Home U.S. Coin Forum

1971 Lincoln Penny

DjvanDjvan Posts: 12
edited December 11, 2021 5:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have this 1971 Lincoln Penny that has an unusual color and weighs 3.10 gr. Also can I change my profile image I am not mad. Thanks

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

3.1grams is so so close to the official weight of 3.11g

As to the color, we’d need pictures - both sides - full on - well lit

Drag and drop
    Or
    Cut and paste

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DjvanDjvan Posts: 12
    edited December 11, 2021 6:18PM

Here is the image if I have done it right? I am trying Sorry not to computer savy

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Djvan... Welcome aboard. Your image does not show up. You may be in the 'qualification' period for a few days...Cheers, RickO

• Thanks RickO!

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can upoad your own thumbnail image by clicking on the gear icon at the top right and go from there.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• IMG_20211211_195307440_2

• This is a 1971 no FG on reverse, color is not like the other pennies I have. Sorry about the way I have to post pics. Thanks

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cent that is worth one cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a large RED ARROW pointing to the pic tab that says: PUSH HERE TO POST PICS.
    I think it could save around 10,000 man hours per year.

edited December 13, 2021 10:29AM

!961 D Washington Quarter. II think this mighty be machine doubling. Thanks sorry about pics trying to get a little better camera to help with clearer pics

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, machine doubling. ;)

edited December 14, 2021 2:10PM

Here is a 1959 D someone tell me if it is worth grading. Thanks

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2021 2:34PM

What's your best guess on the grade and do you think it will be worth more than the grading fees once you get it back?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Djvan said:
    Here is a 1959 D someone tell me if it is worth grading. Thanks

It can’t grade higher than 63 with that fingerprint. It’s one I would see retail for 50c or 1d for greedy sellers.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

Go here to get an idea about grading.

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

It takes some practice, take the time to give it your best shot. I better question would be, "I think this grades MSxx based on PCGS photograde. Do you agree?". Then, the board can give you feedback and tips. So what if you're off base, that's how you'll learn.

• I know the pics aren't has good as looking at it in front of you. comparing my coin to those in the photograde , I think this would grade at a MS 66 and without better pics it is hard to get someone to see what I see so I guess until I get a better way of taking clearer pics no sense in bothering people. I appreciate the responses from everyone. May see you all little later, Thanks again

Unless you have an EXCELLENT idea of what PCGS graders call an MS66 or higher Lincoln cent you would be wise to forget about submitting. The coin you show is an ultra common date and will not prove to worth the cost of grading unless it achieves a very high MS grade at PCGS. I think that is very unlikely to happen.

All glory is fleeting.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Djvan said:
    I know the pics aren't has good as looking at it in front of you. comparing my coin to those in the photograde , I think this would grade at a MS 66 and without better pics it is hard to get someone to see what I see so I guess until I get a better way of taking clearer pics no sense in bothering people. I appreciate the responses from everyone. May see you all little later, Thanks again

MS 66 seems vanishingly unlikely with the blatant fingerprint...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Djvan "I think this would grade at a MS 66"

Even at MS-66 it would not be worth grading, grading will cost you $17 without shipping & insurance both ways.
    Here is one that sold on Dec 7 for $15.90 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265425150831?hash=item3dcc92636f:g:M1wAAOSwXithonLH&nma=true&si=xnHEg5yYHywyMlCtMkWBLDHrBjY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Your 59 Lincoln will grade 64 RB at best but I would suggest getting it graded along with a few others. My first order of 1960 Lincoln’s came back mostly 64 with a couple of 65’s and as deflating as that was they proved to be a great tool. Because now I had something to compare the next ones with.
    I can’t even look at them now :)
    But for you I’ll dig them up!

Here is a mixture of some from my first two orders. Like you I was certain I had at least 66’s :)
    I still recommend getting your best off to grading ASAP so you will have the tools necessary in your possession to move forward. Nothing compares to personal experience for learning.

Best of luck!

And happy hunting!

• You guys are wonderful people and I appreciate all the information most sites I have tried to get this type of input I really had a hard time. I will take everyone's advice and just keep getting better at coin hunting maybe one day I will find that diamond in the ruff :). Thanks again!!!

It takes time, but keep studying the links on grading. Also, look at all the Guess The Grade (GTG) posts. They are great grading practice. You don't have to respond, just remember your guess when they post the results

• Thanks for your help!!!

• You people are the best. Thanks for all the information!!!!

Now that I see the fingerprint on the reverse I would simply call that coin spending money. Fingerprints are there to stay.

All glory is fleeting.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Djvan :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Thank you!!!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Your 59 Lincoln will grade 64 RB at best but I would suggest getting it graded along with a few others. My first order of 1960 Lincoln’s came back mostly 64 with a couple of 65’s and as deflating as that was they proved to be a great tool. Because now I had something to compare the next ones with.

Wouldn't it be quicker and cheaper to just buy ones that are already slabbed?

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

Wouldn't it be quicker and cheaper to just buy ones that are already slabbed?

Yes, it would be quicker and cheaper. And if my memory serves I believe you gave me the same advice a couple years back and at times I have wondered why I didn't take that advice. I guess stubborn is as stubborn does.

• 1970 no mint mark floating roof …Im not a seasoned coin collector, but I believe here I have a floating roof error, wondering is this a double die as well? Any suggestions on tell tale signs of errors or what to look for are greatly appreciated! Ty in advance!

(https://us.vcdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ti/sh7b81njvzi9.jpeg "")
    ![](https://us.v cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/fg/w767wuu5940c.jpeg "")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file