Home Sports Talk
Options

My boxing collection

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2022 1:46PM in Sports Talk

I've been wanting to do this for a while, the lady seems to think I purchase a lot of boxing cards and photos from ebay, so I'm going to start keeping track of my purchases as they happen on this thread. Dear ebay diary, today I purchased....

Comments

• Options

"Who's that rapping at my chamber door, only the mailman and nothing more."

• Options

1979 Quelcom Floyd Patterson, rare version with Portuguese back.

• Options

Beau Jack photo.

• Options

2010 Ringside Boxing Lennox Lewis, rare promo.

• Options

Carlos Ortiz photo, this is the photo that was used as the image in his Ringside Boxing Turkey Red card, awesome find!

• Options

Roberto Duran Lonsdale photo premium, very difficult to find these.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double D, you got any 1951 Topps Ringside cards? The artwork on those are gorgeous

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Double D, you got any 1951 Topps Ringside cards? The artwork on those are gorgeous

Not yet, I love those cards and they are beautiful, I will be buying some in the future for sure. Some of them have puzzle backs and the ines with the puzzle backs are very hard to find, I've been looking for a particular one with a puzzle back but it hasn't turned up yet. I'll find it eventually, I won't give up until I do, I'm very persistent with my hunting!

• Options

2007 Sportkings Patch Larry Holmes National Chicago 1/1. I will say one thing about Larry Holmes in his absolute prime, he maybe the toughest boxer I've ever seen. Mike Tyson is lucky that he fought a washed up version of Larry Holmes, because if Tyson would have fought the Larry Holmes of the Earnie Shavers fight, it would have been another story. Earnie Shavers is considered to be the hardest puncher in boxing history, the shot he hit Larry Holmes with would have killed some people, yet Holmes somehow rose to his feet and managed to strategically pick Shavers apart. How Holmes was able to get up from that punch, I'll never know. Prime Larry Holmes was an animal.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that you mentioned in the "degenerate gambler" thread about going after a $500 boxing card. Is that Holmes 1/1 the one that you were referring to?

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I believe that you mentioned in the "degenerate gambler" thread about going after a $500 boxing card. Is that Holmes 1/1 the one that you were referring to?

No, I actually got the Holmes this morning for pretty cheap, the $500.00 card is still being negotiated, the seller is stubborn!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@countdouglas said:

No, I actually got the Holmes this morning for pretty cheap, the $500.00 card is still being negotiated, the seller is stubborn!

Well, I look forward to seeing that one, if you are able to pry it away from them. (And, indeed, what is it with these "draft saved" notices constantly flying in and out of my field of vision on this screen?!?!)

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@doubledragon said:

@countdouglas said:

Well, I look forward to seeing that one, if you are able to pry it away from them. (And, indeed, what is it with these "draft saved" notices constantly flying in and out of my field of vision on this screen?!?!)

I will definately post it if it works out, and I don't know what's up with the draft saved thing, but it's very annoying!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

this looks like a fun thread. i love to see what other collectors are getting!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a collector item, but certainly quite a story. From my home town of Lowell, Massachusetts, Micky Ward was a BIG, BIG deal back in the day. The movie "The Fighter", played by Mark Wahlberg is worth finding to watch and enjoy.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 6:55AM

@craig44 said:
    this looks like a fun thread. i love to see what other collectors are getting!

Yes and I plan on adding a lot to it in the coming months, as I continue to add to my collection, it should be a lot of fun!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Not a collector item, but certainly quite a story. From my home town of Lowell, Massachusetts, Micky Ward was a BIG, BIG deal back in the day. The movie "The Fighter", played by Mark Wahlberg is worth finding to watch and enjoy.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan on watching it. Micky Ward is one of my favorite fighters, he was a wicked body puncher and his wars with Arturo Gatti are some of the best fights in boxing history.

• Options

Micky Ward is one of my favorite fighters, he was a wicked body puncher and his wars with Arturo Gatti are some of the best fights in boxing history.

DD,
    Your use of "wicked" makes you just about an Honorary New Englander. Somewhere, somehow, somebody coined the term wicked with many comments and phrases in New England. He was wicked bad, its wicked cold, that was so wicked nice, etc, etc, it goes on and on. The word "wicked", when used to describe something simply meant that nothing was worse or better than the object of the comment.

Kinda fits in with "pahk the cah", or Bahsten Red Sox. You should visit sometime and enjoy the twang of New Englanders!!
    DO NOT MISS FENWAY PARK, NO MATTER THE TICKET COST. If it s a day game sit somewhere along the left field line, otherwise the sun will fry you. Monster tickets would indeed be wicked cool!!

Do see the movie. You will see Lowell in all its sad glory of being a bit run down, and enjoy many classic New England conversations. Blue collar place.

I recently visited a High School buddy who told me one scene in the movie was filmed at a house next door to him at night. They lit the neighborhood up like it was daylight, and he was asked if they could plug something into an outlet at his home, which of course he agreed to and got paid $500 for about 3 hours of electricity.

Micky Ward, one of a kind.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

Micky Ward is one of my favorite fighters, he was a wicked body puncher and his wars with Arturo Gatti are some of the best fights in boxing history.

DD,
    Your use of "wicked" makes you just about an Honorary New Englander. Somewhere, somehow, somebody coined the term wicked with many comments and phrases in New England. He was wicked bad, its wicked cold, that was so wicked nice, etc, etc, it goes on and on. The word "wicked", when used to describe something simply meant that nothing was worse or better than the object of the comment.

Kinda fits in with "pahk the cah", or Bahsten Red Sox. You should visit sometime and enjoy the twang of New Englanders!!
    DO NOT MISS FENWAY PARK, NO MATTER THE TICKET COST. If it s a day game sit somewhere along the left field line, otherwise the sun will fry you. Monster tickets would indeed be wicked cool!!

Do see the movie. You will see Lowell in all its sad glory of being a bit run down, and enjoy many classic New England conversations. Blue collar place.

I recently visited a High School buddy who told me one scene in the movie was filmed at a house next door to him at night. They lit the neighborhood up like it was daylight, and he was asked if they could plug something into an outlet at his home, which of course he agreed to and got paid $500 for about 3 hours of electricity.

Awesome story, I have actually heard about the famous "bahstan" and "pahk the cah" because one of my uncles graduated from MIT back in the 90s and he used to tell us about that. I'll have to get up there someday, it sounds like a great place to visit!

• Options

Perkdog will buy you all the lobstahs you can eat, AND, all the booze at Cheers is included!!! Such a deal.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Perkdog will buy you all the lobstahs you can eat, AND, all the booze at Cheers is included!!! Such a deal.

Sounds good to me! 🖒🖒😂😂

• Options

Today I purchased this awesome 2021 President's Choice Solitaire Enshrined Papercuts 1/1 Auto Harold Johnson. He was a light heavyweight in the 1940s and 50s, a phenomenal ring technichian.

• Options

Dear ebay diary, today I purchased this 1980s promo photo of The Easton Assassin.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

DD,

Awesome story, I have actually heard about the famous "bahstan" and "pahk the cah" because one of my uncles graduated from MIT back in the 90s and he used to tell us about that. I'll have to get up there someday, it sounds like a great place to visit!

Actually, to correctly speak Massachusetts, @doubledragon would have have to describe Micky Ward as a "wicked good body puncher" .

• Options

I actually bought this today from a friend of mine that sells boxing stuff, it is a 1963 photo of the greatest pound for pound boxer in history, Sugar Ray Robinson. I love the image because he has some wires behind him and it makes it look like he's a puppet on strings. If you want to see Sugar Ray Robinson at his best, just watch his sixth fight with Jake LaMotta, it was called the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. In that fight, Sugar Ray Robinson was the devil himself, just a force of nature, I don't believe any middleweight in history could have beaten him that night.

• Options

Today I picked up this book and this original 1963 photo of Howard Winstone. He was nicknamed "The Welsh Wizard" for his brilliance in the ring. His savage wars with Vicente Saldivar are some of the best fights in the history of boxing. Howard Winstone actually lost a couple of fingers but continued to box and he was a tough as nails fighter.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2022 3:48AM

2011 Spot The Winner Vicente Saldivar. This guy was an absolute beast, as I mentioned above, his fights with Howard Winstone were some of the most brutal in boxing history. This guy is one of the all time greats. As a fighter, Saldivar always seemed to get stronger and more vicious as a fight wore on and was damn near unbeatable in his prime.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double D did you ever box? Or just love the sport?

I got fond memories from my early 20’s of drunken boxing matches in the kitchen at a buddy’s apartment, we would chair off the kitchen and have some epic bouts!

One drunken boxing match back in 1991 we had took place in a buddy’s basement and it turned into a real fight, gloves came off and it got ugly. My right hand got hit with a glass by the guys friend I was stomping and I got over 20 stitches over it.

Obligatory pick of my hand..

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Double D did you ever box? Or just love the sport?

I got fond memories from my early 20’s of drunken boxing matches in the kitchen at a buddy’s apartment, we would chair off the kitchen and have some epic bouts!

One drunken boxing match back in 1991 we had took place in a buddy’s basement and it turned into a real fight, gloves came off and it got ugly. My right hand got hit with a glass by the guys friend I was stomping and I got over 20 stitches over it.

Obligatory pick of my hand..

I've always loved boxing, but I really started getting into the sport and collecting after watching Hagler vs Hearns, the war. Back in my younger days, one of my buddies had a nice pair of boxing gloves and we would do the same thing, we would be drinking and we would go out in his backyard and start boxing. It would always turn serious after a few rounds and someone would end up having to break up a fight. Those were fun times! 😂😂

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I've always loved boxing, but I really started getting into the sport and collecting after watching Hagler vs Hearns, the war.

I know I've said before, but Hagler is my favorite. I am not as big a fan as you are, but I love going back and watching fights, especially Hagler's.

The War Round One
    https://youtu.be/HL2a2-8OHdg

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I've always loved boxing, but I really started getting into the sport and collecting after watching Hagler vs Hearns, the war.

I know I've said before, but Hagler is my favorite. I am not as big a fan as you are, but I love going back and watching fights, especially Hagler's.

The War Round One
    https://youtu.be/HL2a2-8OHdg

Boxing these days can be hard to watch, all of the best boxing is in the past, I do watch some boxing these days if it's a good fight, but for the most part I study boxer from the past and watch old fights on YouTube from the best eras of the sport, I love the Hagler vs Hearns 1st round, great stuff!

• Options

Here is the whole thing , if anyone wants to watch or re-watch

https://youtu.be/9GYGThR8dKs

• Options
    edited February 17, 2022 2:00PM

I picked up these two items recently, the first one is a really rare 1955 All-American Sports Club Bob Satterfield, and the secind one is a really rare press photo of Bob Satterfield. In case you haven't heard of Bob Satterfield, his nickname was "Bombadier" for a reason, he was one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, he was always a threat in every fight because he could turn your lights out if he caught you flush with his right hand. As a matter of fact, the tough as nails Jake Lamotta once said, "out of all the people I fought, Bob Satterfield was the only one that really hurt me."

• Options

I just picked up this 1935 original photo of Max Baer, he was one the hardest punchers in boxing history, was tough as nails, and had a chin made of granite. The great Joe Louis once said Max Baer was his toughest opponent and hitting Max Baer was like trying to drive bricks in a wall.

• Options

I also just picked up this 1940s exhibit card of Ike Williams, he was the hardest punching lightweight in boxing history and had a mean streak in him, Ike Williams was one bad dude.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2022 3:06PM

I just picked this up from ebay, it's a 2015 Ring Kings Gennady Golovkin rookie card numbered to 30 copies, this being 17/30. He is one of my all time favorite boxers, one of the greatest middleweights in boxing history, the only man to ever defeat him was Canelo Alvarez, and that was a fight a lot of people thought Golovkin actually won. He has never been knocked down and he is nicknamed "Triple G" or "GGG" and he is a bonafide bad a..

• Options

Check out this bad boy, 2019 Leaf National Superfractor proof 1/1 Errol Spence Jr. I picked this up a few days ago.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2022 2:42AM

This is one of the cards I've been after for a while, I finally got it last night, 2019 Leaf Best of Sports prismatic proof 1/1 Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Options

Ah yes, the rare Dear eBay diary thread update spotting in the wild. 😂

• Options

I just picked up a true boxing treasure, the type 1 original photo of Battling Nelson. The image on this photo was used to produce his 1910 Red Sun card, his 1900s Strip Card, and his Joe Palooka candy card. If you've never heard of Battling Nelson, then you don't know boxing. He was nicknamed the "Durable Dane" for a reason, a fighter that had a chin made of pure granite, he fought some of the most brutal fights in boxing history, he often went 30-40 rounds with his opponents, tithering on the brink of insanity and death, he fought all out wars in the ring, he was an apocalyptic nightmare opponent that would have destroyed fighters in today's era. Below is a write up of what would have happened if Floyd Mayweather Jr were to step in the ring with Nelson in Nelson's era. The first two images are the photo I purchased and the bottom three images are the cards that the photo was used to produce.

Battling Nelson vs Floyd Mayweather at 135, 45 rounds, 1900s ruleset. 4oz untabbed gloves, no rehydration, Floyd doesn't get to bitch over minor details, 16ft ring with no post coverings is a wet dream of a fight for me.

To see Floyd, who would be winning up until around round 20, slowly dawn upon him what a nightmare of a fighter he's in with. Then you see the fear, the worry, the anxiety begin. Floyd realizes he's tired.

And Nelson isn't stopping.

Floyd's eyes are thumbed, his head is shaken, it's blazing hot out, he's taken a few headbutts in the clinch, the ref isn't listening to his complaints. His back is scratched up from being slammed on the uncovered metal ringpost.

And Nelson. Keeps. Coming.

Nelson KO in 32. Something sits right with me about a raised to win, protected, and always in control of every minor detail of the fight, Floyd Mayweather being broken mentally and physically by a man born with little talent but a hellish mindset and stamina. Not to mention that shiny record would be gone.

• Options

I've been a busy boy, I've got a few purchases to add to my diary. These are two different 2021 Leaf Art of Sport cards of James "Bonecrusher" Smith. The one on top is the holy grail gold 1/1 version, and the one on the bottom is a silver 1/2 version. If you're not familiar with him, he was a part-time prison guard turned boxer and a dangerous puncher, hence the nickname "Bonecrusher."

• Options

Type 1 original photo of Evander Holyfield.

• Options

This is a 1948 Leaf boxing blank back card of Al Hostak, he was nicknamed "The Savage Slav", and was one of the hardest punchers in boxing history. The blank backs are hard to find for the 1948 Leaf set.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2022 6:30PM

This is a type 1 original photo of Nigel Benn, he was nicknamed "The Dark Destroyer", one of my favorite fighters of all time. He was a hard punching ferocious fighter who was rarely in a dull fight and he was most dangerous when he was taking punishment.

• Options

This is a 1920s exhibit card of Rocky Kansas, he was a tough as nails italian fighter who was like a sawed off version of Rocky Marciano.

• Options

Type 1 original photo of Wilfredo Benitez, nicknamed "The Radar" for his defensive genius, he was a master boxer with a beautiful quick snapping jab.

• Options

I love this photo of Ezzard Charles, one of the all time greats, nicknamed "The Cincinnati Cobra", he is pictured here looking into a crystal ball before his fight with Rocky Marciano. In the crystal ball, he envisions himself knocking out Marciano.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2022 6:28PM

This is a 2014 Goodwin Champions Stanley Ketchel Mini Red Magician back numbered to 14 copies. He was nicknamed "The Michigan Assassin" and was one of the hardest punchers in boxing history. To show you how hard he punched, he was a natural middleweight and once floored heavyweight Jack Johnson.

• Options

Type 1 original photo of Carlos Zarate, definitely one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, he had 2 different streaks of 30 knockouts in a row.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

good stuff double d

did you ever see the Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan fight?