Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914-D Lincoln, Help Report this one "Link Added"

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2022 9:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not even close; I suppose there could be an unknown obverse/ mm location though B) ...

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just looks wrong - date too thin - obviously no match for the mint mark location.

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

    So, for me I tend to be drawn to the wide OPEN look of the mint mark (but those darn poor pictures)?
    Next, there is something about the long maybe to smooth chin profile going back to the throat (neck)?

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a bad feeling about this............................

    It just plain LOOKS wrong.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

    Cast counterfeit. In addition to the reasons above, Lincoln looks like a poor repro of 40's-50's examples.

    With that in mind, ref this one, sold for $ 700 with 74 bids:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/125092424038?hash=item1d2016e966:g:-AwAAOSwt5Fh24QM&nma=true&si=ufTR%2BGiwfOjuIvXQhh8Hxn8n0%2BY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

    can't be 99.99% sure to take down someone's auction

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:
    can't be 99.99% sure to take down someone's auction

    Are you less than 99.99% sure on this one?

  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wouldn't touch this one.

  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ya I’m with all the others on this one just doesn’t look right.



    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ouch, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD FAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE. Soft details and cast appearance.

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

    Were actually off to a good start in this thread, different people, different views, deeper research being done (people are digging) All GOOD!
    Something we must keep in mind!
    PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!
    I've started to post other questionable coins, and I've seen the listings go POOF before I ever posted them!
    I know, we know, that there is at lest one other TOTALLY different group of people, on a totally different forum that are looking for these, and they can (do) take action on these listings that's 100% outside of our control!!
    Keep reading!
    Disclaimer
    Until we have a general consensus in a thread like this, when links wasn't posted in the OP its not expected that anyone here take action on getting a listing taken down.
    I was told sometime back in a PM that its not possible to get ALL of THESE! but there is PLENTY that we can!
    Lastly!
    There has been changes of the minds with people currently in this thread, on other occasions, as NEW information and details turn up, and I'm not mentioning names B)

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

    that obverse finish looks the same as on other VDB that were 100% fake

    mm location on this one seems to be upper right.

    maybe the hair at forehead looks wrong and no adams apple, but I'm still licking my wounds on that recent 09SVDB I failed on.

    but if it looks wrong, something about it has to be name-able as being wrong. right?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't need to see the date or the reverse of this coin to tell you it's a modern overseas counterfeit.
    This one image is all you need to see, it doesn't matter what the date looks like or where the mint mark is.
    The overall look and lack of details tells you all you need to know.
    Is there a remote chance this is some type of strike thru or other error? Sure, but it doesn't have that appearance.
    It has the appearance of a modern counterfeit from overseas.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck....... it's a duck!
    It's easy to get caught up in over analyzing a coin.
    The obverse strike & finish is wrong, this gets back to "one and you're done."
    You only need to find 1 thing that is for sure wrong and you are done, there is no need to find 10 things wrong.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No like.

  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not an expert by any stretch, but my variation of the duck analogy is - when I see dog poop on the sidewalk, I don't stoop down and smell it or send it to a lab for analysis, I step over it and move on.

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 2:15PM

    @oldabeintx said:
    Not an expert by any stretch, but my variation of the duck analogy is - when I see dog poop on the sidewalk, I don't stoop down and smell it or send it to a lab for analysis, I step over it and move on.

    Exactly ;)

    Edited to add: I like your analogy better than mine. :)

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The G in GOD is crooked
    The nose is long and pointed
    The Adam’s apple
    The nape of the neck
    The ear is too thin

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:
    The G in GOD is crooked
    The nose is long and pointed
    The Adam’s apple
    The nape of the neck
    The ear is too thin

    All good examples of problems with this one and that's not even getting to the reverse. ;)
    It doesn't hurt to talk about all the things we see wrong and learn from it.

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ifthevamzarockin
    {"You only need to find 1 thing that is for sure wrong and you are done, there is no need to find 10 things wrong."

    "All good examples of problems with this one and that's not even getting to the reverse. ;)
    It doesn't hurt to talk about all the things we see wrong and learn from it." }

    ARGHHHH!!! Make up my mind........ :D

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The D looks a little too far left to still have the southeastern tilt. Plus the discoloration around the D is disturbing. Then that's my opinion.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steven59 said:
    @ifthevamzarockin
    {"You only need to find 1 thing that is for sure wrong and you are done, there is no need to find 10 things wrong."

    "All good examples of problems with this one and that's not even getting to the reverse. ;)
    It doesn't hurt to talk about all the things we see wrong and learn from it." }

    ARGHHHH!!! Make up my mind........ :D

    How dare you? :D
    You read and comprehend what I am saying and use my words against me!
    I'm gonna have to keep my eye on you...... kinda sounds like something I might do. :D>:)
    You stand a good chance to learn more here in a year than some will learn after after 10 years on the forum. ;)

    In my defense, the OP is trying to learn and trying to teach others in the process, if I shut down everything in the first few comments no one learns anything. The OP spends a bit of time to do this and it takes the fun out of it for him if it's over in 5 minutes. ;)
    It's another thing to beat the dead horse until everyone is confused about authenticity.

  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Many many years ago, a dealer bought a roll of circ 14-D's. Started looking at them and they all had the same markers but varied a little bit in grading.

    The counterfeiting has been tricky for a long time.

    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MarkW63 You can post a link to help get this one removed, it's better than waiting till close to auction closing.
    I looked but couldn't find this one, not sure what rabbit hole you found it in. ;)

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevefromne said:
    Cast counterfeit.

    I think it is die-struck (and NOT by the US Mint).

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 7:26PM

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @MarkW63 You can post a link to help get this one removed, it's better than waiting till close to auction closing.
    I looked but couldn't find this one, not sure what rabbit hole you found it in. ;)

    Boom!!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284610789883?hash=item42442001fb:g:JgIAAOSwSQ9h5N77
    I also edited the OP to include the link ;)

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 6:54PM

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    I don't need to see the date or the reverse of this coin to tell you it's a modern overseas counterfeit.
    This one image is all you need to see, it doesn't matter what the date looks like or where the mint mark is.
    The overall look and lack of details tells you all you need to know.
    Is there a remote chance this is some type of strike thru or other error? Sure, but it doesn't have that appearance.
    It has the appearance of a modern counterfeit from overseas.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck....... it's a duck!
    It's easy to get caught up in over analyzing a coin.
    The obverse strike & finish is wrong, this gets back to "one and you're done."
    You only need to find 1 thing that is for sure wrong and you are done, there is no need to find 10 things wrong.

    May I add, that the toning of these seems to be very COMMON, but with a genuine one its VERY rare! its chemically toned.

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

    @burfle23 said:
    Not even close; I suppose there could be an unknown obverse/ mm location though B) ...

    Link https://www.ebay.com/itm/284610789883?hash=item42442001fb:g:JgIAAOSwSQ9h5N77 ;)

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 9:56PM

    The listing for the coin in the OP has one day & 19hrs left!
    The bidding is up to $160.00
    I know of at lest one report already!

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Reported

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see this as a fake, not cast (no casting tells), likely struck, but too many points to fool those with experience. Even the general appearance (image etc.) will make experienced collectors pass. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I love to be enlightened by the details that say fake.
    I would not buy this coin.
    When I first saw this coin, I centered on the date, now I look at the whole coin.
    If I find one area or detail that says fake, I condemn it.
    I never looked at the Adam's apple but now I do.
    Education here is free and to me it is found in the forum members responses.
    Thanks to all.
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

    Poof! its gone!
    Job Well Done!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzULc_LA3w

    "I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file