Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever "find" a coin that you didn't know you HAD . . . . ?

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was digging through a few old coin books last night - three ring binders with plastic sheets full of 2x2 cardbord flips containing coins of dubious value to be dealt with "later."

I just happened to be going through a sheet of 1923 Peace Dollars and in the middle of the sheet, in an unmarked flip, I found this one . . . . . .

I have always wanted one but they have become pricey over the last year or two since I've "reconnected" with numismatics.

I didn't think I had one, or would ever own one in the near future . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

I found a variety recently in the safe that I didn't realize I picked up. There are bunches of coins that I got decades ago in the safe that might be a surprise if I ever get around to reorganizing the safe.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I was digging through a few old coin books last night - three ring binders with plastic sheets full of 2x2 cardbord flips containing coins of dubious value to be dealt with "later."

I just happened to be going through a sheet of 1923 Peace Dollars and in the middle of the sheet, in an unmarked flip, I found this one . . . . . .

I have always wanted one but they have become pricey over the last year or two since I've "reconnected" with numismatics.

I didn't think I had one, or would ever own one in the near future . . . . . .

Z

Not only a 1921 peace, but AU? Maybe 55? Nice!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever open some boxes from two moves ago, I am sure I will find coins I have long forgotten. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Very nice example!

Can I search the rest of your binders? :D

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a Liberty Seated Quarter in a 2x2 behind my bookshelve when I moved rooms a few years ago, that I to this day do not remember buying. I had bought one for my 1st 7070 but it wasn't this nice. So I checked my 7070 and the one I bought was still there. Weird not remembering having purchased it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never, but I have had trouble finding a coin I knew I did have on many occasions.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very pleasantly surprised to be finding
    'stuff' as I close down, in the back of a cabinet,
    safe, bookshelf, etc.

Just sold a non-precious metal China Mint Proof Set
    on eBay for just under $5,000 - Didn't know I had it,
    or a second set to boot !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 1:11PM

Had an accumulation of 1811 Cohen-1 half cents (probably the largest of group of them). I was doing them for all of the die states: from virgin through the 4-star cud break. Thought all of them had long since been sold when I located a raw one in a box. So I added it to an ANACS submission and sold it.

• Options

@ricko said:
    If I ever open some boxes from two moves ago, I am sure I will find coins I have long forgotten. Cheers, RickO

And other things also, no doubt... Pets? 🤔

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@ricko said:

And other things also, no doubt... Pets? 🤔

Anyday better than finding "wives" that you had and did not know you had :p:wink:

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 5:04PM

Great timing, this just happened to me yesterday!
    I was looking for a raw 1813 bust half in one of my drawers. I was having a PM convo and wanted to send a pic to confirm the marriage, when I found that I actually had two 🙂

• Options

When I dusted off my collection a few months ago, and looked through my barber quarter folder, I was pleased and surprised to find a 1914s. Semi key! I don't remember buying it. It's VG08 with a little chunk taken out of the rim. Great for an album. :smile:

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one...

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to start searching your junk bins gents . . . . and you too @coinsarefun . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    I was looking for a raw 1813 bust half in one of my drawers. I was having a PM convo and wanted to send a pic to confirm the marriage, when I found that I actually had two 🙂

O-102 or O-104?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@jayPem said:

O-102 or O-104?

This one is o-104, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the other, I forgot I ever had it!
    It's the o-102... same reverse, surprisingly similar obverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file