Home Precious Metals

2022 inflation report thread

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    My wife asked if she should cancel her Netflix subscription , today. My answer is always the same : " Don't "should" on yourself.
    As to inflation? We get half as many good movies for twice the price.

Who needs movies when you can just go take a walk outside. Enjoy life brother. Cancel the nflx. RGDS!

I'll give ya the wife's number. I don't watch much. It was just an incidental " inflation" report. Seemed worthy and telling. Personally, I haven't paid for cable or streaming since my daughters lived at home. Better part of 15 years. I've put that extra money in the "gutter metal", brother.

Did the same when I got off the cancer sticks back in 2013. I was at 2 packs a day, somewhere around $10-12 a day to prematurely kill myself. Those dollars got diverted to gutter, can't say it was the smartest place to divert the funds but I sure do breathe easier. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@cohodk said:

Thats about the only good thing that day....other than the enlightenment.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trust them, they have no idea what they are doing.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@derryb said:
    Trust them, they have no idea what they are doing.

It's totally intentional or total incompetence!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@derryb said:
    Swelling inventory of non-commodity retail goods setting up for a widespread liquidation of retail prices.

"we have entered the terminal phase of the "bullwhip effect", where plunging inventory-to-sales ratios reverse violently higher, where supply chains unclog suddenly and rapidly amid a sudden chill in the economy, and where prices for so-called "core" goods collapse almost overnight, even as non-core prices (food and energy) explode even higher."

Bloated inventories hit Walmart, Target and other retailers’ profits, trucking demand

Let the deflation begin!

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Time to buy? LOL

• RobMRobM Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@RobM said:
    UVXY sits below $15.

jumped back in @ 13.45, got tired of waiting for a reversal with ETH.

I see that you sold on 6/16 at 11AM EDT,

@RobM said:

@derryb said:

@RobM said:
    UVXY sits below $15.

jumped back in @ 13.45, got tired of waiting for a reversal with ETH.

I see that you sold on 6/16 at 11AM EDT,

going with ETH

edited June 23, 2022 3:03PM

The FED's fight against inflation: Demand destruction

Raising the availability of money (higher loan rates) is but just one tool.

An engineered increase in unemployment is also in the cards. No income, no demand. Looks like a recession is guaranteed. I personally believe the FED will cut rates beginning 2023.

as fear of recession grows look for commodity prices to decline.

While puny interest rate increases will not cure inflation it is likely that a recession will do the trick. Again, no job, no income. No income, no demand.

@derryb said:

While puny interest rate increases will not cure inflation it is likely that a recession will do the trick. Again, no job, no income. No income, no demand.

Isnt that what Volcker did, yet he is remembered quite favorably by many on this forum?

edited June 25, 2022 9:14PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Isnt that what Volcker did, yet he is remembered quite favorably by many on this forum?

You mean swallowing the necessary, nasty tasting medicine all at once?

Shoulda done it with the 08 housing crisis, why in the world would they consider it now?

Volcker is favorably remembered for boldly putting aside politics and bank favoritism to effectively squash inflation. The current clown show will be remembered for causing inflation and fueling it with failure to act.

there's that word "temporary" again:

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those "temporary fees" are annoying... and certainly expensive.

Anyone who has been shopping for a new vehicle probably can give some stories about those also. Lots of 'extra' charges being tacked on.

----- kj

The Great Crash of 2022

"It is worth pointing out that the Fed is really a one-trick pony: all it can do is create money, either directly or indirectly by giving banks the reserves necessary for bank credit expansion. All the stuff about setting interest rates is secondary, if not irrelevant: the market always and everywhere sets interest rates. Central banks can only influence interest rates by, you guessed it, printing money."

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The Great Crash of 2022

"It is worth pointing out that the Fed is really a one-trick pony: all it can do is create money, either directly or indirectly by giving banks the reserves necessary for bank credit expansion. All the stuff about setting interest rates is secondary, if not irrelevant: the market always and everywhere sets interest rates. Central banks can only influence interest rates by, you guessed it, printing money."

before the balance sheet explosion from the housing bubble, there was no MMT. look to their overnight rates as well as repos and even reverse repos. the repo operations are what keep it in the band.... almost totally.

So i disagree with the above.

anyway, what does this have to do with the price of eggs in costco?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jewel had eggs on sale. 18 egg carton cage free large $2.23 I bought two should have bought four they don’t expire for over a month. Since someone mentioned eggs.

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:
    The Great Crash of 2022

before the balance sheet explosion from the housing bubble, there was no MMT. look to their overnight rates as well as repos and even reverse repos. the repo operations are what keep it in the band.... almost totally.

So i disagree with the above.

anyway, what does this have to do with the price of eggs in costco?

price of eggs in costco is dependent on FED's control of the money supply and their attempt to control inflation with higher interest rates.

@derryb said:

What the hell is Bibb & Blue ?

edited June 27, 2022 5:20PM

@JimTyler said:

@derryb said:

What the hell is Bibb & Blue ?

Not sure but to me it sounds quite nasty. RGDS!

Edit: Curiosity got the best of me. Appears to be a salad at the Macaroni Grill.

Why didn’t I think of that. I’m the google master. As a matter of fact 99% (maybe more) of my genius is google.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Those "temporary fees" are annoying... and certainly expensive.

Anyone who has been shopping for a new vehicle probably can give some stories about those also. Lots of 'extra' charges being tacked on.

While this isn't the most credible source, I thought this was an interesting and overall well-written article on new car prices and other metrics for dealers. It's not painting a pretty picture:

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/06/26/consumer-still-pay-no-matter-what-for-new-vehicles-as-average-transaction-price-hits-record-45844-in-june-amid-inventory-shortages-record-per-unit-gross-profits

I'm very lucky I bought my Ford explorer (bought a used 2017 sport w/28k miles) in October 2020 in Connecticut. I paid more than I wanted $36k out the door, but got a good car with all the bells and whistles. The car industry fell apart soon thereafter. I remember when I was meeting with the sales manager, they were asking about how I was going to pay for the loan. Told them I got a 2.25% loan through my credit union for 3 years. They offered me an EIGHT YEAR LOAN at like 3%. They said almost everyone has 5+ year loans these days and with the average price tag of a new vehicle averaging $45,844 in June. Isn't the median US household income like $55,000?!? What is going on...

• RobMRobM Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 2:17PM

@ShadyDave ,
    Median US household income is approaching $70K. But you can't necessarily equate a median income with affordability of a median priced new passenger vehicle. That's because the median vehicle age is around 12 years old. Someone of median income is likely (or at least should be) either purchasing an economy priced basic new vehicle, or a used vehicle. Walking, riding a bike, moped, scooter, public transportation, 12 year old car, etc., all fit into the affordability of the transportation spectrum. Same thing with housing. Median prices of $400K are likely out of reach realistically for median income. But when you add in renting an apartment or a room as alternatives, it's not imperative that the median income person be able to afford purchase of a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Looks like someone bought about $5 worth of food and $30 worth of "service"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

The Strangest Recession of Our Lifetimes

"Perhaps the best term for our times is “reckoning.” Thanks to massive government spending and the magic printing press, the administrative state created a fake world in which the overclass thrived for at least two years. Some might say that this fakery actually began in 2008 and continued through the whole decade."

"This time, we face something completely different. There is a huge shortage of workers willing to earn relatively lower incomes, show up to the office, earn wages, and actually work with their hands, drive the trucks, move the boxes, and make the food. There is, on the other hand, a huge surplus of workers demanding huge salaries to stare at screens, stay home, gossip on Slack, and otherwise deploy their generous benefits packages to their maximum extent."

"In the end, economic reality can be slow to dawn but the dawn can burn very bright once it happens. This inflationary recession will be one for the ages. It could be a rare instance in which the overclass itself feels the most pain while workers with actual skills and the desire to produce will find a way to make it through despite every obstacle."

@derryb said:

"Perhaps the best term for our times is “reckoning.” Thanks to massive government spending and the magic printing press, the administrative state created a fake world in which the overclass thrived for at least two years. Some might say that this fakery actually began in 2008 and continued through the whole decade."

"This time, we face something completely different. There is a huge shortage of workers willing to earn relatively lower incomes, show up to the office, earn wages, and actually work with their hands, drive the trucks, move the boxes, and make the food. There is, on the other hand, a huge surplus of workers demanding huge salaries to stare at screens, stay home, gossip on Slack, and otherwise deploy their generous benefits packages to their maximum extent."

"In the end, economic reality can be slow to dawn but the dawn can burn very bright once it happens. This inflationary recession will be one for the ages. It could be a rare instance in which the overclass itself feels the most pain while workers with actual skills and the desire to produce will find a way to make it through despite every obstacle."

The Robinhood Recession?

The strong dollar recession.

Dollar not so strong at the gas pumps and the grocery store cash registers. LOL

The dollar is strong but stuff is stronger.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Lol overclass. Is this zero hedge again?

@derryb said:

Cost me > @derryb said:

3 years ago it took 20,000 oz of silver to buy the average home. Today it takes 27,000 ounces.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Cost me > @derryb said:

3 years ago it took 20,000 oz of silver to buy the average home. Today it takes 27,000 ounces.

could have something (or a lot) to do with houseflation. Appears dollar also not so strong with real estate. lol

I've seen that woman before:

edited July 19, 2022 1:11PM

I don’t know what she did but she’s guilty or constipated. She’s definitely hiding something.

• bg1856bg1856 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I would guess excluding home

• bg1856bg1856 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I would guess excluding home

@derryb said:

What would happen if wages consistantly outperformed inflation?

edited July 23, 2022 10:21AM

@cohodk said:

What would happen if wages consistantly outperformed inflation?

Wages cannot consistantly outperform inflation. More disposable income from higher wages results in more dollars chasing the same or less amount of goods thus price inflation. Historically inflation, however it is driven, creates a need for higher wages in order for the worker to keep up with inflation. Once one can keep up with inflation it is simply a matter of time before the workforce once again needs/demands an increase in wages. As the chart shows it is an continuous cycle. This is why it is irrelevant that the price of of a loaf of breads was once 25 cents.

Wages are a cost of production. As they increase so does the need to increase the price of what is produced. Profit (also a cost of production) will not be sacrificed to keep prices in check when it is time to raise wages. This is why a rise in minimum wage always results in a more expensive, or smaller, Big Mac. Ironically, product shrinkflation is the new stealth price increase.

@derryb said:

ETFs/ETNs I like with current price:
    natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    multiple natural resources (USCI) 61.85
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

That's why they call him Ace. Of course, he sold long ago all with extreme profits, just forgot to tell you. RGDS!

o> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

I liked them at that price before the stock panic of 2022 and I like them even better now that they show relative strength in a rapidly deteriorating market

@derryb said:
    o> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

natural gas (UNG) 29.72
    agriculture (FTAG) 30.56
    copper (CPER) 26.04
    and uranium (URA) 22.39

10/27 update
    UNG---19.83
    USCI---54.44
    FTAG---29.09
    CPER---21.40
    URA---21.00

I liked them at that price before the stock panic of 2022 and I like them even better now that they show relative strength in a rapidly deteriorating market

May want to look at oil. RGDS!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

here comes deflation

could not believe how much lumber has come down when I bought some 2x4's the other day.

edited October 28, 2022 5:05PM

Big box stores find themselves overstocked after overcompensating in their supply shortage purchases coupled with fed reserve driven demand reduction (increase in unemployment). Finding some great sale on electronics at Costco.

@derryb said:
    Big box stores find themselves overstocked after overcompensating in their supply shortage purchases coupled with fed reserve driven demand reduction (increase in unemployment). Finding some great sale on electronics at Costco.

And then farmers will plant more crops and raise more meats. Chickens will lay more eggs.

The upside-down world of currency

"The gap between fiat currency values and that of legal money, which is gold, has widened so that dollars retain only 2% of their pre-1970s value, and for sterling it is as little as 1%. Yet it is commonly averred that currency is money, and gold is irrelevant."

The result of inflation. Small percentages of inflation over the years are like boiling a frog. Hint: the frog dies.

This discussion has been closed.