Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Modern Proof Error Coin Thread!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2021 11:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are some out of this this world modern proof errors like the Ike Clover and Bronze Ike, but there are also modern proof errors that are just super enjoyable too.

This is a thread for those coins :)

Please post any you like here!

1972-S Eisenhower Dollar - Mint Error - Double Struck Both Off Center - NGC PF67 CAM

Here's one that I like. It's off center, toned, and with a full date, (essentially) full head, and full eagle.

Comments

• ByersByers Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Here is a unique PCGS certified Proof Canadian off metal in the upcoming Heritage auction.

I’ve handled almost all of the proof and exotic Canadian off metals that have been certified by PCGS and NGC, but this one I wasn’t aware of:

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 11:56AM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Here is a unique PCGS certified Proof Canadian off metal in the upcoming Heritage auction.

I’ve handled almost all of the proof and exotic Canadian off metals that have been certified by PCGS and NGC, but this one I wasn’t aware of:

Wow. That's really cool. I didn't realize that from looking at your archives, which has lots of US errors but only shows 8 Canadian ones. Time to add some more?

https://mikebyers.com/rarecoins-archives.html

So... would it be too much to say you're like the John Jay Pittman of Canadian Error Coins? ;)

By the way, here's the TrueView for the coin you posted:

1967 Canada $20 - Mint Error - on 8.2g 100% Ni Plan Centennial OMS - PCGS PR65DCAM

@Zoins

Pittman assembled one of the greatest coin collections of all time. When his legendary collection was auctioned, bidders had a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase some of his rarities.

Over the last 45 years I have bought and sold some of the most spectacular, expensive and unique mint errors, patterns and die trials. My extensive archive that you referrenced, speaks for itself. Although there are around 250 coins in my archive, it is not completed yet.

NGC has authenticated and certified some of my mint errors and included ‘BYERS COLLECTION’ as the provenance on the insert.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

@braddick

The unique proof Mated Ikes NGC was sold/ placed with a serious high-end collector!

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I still think this display is cool (not mine, of course):

What does the reverse look like?

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

edited December 29, 2021 9:52PM

@JesseKraft said:

@braddick said:
    I still think this display is cool (not mine, of course):

What does the reverse look like?

Really incredible pieces. In my opinion, this has a very good composition of Eisenhower, the Eagle and the Moon. I love the reeded edge too.

More photos are available here:

https://mikebyers.com/5911286-001-003.html

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @Zoins! I was wondering if the two planchets were placed on top of an Ike planchet and struck, or just struck by themselves. Appears to be the latter.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The error coins members show here are incredible. Though I do not collect errors, I really enjoy seeing them and understanding how they occur. Cheers, RickO

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

You just wonder with all the Quality controls at The U.S.Mint how these pieces Escape! just saying.

@Zoins

Last night ( Jan 3rd 2022) in the Heritage mint error auction, these proof errors realized very strong prices:

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 73 is so cool and I wanted it but did not go after it. The second 3 in the date makes for fantastic eye appeal.

Here are a few prices realized for both proof and mint state error coins in the Heritage Jan 3rd auction:

https://minterrornews.com/news-1-4-22-strong-prices-realized-for-mint-errors-in-january-2022-heritage-auction.html

edited January 4, 2022 8:49PM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Last night ( Jan 3rd 2022) in the Heritage mint error auction, these proof errors realized very strong prices:

That's a very eye appealing coin and Washington is well centered, but $9,600?? The realized price on that isn't just strong, it's out of this world!

That and the others seem to indicate modern US Mint proof errors are super hot right now.

@Zoins said:

“That and the others seem to indicate modern US Mint proof errors are super hot right now.”

Major proof mint errors have been realizing amazing prices in the last 7 or 8 Heritage Auctions!

•             I am new to the site trying to find out what you all think about this nickel I found in a roll from the bank I can’t upload my picture. I really want to know if this is the first dd from 1991. Please help can email but not upload from phone. Thanks

• @Rubbinnickels said:
    I am new to the site trying to find out what you all think about this nickel I found in a roll from the bank I can’t upload my picture. I really want to know if this is the first dd from 1991. Please help can email but not upload from phone. Thanks

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask, do coins like mine above get mixed into a coin bag? Is that how they make it out into the wild? They would never fit in a roll…..just curious.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great question. Many have offered opinions but in the bags is pretty good thought

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 11:47AM

@Herb_T said:
    I have to ask, do coins like mine above get mixed into a coin bag? Is that how they make it out into the wild? They would never fit in a roll…..just curious.

Most likely from a bag of coins or from a coin rolling company like Brinks who would get huge bags and pre 2002 I believe were allowed to sell their rejects (errors).

You like 55's , here is a unique on from my inventory ....

Chris- nice ‘blow hole’ defective planchet!

edited March 23, 2022 6:49PM

@Mithril said:
    I originally discovered this one raw in a group of coins I purchased off eBay. The seller had no idea what he had and never mentioned it or even photographed it, so it was a complete surprise to me when I opened the album and saw it. I sent it to PCGS then sold it at the Heritage ANA Signature Auction several years ago. Now I regret selling it :/

Amazing windfall @Mithril! That looks awesome!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited December 13, 2022 9:14PM

Just ran across this stunning Ike on Coin World. This sold in 2019 and was impressive enough that Steve Roach of Coin World wrote about it. It’s nice that it’s large enough to need a large holder!

Market Analysis: Huge, multi-struck 1973-S Ike dollar surprises

@Zoins

That’s an impressive piece- and silver too!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this impressive piece from John Sullivan's inventory.
    1983-S 1c Proof Cent Struck on a Dime Planchet.
    https://www.sullivannumismatics.com/coin/11-2022-ngc-1c-1984-s-lincoln-cent-struck-dime-planchet-pf63-uc

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noticing a lot of 1972 dated "errors" , the Multi Coin Ikes and what some would call "Mint Shenanigans".

Perhaps others have mentioned this in other threads, but with the high variety of errors for this year, can we be certain that the big one, the 1972 doubled die is not a created rarity mimicking the 1955 doubled die?

It's all about what the people want...

@Kliao said:
    Saw this impressive piece from John Sullivan's inventory.
    1983-S 1c Proof Cent Struck on a Dime Planchet.
    https://www.sullivannumismatics.com/coin/11-2022-ngc-1c-1984-s-lincoln-cent-struck-dime-planchet-pf63-uc

It's nice to see a proof!

I wonder if those spots can be conserved some how.

@LukeMarshall said:
    Noticing a lot of 1972 dated "errors" , the Multi Coin Ikes and what some would call "Mint Shenanigans".

Perhaps others have mentioned this in other threads, but with the high variety of errors for this year, can we be certain that the big one, the 1972 doubled die is not a created rarity mimicking the 1955 doubled die?

Very good question and interesting to think about.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's like 8 or more DDO 1972 Cent dies known.

I've thought the 1958 DDO 1c was inspired by 1955 DDO 1c.
    Their existence was mentioned in Breen when he came across them recalling the moment he crossed paths with a Philly Mint employee who owned them. Charles Ludvico ? I forget employee's name

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file