Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1903-S twenty Cent a sleeping giant?

Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2022 9:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 1903-s Philippine twenty centavos coin is a United States territorial coin. It is the first year of issue and is likely far more rare than the 1916 quarter and 1916D mercury dime in terms of survivors.

It has an official Mintage of 150k however most were lost or melted.

With seeing Philippines pesos 10-20x in price in the last couple years I expect the 20 centavos series to gain some traction.

The pcgs population is around 40 and I have been buying every one I see.

There are none on eBay that I can see compared to dozens of 1916d mercury dimes. I believe this will be the next coin to skyrocket in price

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a stand alone coin or how would you put in it a set?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but is it popular? Popularity trumps rarity.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supply may well be extremely limited. But demand???????

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict you will lose with your hoarding strategy.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demand will fail you.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many do you have in your collection? Also what is the grade range for the 40 PCGS has grades? @Panda4456 seems like a nice endeavor. Also what are the circulated to uncirculated price range for those pieces?
    Thanks
    Martin

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people like crown size coins. That’s why the Peso has gone up so much vs the minors.

Not likely to change.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    Is this a stand alone coin or how would you put in it a set?

The set would be from 1903-1945 I believe

• Options

@Martin said:
    How many do you have in your collection? Also what is the grade range for the 40 PCGS has grades? @Panda4456 seems like a nice endeavor. Also what are the circulated to uncirculated price range for those pieces?
    Thanks
    Martin

I have 4 in my collection soon to be 6. Mine are all raw circulated. I can find them anywhere from 20-40 bucks each.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. The price range is easy on the budget, Cant go wrong if you enjoy what your doing,
    Thanks for sharing
    Martin

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

@Catbert said:
    I predict you will lose with your hoarding strategy.

... or I will make an easy 10x

Not on circulated examples.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the demand isn’t there the value isn’t there.

I have a Civil War Token with fewer than 10 known examples (a nice chocolate brown XF), and it cost me about $50. Once you narrow it down to a specific variety, for a specific store, in a specific city/state there just aren’t a large number of collectors interested.

The number of known 1909-S VDB cents is estimated at between 25000 and 50000. It is not a rare coin. However, not only is it an extremely popular coin with a legendary background, but the number of Lincoln Cent collectors is enormous, and all of them need one to complete a set. The result = high prices.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 1903-S twenty Cent is a sleeping giant Panda4456

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

I think the 1903-S twenty Cent is a sleeping giant Panda4456

I collect silver pandas too lol

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never found one for sale. 1 on collectors corner for bid.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

There is one on vcoins as well however they are asking for too much and that’s why it’s available

• Options

@krueger said:
    Lots of nay sayers. I agree with you Panda!
    I have top number one Registry sets of U.S. Philippines. This is a rare coin. Remember nay sayers this coin says United States Of America on it! A PCGS 64 cost me $7000. After 45 years collecting the above I can count on one hand the number of this date in Unc grades I have seen. That's why the 64 went at auction for so much!
    Of the 7 denominations the twenty centavos in dates from 1903 to 1920 are the second toughest denomination
    To find in Unc grades. Some of these dates are a prize in XF or Au. Took me 10 years to complete a all 7 denomination circ set in uncleaned I XF -Au . 45 years to complete a slabbed unc set. Estimated only handful or less known.
    Many high ranked registry sets don't have all uncs.
    Regarding the 20 centavos 1903-S key date 150,000 mintage 90 % were melted at the time . Doing the math that leaves 15,000 extant. Many more were probably melted over the next hundred years to today.
    On par with the 1913--S barber quarter and less then the 1916 liberty standing quarter
    This series has some even scarcer dates. Deep pocket Philippine collectors are quite agressive in this market.
    Stacks Bowers recentLy commented to me that US Philippines is Hot! Hot! Hot!
    More books coming out soon.

Lots of US dealers along my collecting ways have socked away this underpriced series for years.
    Always suprises me how much they occasionaly pull out.

Thanks for that information I agree with you 100%. I see the enthusiasm all over Facebook and Reddit for the uspi coins. I bought another 1903s 20 centavos and I have 6 now. I will keep adding throughout the year. I believe the coin will be very valuable some day

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Buy when most don't care yet. Use to buy BU Philippine pesos for $25. In the late 70's into the 80's now they are
    Almost $1000 for an AU

• Options

@krueger said:
    Buy when most don't care yet. Use to buy BU Philippine pesos for $25. In the late 70's into the 80's now they are
    Almost $1000 for an AU

Exactly. I have a thought too. The pesos are so expensive right now that collectors or going to start dolls ring 50 centavos instead. Then when those get expensive they will start collecting 20 centavos

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tag.

I passed on an old type set of foreign stuff this past week. Looked like some kind of Whitman anyway I have zero knowledge and the Pawn shop was asking 1,100.00.
    Lots of big silver coins in the back of book.
    I'll go back next week and take some pics and post in the World Forum unless there happens to be a 1903 s I'll post here.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Tag.

I passed on an old type set of foreign stuff this past week. Looked like some kind of Whitman anyway I have zero knowledge and the Pawn shop was asking 1,100.00.
    Lots of big silver coins in the back of book.
    I'll go back next week and take some pics and post in the World Forum unless there happens to be a 1903 s I'll post here.

If you see any philippines coins in there let me know. I am looking to buy some of the older ones

• Options

How will I know? I'm guessing it'll say The Philippines on the coin, lol.

Will do.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem with hoarding if you start buying all of them up and you create your own competition. Other bidders bid harder, dealer take notice and raise prices and you get encouraged buy what you think is increased activity.

Problem is the sec you stop the two other people who wanted one get theirs and you’re stuck with the lot that dealers don’t want because the buyer disappeared.

The market is thinner than most people suspect and just a few buyer in can raise the tide but the opposite is true too.

Hoard 1854d 3$ Or 1838d gold and you’ll do alright

• Options

@Crypto said:
    Problem with hoarding if you start buying all of them up and you create your own competition. Other bidders bid harder, dealer take notice and raise prices and you get encouraged buy what you think is increased activity.

Problem is the sec you stop the two other people who wanted one get theirs and you’re stuck with the lot that dealers don’t want because the buyer disappeared.

The market is thinner than most people suspect and just a few buyer in can raise the tide but the opposite is true too.

Hoard 1854d 3$ Or 1838d gold and you’ll do alright

Or if there are only a few hundred survivors out there and I buy them all I will raise the price to 1 million dollars lol

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 .... Looks as if you have done your research, and are aware of the demand/rarity issue. Good luck with your endeavor. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    I have top number one Registry sets of U.S. Philippines. This is a rare coin. Remember nay sayers this coin says United States Of America on it! A PCGS 64 cost me $7000. After 45 years collecting the above I can count on one hand the number of this date in Unc grades I have seen. That's why the 64 went at auction for so much!
    Of the 7 denominations the twenty centavos in dates from 1903 to 1920 are the second toughest denomination
    To find in Unc grades. Some of these dates are a prize in XF or Au. Took me 10 years to complete a all 7 denomination circ set in uncleaned I XF -Au . 45 years to complete a slabbed unc set. Estimated only handful or less known.
    Regarding the 20 centavos 1903-S key date 150,000 mintage 90 % were melted at the time . Doing the math that leaves 15,000 extant. Many more were probably melted over the next hundred years to today.
    On par with the 1913--S barber quarter and less then the 1916 liberty standing quarter
    This series has some even scarcer dates. Deep pocket Philippine collectors are quite agressive in this market.

Lots of US dealers along my collecting ways have socked away this underpriced series for years.

We “naysayers” can appreciate rarity and low supply. At the same time, we don’t disregard (the lack of strong) demand.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

This is a much later issue and the reverse is different. But it's the first of two I've bought in what looks like an attractive series. (The second one goes in for crossover soon, in the same order as some Mercury dimes.) I like learning more about these.

• Options

@planetsteve said:
    This is a much later issue and the reverse is different. But it's the first of two I've bought in what looks like an attractive series. (The second one goes in for crossover soon, in the same order as some Mercury dimes.) I like learning more about these.

Great coin!

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Panda4456 .... Looks as if you have done your research, and are aware of the demand/rarity issue. Good luck with your endeavor. Cheers, RickO

Thanks!

• Options

@MFeld said:
    @krueger said:

We “naysayers” can appreciate rarity and low supply. At the same time, we don’t disregard (the lack of strong) demand.

One of the few home runs I saw was dick Osborn who made a mint with low mintage, late date seated halves. But part of that was timing, someone was going to be holding them when collectors noticed

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

If there was demand, they wouldn't be sleeping ;)

• Options

The question in my mind is who is going to wake them up?

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 9:42AM

There are a few years with lower pops, and even so, the 1903-S doesn't seem to be that much lower than other years.

I'm not sure what the NGC pops and raw coins look like, but going on this, I'd venture that the 1903-S 20 Cent won't be another 1916-D dime.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/u-s-philippines-1903-1945/943/0?t=4&p=MS&pn=1

• Options

@Zoins said:
    There are a few years with lower pops, and even so, the 1903-S doesn't seem to be that much lower than other years.

I'm not sure what the NGC pops and raw coins look like, but going on this, I'd venture that the 1903-S 20 Cent won't be another 1916-D dime.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/u-s-philippines-1903-1945/943/0?t=4&p=MS&pn=1

It is a cycle effect right? The pop reports so low populations but that is due to low submission which is due to low value & popularity. When they are in line with the other lower populations that means they are getting submitted the same as the rest of the series.

• Options

I am thinking a high % of the 1903s population was submitted compared to a low percentage of the other dates

• Options

For example, there are more 1916d mercury dimes submitted than a lot of other dates.

• Options

Well apparently they are Mexican coins but for what it’s worth here they are.
    Just let me know if you’re interested and I’ll go pick them up tomorrow before heading to the rally :-)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1100.00? :o:o:o

@Coinscratch said:
    Just let me know if you’re interested and I’ll go pick them up tomorrow before heading to the rally :-)

• Options

@amwldcoin Yea, I didn't understand the price tag either. There would have to be something special in there other than the 20 or so silver coins. I only know the first thing about world coins, there not from here...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

There is one on vcoins as well however they are asking for too much and that’s why it’s available

That's a little ironic since you expect the coin to go up 10x. Are they asking 11x?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The question in my mind is who is going to wake them up?

There has been a lot of interest in the Philippines series in recent years with prices escalating far more than other U.S. coinage. That said, as someone else has noted, the smaller coins have not seem the same appreciation as the Pesos.

Will they? I don't know. The fact that the Pesos are getting a lot of attention, it is possible that the 20 centavos (and 10 and 5 and 1) have seen about as much movement as they were going to.

They are in the Red Book. They are U.S. territorial coinage.

My crystal ball remains permanently broken.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2022 5:41PM

A well known dealer who has dealt in US PHILIPPINE coins for decades told me years ago he has never lost money on nice Philippine coins. Can't keep nice ones stocked. Having hunted Bourse floors ,mail lists, plus 20 + ANA shows
    Since 1975 I can attest to the fact that nice ones and some not so nice disappear in the first pass of a collector or dealer! More intense now than ever. Because of this, prices have advanced highly on even the not so nice ones.
    Years ago I could come home from a single Bourse with half a dozen coins now I may find two or three a year that are acceptable at quite high prices and have to race around the Bourse to out distance the more and more competitors. Too many Burros and fewer and fewer corn husks!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

Even though beat up the album without the coins is worth quite a bit.
    Very nice collection.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see $1100 worth of coins in that. Maybe if they where all unc.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Being that it’s a pawn shop and the condition of the book he would prolly jump at a 60% offer. But it’s not for me.

• Options

I bought two more 1903s twenty centavos. I have a total of 8 now. Pretty soon I’m going to have 1% of the survivors lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file