Home Precious Metals

One gram igr gold bars real or fake

PppPpp Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

I have an opportunity to pick up some igr one gram bars.
I apologize I only have this one picture but based on it I am concerned about the following:
-serial number has a letter and five digits, I always thought six or seven digits were used
-serial number printing looks choppy and not professional

Now granted these bars could be old (igr started producing bars in 2004) and I am having trouble getting the serial number ( ie: A99671) verified.

Comments and advice please regarding if real or fake (I have trouble thinking someone would fake one gram bars) based on this limited information.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the stuff I managed to find online did have 6 number serials. But, these have the same choppy looking font...I'd lean toward real and older...the fact the numbers aren't all the same eases my mind a little bit but I'd be leary for sure.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-gram-Gold-Bar-In-Assay/100758011

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

They appear to be ok. as mentioned in the above post, most likely earlier bars. 1 gr IGR bars are selling on ebay in the neighborhood of $70-$75 range.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take one, reserve the others and get one certified as pure gold... If it certifies, take the rest if economically feasible. Cheers, RickO

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Take one, reserve the others and get one certified as pure gold... If it certifies, take the rest if economically feasible. Cheers, RickO

Very logical approach.
    They look good to me.
    Earlier bars, what's on the back?
    Dont they usually have a hologram seal or such?

These sold on pintrest.

• PppPpp Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your comments.
    I checked all bars and they did pass the sigma on both sides so I bit the bullet and bought them all (20).
    I just noticed they all have the same bar code, same as the one rte592 posted.

@Ppp said:
    Thank you for your comments.
    I checked all bars and they did pass the sigma on both sides so I bit the bullet and bought them all (20).
    I just noticed they all have the same bar code, same as the one rte592 posted.

Nice pickups.
    I would like to think the hologram would be harder to fake.
    Still worth checking out purchases 6 ways to Sunday, just because someone somewhere is always looking to get into your pockets looking for your spare change.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 4:28PM

The bar code isn't tied to the serial 1-1, would just be for the product/batch/etc where the serial would mate up. If every bottle or six pack+ we sent out had a different barcode that would be an accounting/handling/shipping/recall/younameit nightmare.

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

Sure is pretty. Good luck.