Home Precious Metals
Options

How to value silver bars marked 8 Troy ounces.Updated in last post with pics.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2022 4:51PM in Precious Metals

A friend of mine has a couple bars that are of an unknown maker that are about the size of a dollar bill and maybe 3/16 inch thick. They are marked as 8 troy ounces .999 silver. Are they worth a little more than a regular 8-ounce bar?

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

No makers mark or unknown mark?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    No makers mark or unknown mark?

I did not see a maker's mark. Seemed like the design was of a 500 $ bill maybe.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 x $22.36 = $178.88. If you try to sell them at the LCS they will probably offer you slightly under spot. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Normally it is the opposite - these novelty bars are sold as 'half a pound' but they are 8 AVP ounces instead of troy ounces. 8 AVP ounces equate to 7.29 troy ounces

• Options

@taxmad said:
    Normally it is the opposite - these novelty bars are sold as 'half a pound' but they are 8 AVP ounces instead of troy ounces. 8 AVP ounces equate to 7.29 troy ounces

These are marked 8 Troy ounces.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

@taxmad said:

These are marked 8 Troy ounces.

I'm assuming no certificate of authenticity or box to find a maker's name.
    Apmex had some listed but out of stock and no retail price.
    Generally speaking those were novelty things and dont bring much more than spot, unless you find a buyer who just has googly eyes for it.

• Options

Thanks for the information. I will probably give him the current spot value multiplied times 8.77 at the time of our trade.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2022 8:45AM

Why 8.77?? If it is 8 Troy Ounces.... it would be spot multiplied by 8. Unless you are adding a 'profit'. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Why 8.77?? If it is 8 Troy Ounces.... it would be spot multiplied by 8. Unless you are adding a 'profit'. Cheers, RickO

I thought 8 Troy ounces equal 8.77 regular ounces. That was the whole purpose of this thread actually.

Trade $'s
  • Options

Spot price is based on troy ounces.

• Options

@taxmad said:
    Spot price is based on troy ounces.

Ok, that is helpful. Thanks

Trade $'s
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options

Here are the bars.

Trade $'s
  • Options

I can't see any reference to troy ounces on the top one - so it would be worth less than the bottom one. On the last pic you can see 8 troy ounces 999 fine silver

• Options
    edited January 25, 2022 6:15PM

@taxmad said:
    I can't see any reference to troy ounces on the top one - so it would be worth less than the bottom one. On the last pic you can see 8 troy ounces 999 fine silver

The top one says one half pound fine silver. It's from the Washington Mint I believe, but I can't find any info on the Confederate States of America one. Each one weighs approx. 250 grams

Trade $'s
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

usually when they are marked "something pounds" they are referring to avoir du pois ounces (regular ones) not troy ounces.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

250 grams equal 8.037687 troy ounces. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2022 9:32AM

The $500 bar is a 1995 Washington Mint 8 toz bar. Bars came with a coa & presentation case.

You can check ebay's completed sales for an idea of what there going for. (deduct 10% for ebay fees, to give you an idea of the fair market value)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    usually when they are marked "something pounds" they are referring to avoir du pois ounces (regular ones) not > @OPA said:
    The $500 bar is a 1995 Washington Mint 8 toz bar. Bars came with a coa & presentation case.

You can check ebay's completed sales for an idea of what there going for. (deduct 10% for ebay fees, to give you an idea of the fair market value)

You are correct, it came in a presentation case marked Washinton mint but without the COA. I'm really at a loss about the CSA one if anyone has any info on it.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    usually when they are marked "something pounds" they are referring to avoir du pois ounces (regular ones) not > @OPA said:

You are correct, it came in a presentation case marked Washinton mint but without the COA. I'm really at a loss about the CSA one if anyone has any info on it.

A similar designed 8 oz $50 CSA bar, sold on ebay for $200 in November, but it did not indicate any useful information, other than the condition of the bar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224707600684?hash=item34519de12c:g:LXQAAOSw3AJhnVok&nma=true&si=mkszbqY1psvQ2Klb3mA7Z2dt9UI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."