Hibler and Kappen So-Called Half Dollars
To further the ongoing discussions with others on the size qualifications of So-Called Dollars, I decided to take a survey of how many undersized So-Called Dollars are listed in the So-Called Dollar reference by Harold E. Hibler and Charles Vaughan Kappen.
H&K says that all pieces should be 33mm to 45mm (except Bryan Dollars which can be larger), but it actually includes over 30 HK numbers assigned to 32mm pieces, so it's not an accident. The HK numbers are listed below.
From a consistency perspective, it seems like the two options are:
- Keep the definition and delist the pieces as So-Called Dollars. They can be called So-Called Half Dollars.
- Keep the pieces and change the definition to include 32mm.
From a consistency perspective, either of these two approaches seems preferable to the current state of having some 32mm pieces included and others excluded.
Here's my 32mm HK-364 which is likely a US Mint piece:
1909 Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo US Building Dollar
Pedigree: Howard Hornreich
The following are copy and pasted from https://so-calleddollars.com/
- HK-353 Silver. 32mm.
- HK-354 Bronze.
- HK-355 Copper.
- HK-356 Gilt.
- HK-356a Silver-plated Bronze. 32mm.
- HK-728a Bronze. Smaller barrel and text on barrel. 32mm.
- HK-917 Copper, plain edge. 32mm.
- HK-469 Gilt. 32mm.
- HK-469a Gilt. 32mm.
- HK-474a Gilt. 32mm.
- HK-787 Silver. Numbers engraved, not punched. Total struck, 101. Zerbe 1.
- HK-788 Silver. Scrolls at sides of State Seal; line above Colo. Approximately 210 struck. Zerbe
- HK-788a Same without number on obverse.
HK-789 Silver. Approximately 500 struck. Zerbe
- HK-789a Same without number on obverse.
HK-790 Silver. Approximately 10 pieces, die trials, were struck and bank punch was discarded. Zerbe
- HK-790a Same without number on obverse.
- HK-791 Silver. Zerbe
- HK-791a Same without number on obverse.
- HK-792 Same, but stamped J. M. Slusher / Cripple Creek, Colo. Approximately 260 stamped. Zerbe 6
- HK-793 Same, but stamped Sam Cohen / Victor, Colo. Approximately 50 stamped. Zerbe 7.
- HK-794 Same, but stamped D. W. Klein & Co. / Pueblo, Colo. Approximately 100 stamped. Dr. Whiteley reports knowledge of an additional hoard of 17. Zerbe 8.
- HK-795 Same, but stamped Geo. Mullen / Victor, Colo. Approximately 100 stamped. Zerbe 9.
- HK-795a Same without number on obverse.
- HK-796 Same, but stamped Boyd Park / Denver, Colo. Approximately 150 stamped. Zerbe 10.
- HK-796a Same without number on obverse.
- HK-797 Same, but stamped W. C. Alexander / Jeweler / Salida, Colo. Second A in Salida is inverted V. Approximately 50 stamped Zerbe 11.
- HK-917 Copper, plain edge. 32mm
- HK-1016 Silver. 35mm. Reported by Dr. Philip W. Whiteley. Zerbe 17.
- HK-1017 Same, but stamped Goodspeeds & Co. / 26 Pikes Peak Ave. Name engraved and serial number punched. Approximately 15 stamped. Zerbe 12.
- HK-1018 Same, but stamped J. E. Nelson & Co. / Holdrege, Neb. Presented to customers during formal opening of the Nelson store. Approximately 50 stamped. Zerbe 13.
- HK-1019 Same, but stamped W. F. White Merc. Co. / Grand Jct., Colo. Approximately 50 stamped. Zerbe 14.
- HK-1019a Same without number on obverse.
- HK-1020 Same, but engraved H. Stein. Zerbe 15.
- HK-1021 Same, but engraved H. H. Rosser. Zerbe 16.
- HK-1021a Same, but engraved A.W. Clark / Druggist / Denver, Colo. Zerbe 18.