Home Precious Metals

2022 inflation report thread

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@meluaufeet said:
    @derryb I think you meant to say Rate Increases and QE reductions, to which I agree.

correct, fixed it.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

So only the $3T in MBS are not shown in the national debt numbers?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

emergency rate hike before the next FED meeting? FED's in another pickle. lol

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Limes - $1 each somewhere in CT

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    So only the $3T in MBS are not shown in the national debt numbers?

MBS are Not part of the national debt numbers…

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said: FED's in another pickle

Even on this sometimes contentious board, I’m guessing there may be a broad consensus on this.

I’d bet against an emergency rate hike, however.

Higashiyama
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2022 5:44PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Limes - $1 each somewhere in CT

10 for a $ buck last I checked. The Dos Equis on the other hand out of control. Enjoy life my friend. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home heating fuel here in the Consumption State, aka CT is up nearly 50% from one year ago, $4 bucks a gallon in a couple weeks. The Buckeye Terminal in Groton is empty and not expecting a tanker till Monday. Burning more wood than usual not because I want to, I have to, pure survival mode for me.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

My coworkers are officially panicking over inflation. It's sad but somewhat comical to sit back and watch.

Just got zapped for the 1000 gallon propane tank fill @ $2.32 a gallon. Don't think I've ever paid more than $1.80. Inflation? Perhaps, but more likely price gouging by the parasites running the commodities market.

Even more comical while my gold is up very nicely but it's still nowhere near the level it should be with all the chaos in the "world".

THKS!

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude $2.32 is a good price in this climate. My neighbor has an above ground 500 for heat, HW, cooking and a log set and is paying $2.74.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a combination of inflation and greed. People want raises and companies raise prices to cover or we kill them in the stock market. There's no free lunch, and McD paying $18/hour gets passed right through. Take a family of 4 to fast food right now, it will set you back $30+.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

@morgansforever said:
    @blitzdude $2.32 is a good price in this climate. My neighbor has an above ground 500 for heat, HW, cooking and a log set and is paying $2.74.

Negotiated cash price plus I own my own tank so we can shop around. Still outrageously high. I couldn't even imagine paying $2.74. Glad we supplement with the wood burner and thank goodness the end of winter is on the horizon.

Sure wish the gas company would come in and drill a well. Few farms on my road get free NG as long as their well keeps producing. I inquired a few years back about running a line up to the house and was quoted just north of $10k for the line. No thanks,

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was 87 degrees here yesterday in SoCal, almost turned on the AC B)

edited February 12, 2022 3:44PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Back in the day when I lived in SoCal we didn't even have AC, I don't think our vehicles did either.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2022 12:34PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I turn mine on when it’s 78 I’m in Chicago the humidity kills me.

• JimWJimW Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    My coworkers are officially panicking over inflation. It's sad but somewhat comical to sit back and watch.

Just got zapped for the 1000 gallon propane tank fill @ $2.32 a gallon. Don't think I've ever paid more than $1.80. Inflation? Perhaps, but more likely price gouging by the parasites running the commodities market.

Even more comical while my gold is up very nicely but it's still nowhere near the level it should be with all the chaos in the "world".

THKS!

Inflation or not, it is still the same $ out of your pocket.
    I am glad I bought into our local supplier prebuy last fall at 1.85 gallon, just got filled and have about 200 gals left still to be delivered at that price :)
    BTW- south central PA

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hit the local publix for goodies for the game tomorrow. Lots of BOGO action which was a nice surprise. Baby backs and spare ribs on BOGO at ~$6-7/lb. Last time I stocked the freezer up last year they were ~$3/lb or so. Lots of other stuff too that was priced double but half off, gotta catch the sales but didn't feel like a wash.

Family joke. My wife’s mom during a family conversation referred to Publix’s as Pubics before someone finally corrected her. Even she laughed and she didn’t have the greatest sense of humor.

edited February 16, 2022 9:04AM

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• RobMRobM Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Russia/Ukraine situation... What are the odds the Fed never hikes, or only hikes 50 basis points or less this year despite inflationary pressures largely from energy price spikes?

Food is more expensive

Tv news said rents in my state are seeing 10-20% increases

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

I remember filling up my 35 gallon RAM dually in CA and having to run my credit card through twice becasue the pump automatically shut off at $125.

Ah, for the good old days of economic shutdown with less traffic, open tables at restraurants and readily available hotel rooms.

edited February 25, 2022 8:37AM

@cohodk said:
    I remember filling up my 35 gallon RAM dually in CA and having to run my credit card through twice becasue the pump automatically shut off at $125.

Ah, for the good old days of economic shutdown with less traffic, open tables at restraurants and readily available hotel rooms.

yep, all is good until they come for you. lol

@MsMorrisine said:
    Food is more expensive

Tv news said rents in my state are seeing 10-20% increases

While rental property owners do face some higher costs, It's a guarantee most are guilty of price gouging. This is one area where the consequences can be devastating and price controls should be implemented to protect those who can least afford to fund the greed.

I remember filling up my 26

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

yep, all is good until they come for you. lol

Who is "they"?

Should i be prepared?

edited February 25, 2022 9:31AM

@cohodk said:

Who is "they"?

Should i be prepared?

they hide themselves. Be prepared. lol

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filled my Ram up w/ethanol free yesterday, $3.80 here in our unincorporated side of the ATL burbs. Saw regular the next incorporated city spot up the road for $3.89.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Who is "they"?

Should i be prepared?

they hide themselves.

You mean the Boogeyman?

M80 ball...same price as a year ago. Am i prepared?

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Who is "they"?

Should i be prepared?

they hide themselves.

You mean the Boogeyman?

M80 ball...same price as a year ago. Am i prepared?

Spend your entire life living in fear. What a disappointing way to waste the gift of life. ENJY!

I drive about 2000 miles a year (not a typo) so I’m not letting this get to me.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I drive about 2000 miles a year (not a typo) so I’m not letting this get to me.

While I'm happy you don't have to drive a lot, I would bet 90%+ of the food you consume is transported by trucks through the US who do rely on diesel. Same with USPS trucks and amazon contractors who are paid for each package they deliver to your home. If you're attached to the power grid, odds are your local power plants use (in part or whole) natural gas or oil or other commodities that are tied to oil prices. So you may not drive a ton, but I can guarantee your food and energy prices will increase...

Natural gas has its own natural gas futures market

It is not tied to oil

edited March 4, 2022 5:33AM

Farmers be happy. I wonder if we, the taxpayers, can get back the $30 billion we gave to the farmers to compensate them for failed trades deals? At least now war has forced China to buy US grains.

Tariffs and subsidies---inflation's best friend. Expect your food stuffs to cost more.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to pick up a buffalo wings dinner at Walmart deli once in a while.... in a year or so time, price went from 4.95... to 5.95... to 7.00 or so... and now over $8.00! For 6 wings and two choices of side... I'm starting to lose my taste for wings....

----- kj

Unfortunately, if we think we have seen high food prices up to this point... I think worse is yet to come. Russia exports a lot of the worlds fertilizer around 13% or so, and are now talking stopping all exports of fertilizer. Fertilizer has been already much more expensive due to natural gas needed to produce... and stocks are low. Going to be an expensive year to produce crops... if supplies can even be found.

Lack of sufficient fertilizer will impact multiple aspects of life as we know it. Not only food... but gasohol also. Need cheap grain to produce gasohol.

----- kj

Welcome to the New World Order.

----- kj

Welcome to easy money if you were paying attention and positioning yourself accordingly. Sleeping like a baby. RGDS!

@blitzdude said:
    Welcome to easy money if you were paying attention and positioning yourself accordingly. Sleeping like a baby. RGDS!

My turn to troll: Whatcha gonna do when that easy money comes due, borrow more?

I guess one can never say never but at this point in my life I cannot foresee ever needing to borrow money again. I'll more than likely be worm food long before anything comes due round here. I have everything I need and well positioned to self-sustain if it ever became necessary. I'm a frugal man and the accounts are Phat. RGDS!

@blitzdude said:
    I guess one can never say never but at this point in my life I cannot foresee ever needing to borrow money again. I'll more than likely be worm food long before anything comes due round here. I have everything I need and well positioned to self-sustain if it ever became necessary. I'm a frugal man and the accounts are Phat. RGDS!

good for you. Things are as they should be.

@JohnnyCache said:

Only needed 4 gallons. You driving a moped ?

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I stopped pumping to take the picture, though I only ended up with about 9 or 10 gallons, as I try not to go past a half tank for many reasons.

@JohnnyCache said:
    No, I stopped pumping to take the picture, though I only ended up with about 9 or 10 gallons, as I try not to go past a half tank for many reasons.

I’m just the opposite, I keep my tank filled. I go through a tank every month and a half and I know by waiting it’s going to be more. I don’t worry about keeping it full normally

edited March 6, 2022 6:33PM

23c spike in gasoline futures tonight. Luckily oil is in backwardation so the collapse will be just as spectacular as the rally.

This discussion has been closed.