First of 2022

And what a first! 👍🏿

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

E C S T A T I C and I’m no particular fan of talers! But these are from Mars! 😋

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    @JohnnyCache great looking 58.

Thanks Brian, I just need one more coin to complete the multi-country Charles III Portrait set.
    I will be happy when it's completed.

Outside of the set above, and perhaps the set of "World coins circulating in early America" only because I am already more that halfway complete, I don't see myself being interested in building any other registry sets, or sets in general.

Going forward I think I'd prefer to try and just focus simply on buying nice, original, eye appealing coins that fall within my budget and enjoy the freedom and diversity that comes with that form of collecting.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Going forward I think I'd prefer to try and just focus simply on buying nice, original, eye appealing coins that fall within my budget and enjoy the freedom and diversity that comes with that form of collecting.

Wise decision. MrEureka won’t agree with me, as he sees tremendous value in certain dates in a complete series, but the freedom of an unfocused collector is priceless, I vouch for that my friend!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 6:52PM

@bidask said:
    Paid a world record price for this one!

Nice coin, but yes, a steep price.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

Yes, I saw the coin in a 64 holder at SB preview. I did not like the obverse field mark at 10 o'clock. Otherwise a fab coin. Like Syracusian and JohnnyCache I am enjoying the freedom of a unfocused collector. RSP

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSP said:
    Yes, I saw the coin in a 64 holder at SB preview. I did not like the obverse field mark at 10 o'clock. Otherwise a fab coin. Like Syracusian and JohnnyCache I am enjoying the freedom of a unfocused collector. RSP

It’s a PCGS 65 pop 1 and auctioned at Heritage

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

And has been upgraded recently; clearly it is now a PCGS 65 and pop one and may well remain so as coins from that era are very scarce in gem. Did you preview?
    RSP

• Options

@RSP said:
    And has been upgraded recently; clearly it is now a PCGS 65 and pop one and may well remain so as coins from that era are very scarce in gem. Did you preview?
    RSP

Yes held it in hand

• Options

Well done! Why does Heritage list the coin in its MOTO program? I can't imagine why. I've noticed from time to time they do that. I assume you are a collector not a dealer, no?

• Options

@RSP said:
    Well done! Why does Heritage list the coin in its MOTO program? I can't imagine why. I've noticed from time to time they do that. I assume you are a collector not a dealer, no?

What’s a MOTO program ?

Yes a collector

• Options

Make offer to owner. Just let Heritage know that you will advise them when you wish to participate. Sometimes when I view prices realized and see MOTO I wonder if the coin really sold. Congratulations on your purchase. I doubt you will ever upgrade it. Steve

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 5:52AM

@bidask said:

@RSP said:
    RSP

Yes held it in hand

Did you as well hold in hand ?

I really think these are two different coins as both are listed under the PCGS pops.....maybe I am wrong on closer inspection.

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/peru/1826-l-jm-8-r/2586?sn=551972&h=pop

• Options

It does appear to be the same coin. Regardless, really nice piece with just a little weakness in the face.

• Options

Good morning.... Yes, in hand only once last August. I must confess that I did not go to NY on account of covid and all the problems with the airlines etc. I just assumed it was the same coin......maybe I am wrong. You know what assuming does no doubt. At any rate I am just glad to know the coin went to an appreciative collector. I will also confess that I took a big chance by buying the colorful Puerto Rican peso sight unseen for the same price you paid. I hope I like it. I know I will have to get used to all the marks on the obverse portrait. Covid will make you do strange things!

• Options

Welcome to the forum @RSP

• Options

Thank you, Boosibri.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 7:10PM

Started 2022 with this pick up. Will not buy another till the end of summer and also hopefully make at least 1 major purchase to add to my 1732-1771 collection of Mexican 8 Reales.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this one today (gold, mintage 5000). Now I have almost all the version for this coin, just two missing, the gold and platinum piedforts, both with ridiculous low mintage and high prices.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@bidask said:
    I dropped out at $4500 . Hammered at $5000

Any regrets?

Yes I did ....I think I should have stayed in and bought it

So what did you buy in the auction? Any Pat Johnson coins?

I’m eyeing a few Pat Johnson coins at the upcoming stacks sale. Do you know much about him? Former dealer? I’ve had trouble finding much about the guy.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@bidask said:
    I dropped out at $4500 . Hammered at $5000

Any regrets?

Yes I did ....I think I should have stayed in and bought it

So what did you buy in the auction? Any Pat Johnson coins?

I’m eyeing a few Pat Johnson coins at the upcoming stacks sale. Do you know much about him? Former dealer? I’ve had trouble finding much about the guy.

Pat Johnson was a very successful dealer and avid collector. He's no longer with us, but his family business, Houston Numismatic Exchange, is still going strong.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Andy, I appreciate the info.