peacockcoins

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a real fake. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    China!
    (I've got a couple of those too...)

Besides they're being about 0% chance of having a real one in that condition, are there diagnostics to show this is a fake? Does it look like a cast copy?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chinese counterfeit.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@braddick said:
    China!

Besides there being about 0% chance of having a real one in that condition, are there diagnostics to show this is a fake? Does it look like a cast copy?

Yes!
    The obverse of those Chinese counterfeits all seem to share a single attribute: The obverse has a somewhat PL look to it while the reverse is muted.
    I suppose it had something to do with the counterfeit die used to strike these.
    In hand, too, the hair detail is dull-looking, and the copper is too bright (too new vs. a coin in mint state condition struck 70 years ago).

peacockcoins

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a poor quality counterfeit. The mushy details and granular surfaces are dead giveaways.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides being a real fake, it’s really fake. Not even close

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

"That and 50 cents will buy you a cup of coffee..." Actually I'm embarrassed to say I paid over $3 for a medium cup this morning and I didn't want to be rude when the price came up so maybe the 50 cents needs to be updated with inflation.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    "That and 50 cents will buy you a cup of coffee..." Actually I'm embarrassed to say I paid over $3 for a medium cup this morning and I didn't want to be rude when the price came up so maybe the 50 cents needs to be updated with inflation.

Good point. That and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. 👍

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

I usually go with "That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee."

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

Dang it. I’m old. “ That and a dime will buy you a coffee ( coke , in a bottle 😉)

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 8:12PM

Sorry. Wants to re-post

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@braddick said:
    China!

Besides they're being about 0% chance of having a real one in that condition, are there diagnostics to show this is a fake? Does it look like a cast copy?

Just to clarify, it is a struck copy.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

Go to CoinFacts and pull up a 1944.

Put the pictures side by side

The diagnostics are everything - bust, lettering, relief of 1943 compared to other lettering.

It’s bad art used on the die from the get go.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply look at "E PLURIBUS UNUM"

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just don't try selling it - put it in a 2x2 and label it "Counterfeit" as an example coin

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real bogus

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a fake 'coin'.... Good information above.... and compare it to pictures on some of the referenced sites. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    Simply look at "E PLURIBUS UNUM"

Yeah, looks like casting debris on some of those letters. What a poor counterfeit ...

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

Well we know who goes to Starbucks LOL

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

BA-BA-BA BAD.
    If it is an eBay item, report it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

Well we know who goes to Starbucks LOL

EXACTLY! I either make it at home (Nespresso) or, if I go out, I ain't buying McDonald's coffee!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file