Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My latest Coin Week article on a Bad 1901-S Barber quarter

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2022 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I wrote this article with support from friends in the Barber Coin Collectors Society since I am an early copper guy.

Without images of the edge it is hard to confirm if it is a "put together coin" or struck, but we have not seen others, suggesting it is a unique counterfeit.

Ironic there was a similar coin (with the correct reverse type) in the previous RCMR.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/from-the-dark-corner-an-authenticated-counterfeit-1901-s-barber-quarter/

Comments

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great work helping to inform & protect the coin community! :)

  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you! Really appreciate all of the work you do!

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The wear on the reverse does not seem to match that on the obverse. Is that something that is seen on the genuine coins?

    If it isn't would seem to suggest that the piece may be put together from two different coins.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the information... The rim should definitely alert observant collectors. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    Thanks for the information... The rim should definitely alert observant collectors. Cheers, RickO

    Correcto ricko. :D

  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @291fifth said:
    The wear on the reverse does not seem to match that on the obverse. Is that something that is seen on the genuine coins?

    If it isn't would seem to suggest that the piece may be put together from two different coins.

    A similar graded genuine example:

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Aside from the wear,seeing two significantly different "looks" front and back in the OP images.The edge needs to be examined carefully for evidence of tampering with the reeding. Almost impossible for a counterfeiter to get an exact alignment of reeds by simply "sandwiching" two coin halves.

  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The on-line cert for the subject example has been removed.

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice! :)

  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great information and I was not aware of the Type III reverse difference!

    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @giorgio11 said:
    Great information and I was not aware of the Type III reverse difference!

    Everyone of my research efforts results in my learning something new as well @giorgio11 ! My experience is with early copper, so every time I go out of my comfort zone I lean on specialists of the subject series in the process. Have joined a number of coin clubs and learned a lot through the effort!

  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the posting @burfle23
    I am a little wiser today.
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:
    Thanks for the posting @burfle23
    I am a little wiser today.
    Wayne

    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file