell them quickly and replace them with 69’s. Except the 2019 ase. It’s too expensive. But if necessary a 69 will be far less than a 70. If your worried change them.
    It’s a hobby to enjoy not develope an ulcer 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I would personally sell the 70s in favor of coins from your favorite series (if you have one). My personal favorite is Morgan dollars and also mint errors. If you truly want the silver eagles and you have to have them slabbed, I would trade down to 69s.

• Options

@edgar said:
    I have wondered the same thing. I understand the milk spot issue transcends national mints, decades, and TPG slabs as well as US Mint original capsules. My question is, Is there a period of time after which a coin/medal can reasonably be considered safe from milk spits?

Unfortunately no. 😉

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 9:22PM

If you try you can find an ungraded 2019 S rev Pr in OGP for about 950....
    that’s what I would own because I prefer not to slab or grade modern coins, esp when they came straight from the mint - which most of my ASEs do. I missed the 19 RP but I did manage to get the V75 ASE.
    In fact I have all 2020 and 2021 ASEs, none are slabbed but it doesn’t matter they are essentially perfect!
    But that is why I would sell or trade them out if I had them - not because of milk spots! Milk spots aren’t that common on the newer dates imo...
    nice coins tho! Good luck

• Options
    edited January 20, 2022 9:28PM

I wish😢. In my world milk spots direct from the mint,including my WW2 privyase , are an occurrence as well as them forming on OGP earlier ase’s and slabs. The only slabbed 70’s I have are reverse proof. ( get a funky orange/tan spot )😉

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the planchet rinse that is causing this? Would a soak in acetone prior to submission mitigate milk spots at all? Granted I know a lot of these are submitted in the original shipping box for first strike designations, but I would think losing the first strike for assurance of no milk spots would be a good trade off.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2022 9:32PM

No they are producing them on dirty plancets so they mint the coin and don’t clean them first. Some dip every silver coin they get from the mint,new , in pure acetone 😉

• Options

@relicsncoins said:
    Is it the planchet rinse that is causing this? Would a soak in acetone prior to submission mitigate milk spots at all? Granted I know a lot of these are submitted in the original shipping box for first strike designations, but I would think losing the first strike for assurance of no milk spots would be a good trade off.

No they are struck into the coin - literally part of the coin. I’ve never seen one appear out of nowhere but may get brighter with time.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, forum member Russ told me to dip the new ASE's in acetone as soon as received. I have always done this since then, and no milk spots. I could just be lucky, but not likely. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 7:06AM

@ricko said:
    Many years ago, forum member Russ told me to dip the new ASE's in acetone as soon as received. I have always done this since then, and no milk spots. I could just be lucky, but not likely. Cheers, RickO

I have dipped every ASE and AGE that I have bought before storing them also. :)
    I think I learned that from ricko

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector, I would keep them and hope for the best...
    Mine are all in slabs so there is nothing that I can do to prevent the spots.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell the 70s… they are just bullion!

• Options

Well said Mfeld!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

sell them to me...

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

When they develop e white spots they are no longer ms70 they are now unc details environmental damage. Just sell them

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 2:46PM

I would put them up in my eBay store cost plus or MV / Bin-mo.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ngc values (are you sitting down) the 2019s enh rev proof signed by moy at $4,500- and I believe the greysheet (no signature) is $2,500-.

This is an extreme case of buying the holder, not the coin. It makes no sense to me. Is it a function of Specialized Registry Sets?

• Options

Thank you for your comments, they were helpful
    To add some color to my dilemma below is a partial list (I will be adding more) of the the coins I will be getting rid of. I probably will also add my 2029s enh reverse proof, once I figure out a price, and use the money to upgrade some of my Morgan’s and peace dollars. 🙂

Proofs:
    2020W Pcgs PR69dcam first strike v75 Privy (I will keep my pr70dcam)
    2020W Pcgs PR70dcam first strike
    2019S Pcgs PR70 dcam first strike
    2019W pcgs PR70 Dcam first strike
    2018S pcgs PR70 Dcam first strike
    2018W pcgs PR70 Dcam first strike
    2017W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo first day of issue
    2017S pcgs PR70 Dcam first day of issue
    2016W pcgs PR70 Dcam-lettered edge, 30th anniversary
    2016W aNacs SP70 Satin Finish
    2015W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo
    2014W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo early release
    2013W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo early release
    2012W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo
    2011W ngc 25th anniversary set PF70 Ultra Cameo early release
    2010W anacs PR70 Dcam first day of issue
    2008W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo early release
    2007W ngc PF70 Ultra Cameo early release

Burnished
    2021W pcgs SP70 first strike type2, burnished
    2019W pcgs SP70 Burnished
    2017W pcgs SP70 Burnished first strike

Mint strike:
    2021 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type2, struck at West Point
    2021 pcgs MS70 first strike type2
    2021 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type2, struck at San Francisco emergency issue
    2021 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type1, struck at West Point
    2021 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type1, struck at San Francisco emergency issue
    2-2021 pcgs MS70 first strike type1
    2020 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2020 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2020 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at San Francisco emergency issue
    2020 (p) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at Philadelphia
    2019 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2019 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2018 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2018 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2017 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2016 pcgs MS70 first strike type, 30th anniversary
    2014 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2014 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at San Francisco
    2014 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2014 (w) ngc MS70 early release, struck at West Point
    2014 ngc MS69 early release
    2013 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2013 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2013(s) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at San Francisco
    2012 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at San Francisco
    2012 (w) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at West Point
    2012 pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2011 pcgs MS70 first strike type, 25th anniversary
    2011 (s) pcgs MS70 first strike type, struck at San Francisco
    2007 W pcgs MS70 first strike type
    2004 ngc MS69

Sets:
    2021W pcgs PR70 reverse proof, first strike type1, designer edition
    2021S pcgs PR70 reverse proof, first strike type2, designer edition

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, that is an exhaustive list and only valuable at the stated grade WITHOUT spotting, so good call!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Besides what you just made it very easy now just copy and paste to the BST.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the premium over spot will go down on 90% of those whether they spot or not.

Having said that, you had a reason for acquiring them in the first place, has that changed?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    I suspect the premium over spot will go down on 90% of those whether they spot or not.

Having said that, you had a reason for acquiring them in the first place, has that changed?

FYI
    the majority of these coins were part of a couple of collections I acquired. When I obtain a collection I usually get the good, the I really don’t want (ie: 40% Ag Kennedy’s), and the hmmmmmm (these eagles fall into this category).

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

in that case, with purchasing an entire collection you still need to decide if you want to keep everything or sell some / most.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 360 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    If your concern is significant enough to diminish your enjoyment of the coins, get rid of them. What’s the point in owning something you’re going to worry about?

Exactly. I had a bunch of old silver dollars that my grandfather kept in some old album. They had started to turn crazy colors so I just put them in the Coinstar machine at Kroger. Solved!

• Options

@conrad99 said:

@MFeld said:
    If your concern is significant enough to diminish your enjoyment of the coins, get rid of them. What’s the point in owning something you’re going to worry about?

Exactly. I had a bunch of old silver dollars that my grandfather kept in some old album. They had started to turn crazy colors so I just put them in the Coinstar machine at Kroger. Solved!

Oh my 🙀

I would have given you double face at least. 😉🦫🙀

Why wasn’t I in line at this point in time and stopped you. I’ve tried to cut my nose off to spite my face but never ever would even consider dumping coins like that. I would have sinned and dipped them but never CoinStar em. Guess you didn’t care much for your Grandpa.
    I’m sorry, I had a wonderful relationship with my grandpa and am enjoying my grandson. ( maybe I better be extra nice to him😉🦫🙀)

Again, not trying to judge as to each his own and collect what you like 😎

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 7:02AM

Get rid of them. Get nice Slabbed MS69 ASE they not that far above melt. Got a really nice one off the bay BIN for like $39.50 free ship, a real beauty. That’s hardly $20 above melt, less than slab cost.

One heck of deal vs slabbed generic Classic dollars which have less silver plus their tens of thousands of high pops. Why haven’t they crashed yet?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Cougar1978: interesting a friend of mine just offered me a set (35) of ngc ms69 eagles 1986 to 2021type1 for $1,600- ($45.71 ea) and I know he will lower his price if I want them.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a quick sidebar question related to this topic: will the 2021 Morgan & Peace dollars spot like ASE or were they washed prior to striking?

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2022 Congratulations set ASE graded PCGS PR70DCAM has milk spots already. 🤯

• Options

My understanding is that milk spots are from soap residue that wasn’t properly rinsed from the planchette. So when minted becomes part of the coin. Not sure how acetone would solve this, nor that they “spontaneously” occur at some point years later.
    They are most common on 1950s mint and proof sets. I have had one on an ASE but not modern ones... seems a bit wrong to me to assume they are coming no matter what so sell them now so someone else has to deal with them... sounds like someone id rather not buy from

• Options

So sad, GB!
    This is a reminder of why I steer clear of Mint issued silver for the purpose of grading above 69 (69 closer to spot and assumed pre-spotted).

• Options

I’m a fan of the 69 grade. Milk spots are only one possibility. I don’t worry about the milk spots on 69’s, for me it’s poor quality such as dings and funky dark spots, weakly struck or struck through something 😉🙀🦫

The price is often right and I must say I have a lot of 69’s that look fantastic. 😁

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file