Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is the 75 Topps Brett in PSA 9 now a $6K card?

there have been 2 sales of the card since early october: one at $6.3K the other at $6.5K

are we really looking at over $6K for this card now? truly amazing.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing would surprise me at the prices on PSA 9 examples of 1975's as well as 1971's. A few other years are nearly impossible.

PSA refuses to give out 10's on these cards and has for a while, so if you want a "MINT" one, a 9 is what you will have to buy. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Expect this to go even higher in 2022.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I hedged on it. I mistakenly sold one for $1700 before the run-up. Then I bought one for $3200 in late 2020 to upgrade my set again. I'm still holding the short end of the stick on the Yount PSA 9 which I also sold a few years back and haven't upgraded again.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a iconic and great looking card from a fantastic set. I'm surprised this card hasn't reached 10 grand by now.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know it is not the most popular opinion, but I actually prefer the OPC version of the Brett rookie. I feel that the colors are more vibrant on the purple and green.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about a reasonable dollar value, but I do know that it is only logical that the price for a George Brett rookie card should actually start around the equivalent of 50-100 Mike Trout rookie cards.

^^^^^ this guy gets it!!!!!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2021 7:46AM

@craig44 said:
    i know it is not the most popular opinion, but I actually prefer the OPC version of the Brett rookie. I feel that the colors are more vibrant on the purple and green.

Unfortunately cannot get an OPC centered on both front and back. If one exists it is a unicorn. Love OPCs and agree with you on the color.

PSA 9s have really been increasing over the last year for vintage HOFers. The differential between 8 and 9 has expanded.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Brett is this much, what should Schmidt be?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Schmidt is north of $7K in a 9 now.

• Its a iconic and great looking card from a fantastic set. I'm surprised this card hasn't reached 10 grand by now.

With at least 500,000 of this card in existence, I'm amazed that a card this common is worth more than a few hundred dollars. We are definitely going to see the sports card bubble burst in the near future...

@MisterTim1962 said:

Its a iconic and great looking card from a fantastic set. I'm surprised this card hasn't reached 10 grand by now.

With at least 500,000 of this card in existence, I'm amazed that a card this common is worth more than a few hundred dollars. We are definitely going to see the sports card bubble burst in the near future...

There are 310 9s. It is obvious more than 310 people really want to own one of those. I myself own an 8 and am happy with my Brett and my Schmidt - but I understand those that desire to have a 9 and I don’t think the population of a card from1975 with PSAs stricter grading will move much. We all collect in different ways - but I do not think the segment of people with the means and desire to buy a PSA 9 Brett will fall below the 400 or so people that will keep this moving up over the long term.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would regrade that when the grading prices come down a little. Looks PSA 8 all the way!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

PSA is absolutely brutal grading 1975 topps baseball. That is one sweet 7. Crack and resubmit candidate.

It is a beautiful 7 and one to be proud to own - looks better than most 8s - but I think it would grade a 7 again because of the barely noticeable print line going down the right side of the card from just to the right of Royals to the right of the e in 3rd Base. Again I prefer this card to the 8s and 9s with fisheyes in noticeable places and centering issues.

Great card as usual JBRules.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I'm actually surprised it's not worth more.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Why no love for the Brett mini? It appears more difficult and approximately half the value.

@sayheywyo said:
    Why no love for the Brett mini? It appears more difficult and approximately half the value.

that is an interesting point. I remember that at least throughout the 90s and maybe longer, the minis were worth around 1.5x the base rookie. at some point that switched. not sure why? the mini is a more rare card.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably because there were / are TONS of unopened boxes of mini’s still around…

I agree there are is more mini unopened around, which would explain the difference in price for unopened, but it was a test issue and overall, there are far fewer examples extant.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, much of the mini wax out there contains garbage, mostly miscut cards. I'm not sure how much of the Conlan hoard was not impacted but it seems like the cards in the majority of those cases were O/C and miscut.

Regarding production numbers, there were a lot of Brett rookies produced. However, there were a ton more Griffey UD rookies produced and those have seemed to hold their value fairly well. A PSA 10 Griffey UD is much easier to find than a Brett RC in PSA 9. Yet the Griffey 10s are selling for $2k+. A pop 4,000 card vs a pop 300 card. Less than 1/10th the population yet only 3x more valuable.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are quickly becoming my fave poster.
    Please don’t change, no NY resolutions for you pal

@MisterTim1962 said:
    I'm surprised that less than 11,000 have been graded. That means there are potentially another 489,000 that could be graded. There has to be thousands of future 9's (and even 10's) in those 489,000 cards. Something to consider before you plunk down 6k for a mass produced card...

• You are quickly becoming my fave poster.

Please don’t change, no NY resolutions for you pal

Nah, I'll never change. The glass is always half empty in my world...

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

No way there are thousands of 9’s out thrrr waiting to be graded on the Brett RC. Even if they are, they’ll never come to market. But they just aren’t. If they aren’t already slabbed they’re deteriorating in some boxes somewhere.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:

I could never get into the minis'. Probably because I didn't collect them as a kid and actually didn't
    even know they existed when I was a kid. And at the time 2 1/2 by 3 1/2" was standard card size
    for years and years. Basically the minis are just not nearly as mainstream as the regular cards.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grote, probably the main reason I couldn't get into the minis' is several years ago I bought
    3 wax boxes of them from BBCE and was dumb enough to open every single pack in all 3 boxes.
    At that time I paid $1500 per box. Every pack I opened almost every card was off centered, most extremely off centered.
    But I just couldn't help myself, I had to just keep ripping and ripping like a madman!
    The corners were nice, crisp and sharp but just horrible centering. If I had just left them unopened!! :'(
    But I did learn a valuable lesson, I now have the discipline to purchase unopened material and keep it that way.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Grote, probably the main reason I couldn't get into the minis' is several years ago I bought
    3 wax boxes of them from BBCE and was dumb enough to open every single pack in all 3 boxes.
    At that time I paid $1500 per box. Every pack I opened almost every card was off centered, most extremely off centered.
    But I just couldn't help myself, I had to just keep ripping and ripping like a madman!
    The corners were nice, crisp and sharp but just horrible centering. If I had just left them unopened!! :'(
    But I did learn a valuable lesson, I now have the discipline to purchase unopened material and keep it that way.

I hear you...unfortunately most of the mini boxes out there as someone alluded to above are filled with OC cards which is one of the reasons building a high grade 75 mini set even with plentiful supply of wax available is very difficult to do.

At least you were into those boxes for only $1500 per..they are 4x that now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • No way there are thousands of 9’s out thrrr waiting to be graded on the Brett RC. Even if they are, they’ll never come to market.

Yup, there's a lot of older collectors who don't want to get their cards graded. Even more who have complete 1975 sets in sheets in a binder who want to keep them that way. Those will probably never get graded in the near future.

I am sure there are tons of very nice Bretts out there in collections, but with the overall lack of QC for 70s topps cards, I don't believe there are hundreds more 9s out there. If you have ever opened many 75s, even if the corners/edges are nice, they are riddled with fisheyes, centering and print problems that would keep them from grading 9.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Brett card and the 75 set. Big part of my childhood, and still have many racks, singles, and unopened boxes from 1975. Crazy thing is that people don’t realize that despite hitting .390 that one season his lifetime BA was only .305 - very surprising that his lifetime stats are rather underwhelming.

Whats a 10 worth?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamvette5 said:
    @daltex That's quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Sounds personal.

No, sarcastic. I thought it was in the same vein as saying Brett's lifetime stats were underwhelming. It's hard to make a case that Brett's not a top five all-time third baseman, with Boggs, Beltre, Matthews, and Schmidt. And yet @KendallCat appeared to say that he wasn't close.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Shamvette5 said:
    @daltex That's quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Sounds personal.

No, sarcastic. I thought it was in the same vein as saying Brett's lifetime stats were underwhelming. It's hard to make a case that Brett's not a top five all-time third baseman, with Boggs, Beltre, Matthews, and Schmidt. And yet @KendallCat appeared to say that he wasn't close.

You are seeing things you want to see rather than taking my comments for face value. Brett is an all time great at 3b and his rookie card along with Schmidt, Ozzie, Murray… is one of the keys to the 70’s. I looked up his stats for his career and was shocked at what I saw. I honestly thought he had better overall stats for his career. My comments about underwhelming were in relation to what I thought he had done his career average and HR wise. Thought he was a .320 lifetime average with about 400 HR’s.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has to be the nicest 9 in existence. What a beauty.

@grote15 said:
    Nice to see these mini Bretts get some much deserved fanfare! Here's the back side of my 9.

these are some amazing-looking brett rookies you guys are sharing. tremendous really. leads me to another question, with no right answer really: Is the Brett rookie the most iconic card of the 70s?

I would say yes.

from a memorable set, great colors, condition sensitive, instantly recognizable, one of the most valuable cards of the decade, hof player.

My guess would be that the number of players with 3000 hits, 300 hr's, and a 300 or better BA is pretty low.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    My guess would be that the number of players with 3000 hits, 300 hr's, and a 300 or better BA is pretty low.

Pujols continuing to extend his career dropped him out of this group (.297 career after last season)

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

He's actually one of four players ever to have 3000 hits, 300 HRS and 200 SBs (Aaron, Mays and Winfield) as well as one of four to have 3000 hits, 300 HRS and career average over .300 (Aaron, Mays and Musial). Quite overwhelming imo. Only 19 of the 32 career 3000 hit guys batted .300+ for their career.

@GreenSneakers said:

@coolstanley said:

Pujols continuing to extend his career dropped him out of this group (.297 career after last season)

Yup, Brett played the same number of years(21).

Ignore list -Basebal21