Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Look at these auction records !!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

For the hammer price for some of them, you could buy a comfortable house away from the coast in the US.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of all of those, the gold 1896 British trade dollar may have been the one to buy!

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this how you're keeping track of your purchases, @bidask ?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like I’m getting priced out of the things I collect. Or damn close to it!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 1:59PM

@Boosibri said:
    I feel like I’m getting priced out of the things I collect. Or damn close to it!

That’s what I said after ANA 2021.

Edited to add: And at that time, people were saying that collectors would just move to more affordable coins rather than exiting the hobby. Not exactly sure that will be the case, but we will see.

@Boosibri what will you do if you can't find anything suitable for your collection (as you have defined it) that you can afford? Would you redefine it, leave collecting, or something else?

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

I agree, prices on good dates and attractive coins have me mostly watching at this point.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Is this how you're keeping track of your purchases, @bidask ?

No not me !😄
    But I have to wonder if these coins are being bought by collectors in the US or across the pond ?😏

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 5:25PM

It is just a heads up from one auction house only. Numismatica Genevensis has been consistently smashing record after record for 20 years now and just a few months ago, NAC sold this lot, a record for this coin

https://www.arsclassicacoins.com/biddr/#!/auction/lot?a=2063&l=462

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

That’s what I said after ANA 2021.

Edited to add: And at that time, people were saying that collectors would just move to more affordable coins rather than exiting the hobby. Not exactly sure that will be the case, but we will see.

@Boosibri what will you do if you can't find anything suitable for your collection (as you have defined it) that you can afford? Would you redefine it, leave collecting, or something else?

I think my first thought is be that my budget would still allow for me to buy the coins I want, just significantly fewer of them. My second thought is that many of the coins I want or have in my collection today, I wouldn't perceive to be worth the cost at the new levels and may evolve my focuses accordingly.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    It is just a heads up from one auction house only. Numismatica Genevensis has been consistently smashing record after record for 20 years now and just a few months ago, NAC sold this lot, a record for this coin

https://www.arsclassicacoins.com/biddr/#!/auction/lot?a=2063&l=462

Wowee !

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    Out of all of those, the gold 1896 British trade dollar may have been the one to buy!

I totally agree with you. In fact this is the first time I saw such gold trade dollar. I searched HA and did not find any sales record.