Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found CRH September 28, 2017 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar Struck on Quarter Stock

For you viewing pleasure. I found this 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar Struck on Quarter Stock.

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 10:40AM

If on a quarter stock, should weigh around 5.670 grams; so if your scale is accurate at 8.8 grams, it is not struck on a quarter planchet. However... definitely lighter than the normal 11.34 grams expected for a half dollar. Perhaps struck on a foreign planchet?

----- kj

Also, what does the reeded edge look like... does it look like a clad coin, or is it solid metal of some sort? Magnetic? Aluminum? Perhaps a contemporary fake?

----- kj
  • arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Also, what does the reeded edge look like... does it look like a clad coin, or is it solid metal of some sort? Magnetic? Aluminum? Perhaps a contemporary fake?

Hello again From Numsimatic News Dated Jan 09 2009 by Ken Potter disagrees with your assessment. Thank you for your post. I do tend to do research before making such claims. I try to be as factual as I can.
    Hope this article helps. https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/kennedy-struck-on-quarter-stock

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    If on a quarter stock, should weigh around 5.670 grams; so if your scale is accurate at 8.8 grams, it is not struck on a quarter planchet. However... definitely lighter than the normal 11.34 grams expected for a half dollar. Perhaps struck on a foreign planchet?

He said on quarter stock, not on a quarter planchet.

The quarter planchet is thinner than the half dollar stock, but was punched in that [quarter] strip, and is therefore, larger & heavier than a quarter planchet.

Frank

BHNC #203

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

you found a genuine error.

what CaptHenway says goes.

it's a half dollar sized blank, but cut from the metal already rolled for the thinness of a quarter. this is why it is the right diameter but underweight.

congratulations.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a real nice find. Yes - "Stock" vs "Planchet" is a big difference.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. What does the edge look like?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody compiled a table of the weights of incorrect stock errors, either here or on CT, but I haven't been able To find it

Attached is a link that shows how to calculate the correct weight for these errors, if anyone is interested

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/determining-weight-essential-in-evaluating-wr.html

Member of the ANA since 1982

@CaptHenway said:

@tincup said:

You do not seem to understand what a wrong stock error is.

Planchet stock are those big rolls of really long sheet metal rolled to a thickness appropriate to only one denomination. Punch a quarter-sized blank out of quarter stock and you get a perfectly normal quarter blank. Punch a half dollar sized blank out of that quarter stock and you get something heavier, because it covers more area, but not a normal half dollar blank because it is thinner than it should be. That makes it lighter than a half dollar blank but heavier (and larger) than a quarter dollar blank.

I hope this helps.

Agreed... brain fog on my part, thinking planchet.

arby96, thanks for posting the article link. Absolutely a nice find!

----- kj
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a handful of these. Easy to tell when you hit one because they sound different than regular halves. Always a fun find, congrats!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a very interesting find. I have not seen a Kennedy half on incorrect stock before.... There have been other coins posted here of that condition. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an old thread where I explain the math for figuring out wrong stock errors.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11713767#Comment_11713767

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file