Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin boxes that hold all slabs

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any boxes that hold slabs from both major grading companies? Running low on storage options.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use these to protect the coins and also because they work for all just about all types of slabs. They also fit nicely in my bank’s safety deposit boxes

Mr_Spud

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

since the TPG's keep redesigning their holders it's hard to find any one box that will accept them all. every TPG seems to have a slab generation that is too small to fit securely in some box(es), too tall or too thick to fit in every box. even now I don't think the newer PCGS slab will fit in an NGC box, that had been "catch-all" for me. come to think of it, I'm not even sure if the new PCGS slabs fit in old PCGS boxes.

the easy solution is to have just one type of holder in a collection but that is un-doable. the NGC boxes seem to work best along with a couple of PCGS boxes. my solution for the dilemma is Intercept Shield double row boxes for the SDB. no slots, everything fits even if it ain't a slab!!! :p

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the NGC box dimensions. It gives me some versatility in storage. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are very nice:

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I would think the NGC plastic boxes would work for either size. Anyone know where you can pick them up cheap? I'm in.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, my friend uses long black cardboard boxes which fit all major slabs.
    They do not have the ridged dividers that are specific to certain types of slabs.
    Either the "Whitman Double Row" or the "Heavy Duty Double Row 12 inch".
    https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/coin-slab-boxes/

• Options

@rooksmith said:
    I would think the NGC plastic boxes would work for either size. Anyone know where you can pick them up cheap? I'm in.

These won't hold pcgs slabs.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correction! These won't hold the newest PCGS Slabs.

@erwindoc said:

@rooksmith said:

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the black cardboard ones.They work good for me.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Correction! These won't hold the newest PCGS Slabs.

@erwindoc said:

@rooksmith said:

Fair enough 👌

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the SL10 that Mr. Spud posted above. I’ve been very pleased with them although I wish they made a bigger box than 10.

• Options
    crito_is_baaackcrito_is_baaack Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2021 4:48AM

That box of 20 thing isn't going to work for me. :blush:

The older red box is slightly smaller and the cardboard part looks thicker but whatcha gonna do.. as long as the stuff that does the intercepting is the same I guess that'll be OK.

EDIT: Just to clarify how can be smaller and thicker... the new one is like two 25 slab boxes inside of a bigger box so the exterior box is thinner. Reason that's important is because the corners on top of white box have already been crushed a little making it hard to open and close, whereas older box still has nice sharp corners after a decade of getting banged around.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 8:50PM

The old Teletrade boxes sure do. Sure glad I kept mine - handles them all.

Somebody would make some $$ if they designed a universal slab storage box and marketed it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

My Converse shoe box is doing the trick for me presently.

• Options

I use a shoe box for my government issued mint and proof sets. They just fit so perfectly in there..

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think there's high sulphur content in shoebox cardboard? Might the off gas trigger toning? I guess you could spray the box with clear acrylic to seal the fiber. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Mint/proof sets come in their own paper packaging that you have to keep if you want to resell them, so doesn't seem to matter much. Besides, they just don't fit anywhere else. I quit buying them for that reason quite frankly. Not worth the hassle. One shoebox is all the room they're gonna get. ;)

• Options

Aw, just for youse guyz, here's a sneak peek at my storage system. A box of 200 isn't gonna work for me either, so I've got a bit of a problem. :lol:

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2021 5:10AM

@erwindoc said:

@rooksmith said:

They will if you stagger (angle) the newer PCGS slabs. You lose one slot, however. The older PCGS slabs fit fine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just use PCGS boxes, and if other slabs do not fit, I lay them down in the box.... I have plenty of boxes, so it does not matter.... Mint/proof sets are in a cardboard storage box... have not looked at them in a decade or so. Also have a lot of slabs on a shelf by the computer... Yeah, I don't worry about the issue of boxes.... Oh yeah, I even have some Intercept boxes.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Do you think there's high sulphur content in shoebox cardboard? Might the off gas trigger toning? I guess you could spray the box with clear acrylic to seal the fiber. Peace Roy

Not sure about today's shoe boxes, but those from the 70's must have had high sulfur content. My Dad used to put all silver coins he got in a shoe box up till the 80's when they no longer circulated in any numbers. Just before he passed, he gave me the box with some other coins. Found this on the bottom.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2022 4:10PM

I picked up this generic slab box. It holds all 4 of my TPG'er slabs, ANACS, PCGS, ICG & NGC. I bought the adapter insert of the old small ANACS soap bar slabs.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few of those for my mixed collections. They are kind of a hassle to open and feel a little cheap but work fine. I do like the half size 10 coin boxes for a couple of short sets. Easily found on Amazon.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2022 6:52AM

If you have an abundance of PCGS boxes, I have made 3d printed adapters and with that they fit ngc, PCGS, anacs although the post above lifts the smaller holders, and pci and icg. See this link for reference. If you don't have an abundance of PCGS boxes, the ones linked above would be fine. If you need some of these adapters let me know.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1070835/does-anyone-have-any-coin-related-3d-printed-items#Comment_13171011

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    Of you have an abundance of PCGS boxes, I have made 3d printed adapters and with that they fit ngc, PCGS, anacs although the post above lifts the smaller holders, and pci and icg. See this link for reference. If you don't have an abundance of PCGS boxes, the ones linked above would be fine. If you need some of these adapters let me know.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1070835/does-anyone-have-any-coin-related-3d-printed-items#Comment_13171011

I bought a dozen of these adapters and they work great!

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    Of you have an abundance of PCGS boxes, I have made 3d printed adapters and with that they fit ngc, PCGS, anacs although the post above lifts the smaller holders, and pci and icg. See this link for reference. If you don't have an abundance of PCGS boxes, the ones linked above would be fine. If you need some of these adapters let me know.

The adapters are the greatest!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file