Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you agree with CAC here?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2021 8:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

CAC says:

1. They do not accept moderns: Note: CAC does not accept modern coins / bullion coins.
  2. They accept Eisenhower Dollars 1971-1978 (MS)

So, Eisenhower Dollars not modern! :)

https://www.caccoin.com/

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or most of the doubled dies listed?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 7:35AM

@gumby1234 said:
    Or most of the doubled dies listed?

Agree. The latest is 1995.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

we may or may not agree but CAC has their reasons for not excepting those types of coins

• Options

@silverpop said:
    we may or may not agree but CAC has their reasons for not excepting those types of coins

I think I actually agree to an extent.

I've been saying anything older than a YN isn't modern to me, so that means any thing older than 2003.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can actually say I have the latest date on the list, a 1995 doubled die in MS-68 RB with a green sticker!

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I can actually say I have the latest date on the list, a 1995 doubled die in MS-68 RB with a green sticker!

Good to know :+1:

Do you agree with CAC that your coin isn't modern?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I wish they would add Roosevelt 1946-64

I actually sent them some Roosies assuming anything before 1965 was not modern - did not notice at the time that they are anti-Roosi-ites! :D

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

The threshold for MS Ikes should be those graded MS65 and higher by PCGS or NGC.

Those forum members that may feel insulted can respond... or not respond.

It is Linus that I have concerns about... he is not a member but often demonstrates that he could be a promising young numismatist.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Good to know :+1:

Do you agree with CAC that your coin isn't modern?

I think you’re mistaking brevity for strict policy. In context, it is clear that what they are saying is that on the whole they don’t accept modern coins (so don’t just send in anything you have), but by the way, there are a few specific coins they will accept, even though they are moderns. Could they write all that out? Sure. Is it cleaner not to? Of course. Does that mean they don’t consider 1995 a modern issue? No. Bear in mind they still won’t accept a non-DDO 1995 cent, or any other coin from 1995, because they are moderns.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Proof Ikes were in hard plastic holders making most of them Pf 69 or better so I can understand why CAC would not want to purchase these. That said like it or not uncirculated Ikes in high grade are sought (not necessarily for beauty) but because they are tough in higher grades and likely few if any hoards will be found.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what separates humans from the animal kingdom: discretion.
    CAC is showing that here.

peacockcoins

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I wish they would add Roosevelt 1946-64

Me too. I got some that would definitely CAC.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

His company
    His choice
    He took the risk starting CAC.
    JMO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could you not agree? It's just a corporate decision not a global definition.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ikes are simple and widely collected, They are moderns but the exception.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably don't want to open the floodgates with lots of modern material trying to parse the 69/70 divide with their top notch numismatic eyes.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    They probably don't want to open the floodgates with lots of modern material trying to parse the 69/70 divide with their top notch numismatic eyes.

@logger7 said:

That wouldn’t account for accepting business strike Eisenhower dollars, but not Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy half dollars.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like for the end of the silver era 1964 to be the next year start of moderns and all 1965 and up to be moderns. I believe it would better satisfy the multitude of collectors of Jefferson's and Franklin's and Roosevelt's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes no difference to me. Did not realize they accepted Ike’s. Thanks for sharing that chart.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Makes no difference to me. Did not realize they accepted Ike’s. Thanks for sharing that chart.

I'm not surprised they accept Ikes.... Ikes are Big Money! :grin:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doe it say that you can only send up to a certain Point? Or no one read it, jmo

• Options

I wouldn’t be surprised if CAC is avoiding early Jefferson’s just so they didn’t have to deal with looking at those steps.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    CAC says:

1. They do not accept moderns: Note: CAC does not accept modern coins / bullion coins.
    2. They accept Eisenhower Dollars 1971-1978 (MS)

So, Eisenhower Dollars not modern! :)

https://www.caccoin.com/

But it doesn’t accept the proofs… :|

• Options

How many DCAM PR69 Ikes can you look at before going insane?

peacockcoins

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    I personally would classify Ikes as modern, but couldn't care less that CAC chooses to accept them.

“Modern” and “post-modern” were terms that were developed in the 20th century. “Modern” is the term that describes the period from the 1890s to 1945, and “post-modern” refers to the period after the Second World War, mainly after 1968.

:grin:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@braddick said:
    How many DCAM PR69 Ikes can you look at before going insane?

One… two… three… (crunch!)… three! Three DCAM PR69 Ikes!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always considered 1964 the last year of classic coins. However it’s their sticker service / money.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple "modern" Ike's in MS68+ and 69, I would send in, but of course I am not even allowed to apply to get a membership in this exclusive club, and I don't want to use a third party.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

QA Check is for Modern Coins as CAC is to Classic Coins.

James Sego and his crew are the best at Modern Coins.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:
    So, to paraphrase:

WON'T CAC:

Sorry, as much as I enjoyed the visual, I’m not convinced that the Mercury dime would sticker.😉

I'm sure neither one would sticker.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2021 11:15PM

@AlbumAccumulator said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if CAC is avoiding early Jefferson’s just so they didn’t have to deal with looking at those steps.

Or the weak strikes.

But here are a few (EDS, Proof-like, Full step) Jefferson nickels I think JA might like. The downside, there's just not enough of them out there/around for everyone's collection to enjoy. But does it really matter getting JA's approval when such coins speak loudly for themselves. These coins would hurt your eyes!

But.....than again, maybe I'm the exception.

Leo

Edited for grammer.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:
    So, to paraphrase:

WON'T CAC:

WILL CAC:

Sorry, as much as I enjoyed the visual, I’m not convinced that the Mercury dime would sticker.😉

Why Not?????

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:
    So, to paraphrase:

WON'T CAC:

WILL CAC:

Why Not?????

Mark can be, how shall I put it, a bit harsh in his critiques of some coins, I have found.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 6:37PM

@airplanenut said:

@amwldcoin said:

Sorry, as much as I enjoyed the visual, I'm not convinced that the Mercury dime would sticker.😉

Why Not?????

Mark can be, how shall I put it, a bit harsh in his critiques of some coins, I have found.

I absolutely and equitably agree other than I would substitute "accurate" for the word "harsh."

peacockcoins

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I have a couple "modern" Ike's in MS68+ and 69, I would send in, but of course I am not even allowed to apply to get a membership in this exclusive club, and I don't want to use a third party.

It’s not very exclusive and why aren’t you allowed to apply for a membership?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:
    So, to paraphrase:

WON'T CAC:

WILL CAC:

Why Not?????

It looks environmentally damaged (and for the benefit of @airplanenut, I don’t think I’m being particularly harsh😉).

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Makes no never mind to me what they want to put their sticker on! I guess it makes the insecure feel secure. I wonder how much Linus would pay for his blanket??? :#

I guess we won't see you at the new CAC forums Darrel? ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Insult or not it's a fact! CAC only is able to exist because some collectors don't trust their judgement, along with the TPG's loosening their standards....especially on coins that not so long ago would not receive a straight grade which are now given a pass today. There are even some with that glorified bean that IMHO should not receive a straight grade. You will recall I posted a prime example of that here not so long ago. To each their own.

Nice coins for the grade will always sell for more than a sub par example....bean or no bean!

This is all true. I am not Mark Feld, Bill Jones, Tom Bush, and others with decades of grading expertise. I need help and usually I don't have these guys at my beck and call, so I do like to see that bean on the slab, gives me more confidence in what I am buying.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Heck, they even bean Feuchtwanger tokens, and because of an inquiry from HardTimes this past week ( ;) ) they
    finally list them in their Pop Report. Ikes/Schmikes, let's get all HTT's to be part of the beaning game......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file