Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

8.783 gram 1971 Kennedy Half question

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the weight for Quarter thickness planchet?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

.....and it has the correct 'look' to it also for
    a Half dollar struck on Quarter Stock Thickness.

Nice find (if you found it)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

The math: The diameter of a quarter is 24.26 mm. Radius 12.13 mm. Radius squared times pi = 462.24 sq. mm.
    The diameter of a half is 30.61 mm. Radius 15.305 mm. Radius squared times pi = 723.634 sq. mm.
    The area of the half is 1.56548 times that of the area of the quarter, so if you punch a half dollar diameter blank out of quarter thickness stock you get an expected value of 8.87627 grams, basically what you have.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    The math: The diameter of a quarter is 24.26 mm. Radius 12.13 mm. Radius squared times pi = 462.24 sq. mm.
    The diameter of a half is 30.61 mm. Radius 15.305 mm. Radius squared times pi = 723.634 sq. mm.
    The area of the half is 1.56548 times that of the area of the quarter, so if you punch a half dollar diameter blank out of quarter thickness stock you get an expected value of 8.87627 grams, basically what you have.
    TD

I'll take your word on the math area was not my favorite part of math

• Options

The textbooks say that the formula is pi r squared, but Bill Fivaz insists that pie are round!
    :)

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pie R Squared, but Oreo's are Yummy

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The textbooks say that the formula is pi r squared, but Bill Fivaz insists that pie are round!
    :)

Bill Fivaz is absolutely correct: Pie are round, Cornbread are square.

• Options

No, it's worth 37-1/2 cents!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to know if you found it in change or a roll... or elsewhere...??? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I would like to know if you found it in change or a roll... or elsewhere...??? Cheers, RickO

still going through a large collection of errors I bought

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smittys....Thanks... I bet there are some real interesting pieces in the collection.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file