Home Sports Talk
Options

Why are the Cowboys so hated?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious, what is it about this team that people dislike so much? Nick Bosa took the time to troll the Cowboys today on social media.

Comments

• Options

Can't we hate Aaron Rodgers? At least Dak Prescott doesn't show us his toes.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think they are as hated as you think, they are like the Patriots. People love them or HATE them.

The biggest problem with Dallas is the hype around them every year and “Contender” talk when they have sucked since the mid 90’s

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

They're hated because of that ridiculous "America's team" baloney. No, they're not America's team and they haven't been any good for 25 years. They're hated because everyone hates Jerry Jones. And they're hated because they're on national TV every freaking week, even when they play lousy teams. Does anyone outside of Texas and New York really want to watch the Cowboys play the Giants all the time?

• Options

Interesting, but I still say we should hate Aaron Rodgers, at least Dak Prescott doesn't look like the villain from Superman 2.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2022 7:06PM
    1. They have history of running up the score on much weaker opponents. This dates all the way back to Tom Landry. As an Eagles’ fan I have witnessed this for many years.
    2. The “America’s team” thing. They aren’t my team; speak for yourself.
    3. It seems like every key game is always played In Dallas. The league seems to make schedule for them.
    4. There are a bunch of fans, who don’t live anywhere near Dallas, who wear the blue and white whenever Dallas is winning. This “I’m with the winners” stuff gets tiresome. “How about them ‘Boys!”
    5. Next to the New York Giants, they get more than their share of undeserved, excessive publicity.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

When there were only 3 stations ( I know, covered wagon days ) in Buffalo the Bills would always play at 1:00. The second game at 4:00 was the Cowboys against anyone. So you either loved them or hated them. So this is a 50 year hate relationship.
    Second there are fans that bandwagon jump on winning teams. Cowboys and more recently New England. Anyone can jump on a winning and call the their team. Why do you think the New England thread on this board has 200 or 300 posts. I bet 90% of posters never been to New England, probably thinks it south of Ireland. So yeah that’s where the hate comes from. Fortunately for the Cowboys bandwagoners the mid 1990’s are a long, long, long time ago

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    1. They have history of running up the score on much weaker opponents. This dates all the way back to Tom Landry. As an Eagles’ fan I have witnessed this for many years.
    3. It seems like every key game is always played In Dallas. The league seems to make schedule for them.
    4. There are a bunch of fans, who don’t live anywhere near Dallas, who wear the blue and white whenever Dallas is winning. This “I’m with the winners” stuff gets tiresome. “How about them ‘Boys!”
    5. Next to the New York Giants, they get more than their share of undeserved, excessive publicity.

What Bill said, but to pile on, alot of folks are pretty tired of the jerry too short jones act as well............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their entitlement always rubbed me the wrong way

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Definitely, whole heartedly agree on #2.

I'd also add all of the publicity they get & create. How many other owners can you name or easily identify?

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@BillJones said:

I'd also add all of the publicity they get & create. How many other owners can you name or easily identify?

The Bills wear red, white and blue. They are America’s team. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@VikingDude said:

@BillJones said:

The Patriots logo literally screams America!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@VikingDude said:

@BillJones said:

Love the logo. I’m old school. Loved the hiking Patriot and standing Buffalo from the 60’s too.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this in another section of this Forum and thought about this thread................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@VikingDude said:

@BillJones said:

Love the logo. I’m old school. Loved the hiking Patriot and standing Buffalo from the 60’s too.

I'm old school too. :p

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Love those old programs of the AFL. Not the 3 yards and a cloud of dust of the NFL. Colorful and creative.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Huh ?

Historically speaking, the Giants and Steelers are the reason the league has survived and then ultimately thrived. Some coverage is warranted for the original franchises. But I’m not aware of the Giants getting anywhere near the national coverage of the Cowboys. If anything the narrative about the G-men is how bad they’ve been for ten years.

As a Giant fan, I know they have earned that and it is well deserved coverage.

I also believe you to be a Patriots fan so I get why you hate the Giants. But since we won in 2011, we have been increasingly irrelevant each passing year and coverage and fan interest levels have clearly waned. As a child, there was no chance to get Giants season tickets and you’d have to wait on a list for years. Now you can have them for next year - every year.

To me, that is the most telling. This once mighty franchise that had been consistently good and competitive for decades have been Jets level bad for a decade.

Just imagine Bob Kraft getting it all wrong starting the day Bellichek retired and the once mighty Patriots finishing in last for a decade…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Just imagine Bob Kraft getting it all wrong starting the day Bellichek retired and the once mighty Patriots finishing in last for a decade…

Nah, Bob Kraft will have a "happy ending"................

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    They're hated because of that ridiculous "America's team" baloney. ............And they're hated because they're on national TV every freaking week.........

That about sums it up.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 3:23PM

But I’m not aware of the Giants getting anywhere near the national coverage of the Cowboys.

That's because the Giants have not had a good team for a while. Whenever they get a player who is colorful or good, he gets coverage than a similar player would get in a "fly over city."

Look at Odell Beckum. When he was a Giant, he got loads of coverage. When he went to Cleveland, he was just another wide receiver. Now that he's "gone Hollywood," he'll be getting a lot of coverage again.

I am also an Eagle's fan. So that's another reason why I don't like the Giants. You are right. I don't like them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are America's Team - why shouldn't they be put on a pedestal LOL :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    They are America's Team - why shouldn't they be put on a pedestal LOL :D

This kind of pedestal? Either way, they are always "carved" up...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 1:54AM

@BillJones said:

But I’m not aware of the Giants getting anywhere near the national coverage of the Cowboys.

That's because the Giants have not had a good team for a while. Whenever they get a player who is colorful or good, he gets coverage than a similar player would get in a "fly over city."

Look at Odell Beckum. When he was a Giant, he got loads of coverage. When he went to Cleveland, he was just another wide receiver. Now that he's "gone Hollywood," he'll be getting a lot of coverage again.

I am also an Eagle's fan. So that's another reason why I don't like the Giants. You are right. I don't like them.

Beckhams first 3 seasons in NY were excellent. He also had another very good year while in NY. That's why he got coverage, plus the catch plus the persona. He would have gotten that coverage no matter where played. In NY it just gets amplified but he was balling. In Cleveland he had one ok year and stunk it up the rest of his tenure as a Brown. There was nothing to hear. Nothing to see. Nothing to cover.

Now that OBJ is a Ram if he plays well you will hear about it. If he sucks not so much and he'll be on a new team next year

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

The cowboys are attention and drama seekers. They are the Kardashians of the NFL

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@BillJones said:

Beckhams first 3 seasons in NY were excellent. He also had another very good year while in NY. That's why he got coverage, plus the catch plus the persona. He would have gotten that coverage no matter where played. In NY it just gets amplified but he was balling. In Cleveland he had one ok year and stunk it up the rest of his tenure as a Brown. There was nothing to hear. Nothing to see. Nothing to cover.

Now that OBJ is a Ram if he plays well you will hear about it. If he sucks not so much and he'll be on a new team next year

m

OBJ in just 6 games has shown he was not the problem in Cleveland. From all reports he’s a great teammate. Unfortunately Cleveland fans can’t see the forest for the trees. Trading Mayfield should be the #1 priority in the off season. Johnny Manzell 2.0 is the only thing holding that team down. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mitch Trubisky starting with another team this year.

W.C.Fields