Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is the coin look like DCAM to you?

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2021 10:49AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is PCGS photo. It sold for sky price at ha. I have been saying buy china coin for couple years but this coin price seems very high. This coin ms64 use to be at around $500 before Covid. China coin price kept going up auction after auction. Basically if you buy at current auction then you might be able to sell next auction. Can’t believe it.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2021 12:37PM

Doesn’t look deep cameo, but does look prooflike for a MS coin. I don’t have a clue what makes it a $20,000 coin though.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks like a proof coin. Whether it's a ms64 I kind of wonder. Dcam doesn't seem right either. Nicer pictures what help.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

PCGS did not label it pl. from PCGS photo it did not look like pl to me nor pcdm.

• Options

This from ha description

Republic Sun Yat-sen "Junk" Dollar Year 23 (1934) MS64 PCGS, KM-Y345, L&M-110, Kann-624. A truly standout example that appears decidedly Prooflike when compared to the near-ubiquitous satin finish of the Junk Dollar series. Though given no special modifiers by PCGS, the fields are wholly watery and reflective, contrasting with richly frosted central features, producing an aesthetic appeal that renders this offering unique to say the least. Additionally lightly handled and at the cusp of gem, this offering may well exceed our estimate.

NOTE: This lot was manufactured in China and was sourced from outside the United States for this auction after September 1, 2019. Under the new US tariffs on Chinese goods, collector's items from China will be subject to a 7.5% import tariff. Any clients who wish to take delivery of this item in the United States should be aware of this added charge, and consult their tax adviser with any questions.

民國二十三年(1934)孫中山像壹圓銀幣。MS64 PCGS。
    一個非常出色的例子。與同款其他例子相比,此枚深打,底板高度反光,與圖文特徵形成鮮明對比。儘管 PCGS 沒有給予特殊評分,但整體產生了獨特的吸引力。近乎Gem級狀態,此品的最終成交價可能會超出我們的估計

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin, dude. B)
    PL, yes, Cameo??? Our host (PCGS), seems picky on the "Cameo or Deep Cameo"? Your coin does look a tad blotchy for the Cameo designation?
    Cool coin though. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was the sail’s something about the lines it a variety. I would need to pull my book out for this one I think it was minted in San Francisco. Something like that.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not a DCAM and not even a CAM.... at least not from those pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the 1934 was far more available than the 1933. I have never seen this type with this contrast. I doubt PCGS acknowledges or grades this type with a PL or DMPL or as a CAM. Seems the owner should be happy with the hammer price.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to say that your coin is not a Dcam or Cam.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure it isn't a US coin... :/

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the likelihood of a Chinese fake even higher if it’s a Chinese coin?
    20k! You can buy a lot of fake Morgan’s for 20k ...!!

• Options

The original dies for this series were produced in Philadelphia. There were around 30,000,000 1934 restrikes produced at the US Mints in 1949 and shipped to Canton. It is likely not an absolute certainty, but there is a reasonable chance that the coin featured here is part of a hoard associated with the 1949 restrikes.

I suspect the question was raised here on the US forum because Morgan collectors are more accustom to the PL-DMPL and cameo type issues than world collectors. My gut tells me the coin was struck on US soil.

• Options

I stand corrected in that PCGS recognizes the 1934 in PL and they have graded a total of 13 if those that obtained a + designation are included... This coin may very well fall within the PL range... hard to tell from the images but there is such a sharp contrast that it could and was simply overlooked. I suspect the winner will likely resubmit this one.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

DCAM is a proof designation. This is not a proof coin. You can argue that it’s Prooflike (PL), but not DCAM or CAM.