Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stolen 1927 $20 Saint Gaudens

13»

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a video tape of you putting the item in the package, sealing the package, driving the package to the post office, and finally post office accepting the package for delivery to your recipient might be a good way to go to get insurance to pay in case the package is broken into with contents removed while in post office custody.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's progress! Thanks for the update.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2022 5:38PM

I'm sorry to hear of another painful crime under the auspices of our much trusted usps. I would pursue full reimbursement no matter what their stated policy is on what they cover. If you pay full insurance they should accept accountability and pay it out. How can they deny coverage on easily quantified things like gold and silver and approve it on jewelry and all the other things they pay for?? I'd pursue it up the food chain; the local postal inspectors, the usual claim office; if denied pursue it in their DC office. Contact your Congressman with all your evidence talking about how this is damaging the hobby severely.

I've lost priorities to thefts, but never an express. Other ruses if shipped to a high risk area, sprinkle the package with some type of nasty or perfume like scent; wrap what you are shipping inside with multiple layers of tyvek and other packaging.

As someone else said if you want to bait the thieves, that could be useful. Was thinking of shipping priority envelopes with lead slugs inside, well wrapped to a friend, with red and dayglo inks on the outside heralding the gold, platinum and palladium supposedly inside to see if it would arrive safe and sound. But that could also covert wannabe thieves into actual ones.

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bp777 said:
    Update:

I got an official response from the USPS that the package was indeed cut open and taped back up some time before reaching its intended destination. I was told to report the incident as a crime to the postal inspector and that i will get my insurance money. A case with the postal inspector was created and i am now waiting to be contacted by them.

@bp777 said:
    Update:

I got an official response from the USPS that the package was indeed cut open and taped back up some time before reaching its intended destination. I was told to report the incident as a crime to the postal inspector and that i will get my insurance money. A case with the postal inspector was created and i am now waiting to be contacted by them.

Glad to hear they are are willing to pay for the loss. I will be very interested to know what they make you provide for "proof of value".

liefgold
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@bp777 said:
    Update:

The way local Postal deliveries in DC are going, I expect to experience something similar. I have always considered to myself that if I discovered a tampered container, I would immediately contact the postal inspectors and report it as a crime (tampering), if they decided to respond, I would allow them to open it. If contents are missing then I would add the theft report. At any rate, I would never expect to prevail.

(l8-)>>

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

They always say that when you send it registered mail that’s because they need to lock it up every time it moves and will only be opened up when it’s getting delivered and the supervisor is the only one with the key. And it needs to be brown taped on all openings and seems just like when you get them darn PCGS box’s I can never find the opening with just one cut.

Hoard the keys.
  • Sympathy for your loss and WOW, just WOW... I made two very expensive coins shipping using Priority Insured in October, one to the WEST and one to the SOUTH. Fortunately, they both arrived. Next time, Registered Mail is the way to go.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best to use insurance from usps. At least you can recover the money value if lost. Still it stinks that you were robbed

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    Best to use insurance from usps. At least you can recover the money value if lost. Still it stinks that you were robbed

Unfortunately, it’s not an especially rare occasion in which the sender who has purchased insurance, must go through an appeal process in order to be paid on his/her claim. On some occasions, the insured never ends up being paid. And this was a theft, not a robbery.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@markelman1125 said:

Unfortunately, it’s not an especially rare occasion in which the sender who has purchased insurance, must go through an appeal process in order to be paid on his/her claim. On some occasions, the insured never ends up being paid. And this was a theft, not a robbery.

Yea that doesn’t sound too fun. Is it recommended nowadays to ship fedex of ups when it comes to coins ? I want to sell one of my coins but I am not sure if I can trust USPS

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 2:02PM

@MFeld said:

@markelman1125 said:

@MFeld said:

@markelman1125 said:

Yea that doesn’t sound too fun. Is it recommended nowadays to ship fedex of ups when it comes to coins ? I want to sell one of my coins but I am not sure if I can trust USPS

From everything I've heard, the strong consensus is that registered-insured mail is the safest method for shipping.

I only ship- registered insured mail.

I've received some annoyed E-mails from annoyed buyers wondering why they hadn't received the coin 1 1/2 weeks after shipping. Shipping is slow.

I must have shipped 100-150 double eagles over the past few years without incident. Now I probably gave my shipping record a Kinehora.

If I didn't receive payment, on a missing parcel, after all the insurance money I've sunk in, my E-Bay shipping days/ PO shipping would be done.

Urban legend ? From SD bullion, I believe?

Why is USPS Registered Mail so much safer for shipping gold compared to private carriers?
    Think about the this fact.

If a USPS employees are caught stealing Registered Mail parcels they likely end up in a Federal Prison.

Theiving USPS agents that get caught also forfeit their coveted (and of course, likely underfunded) government pension plan.

As well USPS Registered Mail has an additional layer of security proved by the US Postal Inspection Service.

US Postal Inspectors are literally investigative agents. A US Postal Inspector is a sworn federal law enforcement officer who can carry firearms, make arrests, and serve federal search warrants and subpoenas. When US Postal Inspectors show up at the scene of a potential mail crime, virtually any and all disappearing parcels often ‘magically’ show up.

The USPIS essentially ensures that USPS Registered Mail will likely remain the safest any one can do it option, for individuals shipping bullion fully insured through the USA’s domestic mail system.

One thing to note about shipping gold with USPS Registered Mail though is that it is a slow moving process compared to other privately backstopped gold mailing solutions we can provide here at SD Bullion. If your parcel must get there quick, perhaps give us a call to see what private gold shipment options we can provide you.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭

My USPS Registered Mail experience resulted in no loss of a coin/medal.

What I do:

Inside seams of the box are held together with filament tape. Medal/coin is secured in a self-sealing bubble wrap envelope with shipping information inside. Self-sealing bubble wrap envelope is secured with filament tape inside the box. Add bubble wrap or paper to fill the box empty space.

Entire box is entombed with Reinforced Water Activated Tape (RWAT). Ensure RWAT is placed accordingly to form random uneven seams and random RWAT overlaps. Ensure USPS randomly postmarks the uneven seams and overlaps (used to detect package tampering). I like it when a single postmark is seen on all box edges. Send with appropriate amount of insurance.

DoD contractors may send some classified information via USPS Registered Mail (see the bullets why it's secure in the image below).

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also important:

• Value over $850 is cheaper to send registered (automatically insured for claimed value) than any other form of insured mail.
    • USPS will only pay $15 on an insurance claim if the claim is for bullion and it was not sent registered. Their definition of bullion has not been published.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Also important:

• Value over $850 is cheaper to send registered (automatically insured for claimed value) than any other form of insured mail.
    • USPS will only pay $15 on an insurance claim if the claim is for bullion and it was not sent registered. Their definition of bullion has not been published.

Thanks for the value threshold of $850. I think most sellers just assume registered mail shipping is always more expensive than regular insured mail since it is more secure.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

On private insurance options such as Hugh Wood, the onerous shipping requirements of Ship and Insure, and some others are not mandated. Prudence of course must be exercised. Several hundred dollars a year, and your shipments are covered. Usps has some of the highest insurance rates out there and then they say that they won't cover the package when an internal thief gets the loot? Unbelievable. And since this victim is getting his insurance honored, the false information given that he was out of luck is dead wrong.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:
    Also important:

Thanks for the value threshold of $850. I think most sellers just assume registered mail shipping is always more expensive than regular insured mail since it is more secure.

it changes every time postal rates change. Best to do an initial comparison of the two, registered vs. insured priority.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:
    Also important:

it changes every time postal rates change. Best to do an initial comparison of the two, registered vs. insured priority.

Unless there's a big difference in cost, paying a little extra for registered is worth the peace of mind IMHO.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your peace of mind may cause some sleepless nights. My last registered package took 59 days. But it did get there.

liefgold
  • KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    For a coin like that I would have sent it Registered Mail fully insured. It would have been cheaper and more secure.

Exactly correct. Slower delivery, but costs less if there is significant insurance involved, and much, much more secure.

A bit of history: When New York jeweler Harry Winston donated the famous Hope Diamond – all 45.52 carats of it – to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., he chose a familiar, trusted carrier to transport the jewel: the Post Office Department. “It’s the safest way to mail gems,” Winston told The Evening Star (Washington, D.C.). “I’ve sent gems all over the world that way.”
    On November 8, 1958, he sent the precious stone via registered, First-Class Mail, from New York City to the Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. The postage cost him $2.44, plus $142.85 for $1 million worth of insurance.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file