Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roll of uncirculated 'red' 1964 Philadelphia (no mint) coins. Should I grade them?

https://imgur.com/gallery/6JtM1Np

I found this roll of coins in a thrift store a while back. It was and is literally my first coin purchase ever.
Now, like every inexperienced, new mintly coin expert I am wondering if out of the 3 billion+ pennies any of them may be the fabled SMS.

They are all red in color, so that is good. And I suspect they have been sitting in this old plastic sleeve for the past 50+ years.

Tagged:

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not SMS coins. Those are pretty rare and most ( if not all) are known where they are.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading costs are not cheap. You need to look at what each coin should grade at, odds are most are not worth it. Look at the price guide and the recent sales prices and determine what grade you need to break even. If you have enough high grade then go for it. If you don't then save the best in a flip or something. A quick peak at the guide shows that MS65RD is loosing money. MS66RD is getting closer to the break even point. MS67RD and you are in the money. What are the chances you have a 67 in your roll?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2022 7:24AM

Here’s some comparison eBay for sale. So figuring $40 at least per coin for grading fees. Welcome and hope this helps

Here’s some ms. (Sorry)

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajlondon ... Welcome aboard.... It is unlikely - super unlikely - that any would be SMS, as pointed out above. Also, unless one is of exceptionally high grade, they are not worth sending to a TPG. If, after close examination and using reference material, you believe you may have a high grade cent, post good pictures here of both sides, and experts will help your decision. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!

Frank

BHNC #203

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

SMS "Special Mint Set" a roll is not a "Set" so highly doubt it, take the advice from above and do the research before spending any money.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a real nice DDR (FS-801) with split serifs on both S letters in STATES.

Go to varietyvista.com and check out the varieties.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not.
    However, once you have experience and an eye that can distinguish run of the mill from very gem coins, it could be worth grading one of them if you have one that can reach MS67. Very unlikely though.
    Definitely check them for the reverse doubled die variety for that year though, and even if you find one of them I don't think the value warrants grading. (I think it is undervalued for as strong as it is)
    http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1964PDDR001.htm
    (as Pete said above)

Collector, occasional seller

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't graded the whole roll unless you want to lose money and there will be no SMS coins in a business strike roll.

You were wise to come here and ask first, you have some great responses from members. :)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

1964 Philadephia cent rolls are extremely common and are worth little more than face value. The coins in them are not worth slabbing unless they are extremely high grade examples which is very unlikely.

All glory is fleeting.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has graded 1,831 1964 RD MS cents. Just 18 have received MS67...what you would need to not lose money in grading and shipping fees.

Consider too that it is likely very many of these 1,831 coins were "hopefuls" submitted by experienced collector and dealers. Folks who knew what they were doing.

Study your cents to see if you can find any that look virtually perfect. Almost no flaws. No spots. Show it to a dealer or experienced collector, if possible. If you feel really good about it then roll the dice. But don't get your hopes up. 99% of red 1964 Lincoln's grade below MS67 and are worth less than the cost of grading.
    Lance.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not. Sage advice and points stated above. The gems ? Maybe. The likelihood ? Maybe not.

HE>I

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awhile back, I sent in a roll of 56 D cents I had bought many years ago from a brick and mortar coin shop. All RD. Had them pre screened. To my eye, most looked MS 66, the guy who screened them agreed, and we agreed on a price for him to buy them if they came back MS 66 or MS 67. We sent in a bulk submission, with a minimum MS 66 the standard for being slabbed. I was hoping to get at least 1 MS 67 RD.

32 of them graded MS 66RD, none MS 67. After grading fees, I made $300. As you got them from a thrift shop, I think they are less likely to grade as high as mine did. Save your money.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    PCGS has graded 1,831 1964 RD MS cents. Just 18 have received MS67...what you would need to not lose money in grading and shipping fees.

>
    That really puts the rubber on the road! Not much chance of finding those beauties in the wild... :/

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file