Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stolen 1927 $20 Saint Gaudens

bp777bp777 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be on the lookout for this coin. This coin was cut out of a USPS small priority box while in transit from CA to FL.

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry to hear that you were hit as well. I had 9 coins cut out of a UPS box last week. Good luck. Let's hope we both get lucky.

• Options

Wow. That’s ridiculous.

• Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭

jherkhoffs

toner loner
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC 3726806-011
    1927 $20
    NGC MS 63

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

google indexes this site

put your cert info using TEXT instead of an image

if it is ever found, come back to this thread and say so

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Will do

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

I do hope they recover it.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping for the best and the coins get recovered!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Horrible. Hope it gets recovered. Out of curiosity, did the seller put on the box that there was a coin inside?

• Options

No. I’m the seller. The dirtbags at the US Post Office saw how much I paid for insurance and jacked the coin.

• Options

did the PO Body Bag the box with an apology note, or did it just arrive taped back up?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 4:01PM

Cut and pasted from the internet:

USPS DOES NOT INSURE COINS.

• Options

Well that sucks

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was the recipient of this empty box. I found it my mail box like it's pictured in the first post, The cut looks like it was made with a sharp knife or box cutter. After the coin was removed, the thief who had to be a postal employee taped up the box with clear packing tape. Some of the tape wrapped around to the front corner of the box. The postal supervisor said that when they scan the tracking number, a picture is automatically taken of the front of the box. The picture from their scan when it first arrived at my post office showed this extra tape from resealing the cut so the postal supervisor concluded that it must have happened before it arrived at the post office. The $40.50 postage/insurance sticker on such a small box (see the above pic) may have tipped off the thief that something valuable was inside. This is a good example of why it's important to fully insure your packages and get tracking and signature confirmation. This package had a "signature required" label and I never signed for it. The postal supervisor told me they are now requiring the recipient to sign for their packages so whoever delivered it is going to get a lecture from this supervisor. Stay tuned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub122/pub122_v07_revision_092016_013.htm

Line H.

Numismatic items - proof of value before mailing

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a coin like that I would have sent it Registered Mail fully insured. It would have been cheaper and more secure.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

for anyone putting shipping labels with that much cost showing is just asking for trouble. like a big neon sign saying, empty contents, pass go, collect $20000 dollars!

find a way to ship that DOESN"T show any unnecessary information. anything to do with coins on the label, may as well go sit the coin raw on your dashboard and save yourself the trouble. obviously not one's fault someone else steals but this earth and with its history, it really behooves one to be pragmatic.

i'm pretty sure private insurance eliminates this aspect as well as SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the cost per-package if you ship a fair amount in volume and/or value over the year.

after what i saw last year in at least dozens of videos, the respect of people's property and persons is NOT at an all-time high and that was in public view. in the privacy of shipping trucks, back rooms, etc etc, fuhgetaboutit.

i made a post years ago when some dealers reported HIGH dollar thefts, possibly from their booths at shows and when asked, "did anyone think to take a couple grand split up amongst the many millionaires as the show", all i got was crickets. smh

HOPE it helps.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The postal supervisor said that when they scan the tracking number, a picture is automatically taken of the front of the box.

tyvm for that snippet and the rest of the post!

that is some SERIOUS image infrastructure.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I agree. i was in a rush and wanted to get it out asap. ive been buying, selling, and flipping gold and silver for over 10 years. Ive shipped all over the world. This is the first time i hv ever had a problem. I usually just roll the dice and ship flat rate. But this time I didnt and look what happened

• Options

Luckily it wasn’t anything important. Its nice. But nothing very important. The pics of the box dont look good. I went down to the po and showed them. They know its wrong

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have anything constructive to add, just that THIS STINKS!

• Options

Would it help to mark the package "FRAGILE! COMPUTER PARTS" or something similar?

• Options

Electronics can be pawned too

Shipping metal? Label it as something metal - Custom Steel Brackets

• Options

Can you ask the post office to not show how much you paid for shipping and insurance on the package? A high dollar amount makes the package a target for a postal thief.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the PO stole from me was a few half a few years ago. There are definitely thieves working there.

Vplite99
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ughh so sorry to hear about this…for both Perry and bp.
    Hoping for a positive outcome for both of you guys.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s kinda odd the delivery person didn’t hang around for a signature. Plus, if the thief was at Perry’s PO he could have cut and taped the box before taking the scan/picture.

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bp777 said:
    The box was cut and taped back up. It’s not that big of a deal. It was insured, so I’ll eventually get my money back. But this just makes the PO look bad.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you get your money back. If it was insured by the post office I hope you have good receipts and proof of value. They lost my package for 59 days and denied my claim because I did not have "proof of value". Even though I had a paid invoice, a statement from a Heritage VP on $ value, and a canceled check.
    My story did end well when they finally delivered it, but I have no confidence in the PO and will not insure with them again.

liefgold
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bp777 said:
    No. I’m the seller. The dirtbags at the US Post Office saw how much I paid for insurance and jacked the coin.

I don’t buy insurance for this reason. My insurance is a small priority box in a priority padded envelope and lots of tape. One time I accidentally let my tape hit the padded envelope where I didn’t want it and was absolutely impossible to pull it off. I just stuck it down in the weird position it landed and kept going. Sometimes I think it might be better to buy a minimal amount of insurance to give scum suckers like the guy that cut into that box the idea the contents isn’t worth my job and jail.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Fingerprints on the tape?

Postal workers wear gloves while sorting and handling packages in the event there is a hazardous substance on the package.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

File it with Doug Davis. He keeps an on going list of thefts.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 9:12PM

mailing the priority box inside a sealed priority bubble envelope might offer more security and it only costs a few more pennies. Marking the packages "Fragile - Glass" may also help.

Print your own labels where you can choose not to show cost of postage on the label.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting. I hope there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those who steal coins.

I assume you have informed NCIC?

• Options

Ncic, yes

• Options
    SonnyDSonnyD Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

It's like "tracked and insured" is a another way of saying "free merch" . Time to go postal on these workers!

Ounce by ounce the stack grows .

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    It’s kinda odd the delivery person didn’t hang around for a signature. Plus, if the thief was at Perry’s PO he could have cut and taped the box before taking the scan/picture.

I am going to call BS on photos being taken at the PO upon it receiving the package. That has never happened at the post offices I use. What do they do with this photo? I would ask to see the photo, if such a thing exists.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:

@philographer said:
    Fingerprints on the tape?

Postal workers wear gloves while sorting and handling packages in the event there is a hazardous substance on the package.

While that might happen at A post office, when I mail anything, the person behind the counter doesn’t have gloves, nor do the postal employees at the PO have them when I pick up. Our mail carrier doesn’t have gloves. Perhaps that an indication of the risky PO you have!

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    https://about.usps.com/publications/pub122/pub122_v07_revision_092016_013.htm

Line H.

Numismatic items - proof of value before mailing

This.

For a USPS claim, you will have to prove "fair market value" before the mailing date.

Additionally, you will have to convince them that the coin has "numismatic value". If they consider it to be "bullion", the maximum indemnity on non-registered mail is $15.00.

Reference: USPS DMM 609, Section 4.1.m

• Options

@Herb_T said:

@PerryHall said:
    I was the recipient of this empty box. I found it my mail box like it's pictured in the first post, The cut looks like it was made with a sharp knife or box cutter. After the coin was removed, the thief who had to be a postal employee taped up the box with clear packing tape. Some of the tape wrapped around to the front corner of the box. The postal supervisor said that when they scan the tracking number, a picture is automatically taken of the front of the box. The picture from their scan when it first arrived at my post office showed this extra tape from resealing the cut so the postal supervisor concluded that it must have happened before it arrived at the post office. The $40.50 postage/insurance sticker on such a small box (see the above pic) may have tipped off the thief that something valuable was inside. This is a good example of why it's important to fully insure your packages and get tracking and signature confirmation. This package had a "signature required" label and I never signed for it. The postal supervisor told me they are now requiring the recipient to sign for their packages so whoever delivered it is going to get a lecture from this supervisor. Stay tuned.

While REGISTERED mail is slower, you will find it cheaper to send a box like this registered mail with the same amount of insurance coverage. Package has a better chance of arriving, costs less to send and has signature sign off along its way to the recipient.

I mailed someone a coin and the postal clerk explained that registered would actually be cheaper than insured. He even calculated both prices and registered was indeed cheaper although slower. I had always assumed that registered was always more expensive but that isn't always the case.

• Options

@Herb_T said:

@Coinscratch said:

I am going to call BS on photos being taken at the PO upon it receiving the package. That has never happened at the post offices I use. What do they do with this photo? I would ask to see the photo, if such a thing exists.

The postal supervisor scanned the bar code on my package and the picture came up on his computer screen. I don't know if the bar code reader has a built-in camera or if it's separate process. I lost a package a few months ago and my letter carrier told me that every time a package is scanned a picture is taken and the GPS location of the package is recorded.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sympathy for your loss. It is aggravating to say the least. Hope it shows up for sale somewhere we can spot it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file