Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bianchi Papal Architectural Medals - Moose & Squirrel

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Tale of Two Medals . . . . . .

I have owned this fantastic Bianchi Pope Pius IX architectural medal for quite a while now, and have seen other amazing medals posted to this site.
1868 Pope Pius IX / Vatican Raphael Loggias - 44mm (the Squirrel)

I splurged right before my covid Christmas and committed to purchase a Bianchi medal I have long wanted and desired.

Well . . . . . . . . .

1854 Pope Pius IX / Consecration of the Basilica of St. Paul - 82mm (the Moose)

Introducing, Moose & Squirrel

Thanks for looking.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 4:35PM

Has that view of the interior of the cathedral been reproduced? Something perhaps affordable. I love optical illusion,so to speak. Being a new medal collector I have a number of questions but this one will do for now. Thanks
    Such a nice medal 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 82mm medal is in outstanding condition for a medal of that size and age. Just think of how easy it would have been for a medal like that to have developed any number of problems over the past 165+ years!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I've been looking for one of these for over a year. Even beat up pieces command serious prices, especially those here in the States. I started watching EU listings exclusively as the sellers are closer to the "source." Prices from sellers in Italy seem to be the most affordable.

This medal came from a seller in Rome. Can't get much closer to the source than that . . . .

Z

@291fifth said:
    That 82mm medal is in outstanding condition for a medal of that size and age. Just think of how easy it would have been for a medal like that to have developed any number of problems over the past 165+ years!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're beautiful !

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister
    Congrats!
    Me too has been looking for that consecration of St. Paul Basilica and received mine last month. I ordered it November 5th and received it December 5th. I now have a the 82mm bronze version and a uniface white metal 82mm version of that St. Paul Basilica but I do have a uniface of the front of the basilica in white metal as well.
    So far I've seen 2 version of the 82mm medal...
    - 1st with Pope Pius IX in OBV and Basilica interior in REV
    - 2nd with Front of Basilica in OBV and Basilica interior in REV
    I have the 1st above and 2nd in both uniface medal
    Congrats again and I hope you are enjoying your medal as much as I do.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister... Wow... Spectacular..... What detail and amazing state of preservation. Thanks for showing us with such great pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hypnotized by that reverse.
    It has tremendous detail everywhere I look.
    My eyes will not leave it alone.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice.

Should we name it the "Bullwinkle" coin?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Thanks much for the nice comments everyone. The thing that's been the most difficult for me is learning to be patient enough to wait for the right piece to come along at the right price.

That can be difficult given the relative rarity of some of the pieces I collect. I could never be patient enough to be a standard "coin collector." Not enough variety in a series, and too much competition for the key dates.

Z

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice..👍👍🏼

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file