Home U.S. Coin Forum

1962 U.S. Mint medal series by Coin World

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very generous CU member ( @MWallace ) sent the medals below to me on "permanent loan" basis.

I found them to be quite fetching. I was but a toddler when these were struck. They are obviously in much better condition than I am these days. Coming up in a few days, these will be officially 60 years old.

Each medal commemorates one of the seven (7) U.S. Mints that were or had been in operation back then. Obviously, there is no West Point mint in this series. I wonder if they couldn't add just one more medal on the 60th Anniversary of this set.

I will be primarily posting the obverses, as all but one share a common reverse. At the end, I will post the two reverses used.

Anyway, without further ado and presented in order of first year of operation, here is the 1962 U.S. Mint medal set by Coin World.

Enjoy . . . .

Z

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - Philadelphia, PA (1792 to present)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - Charlotte, NC (1835 to 1851)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - Dahlonega, GA (1838 to 1861)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - New Orleans, LA (1838 to 1909)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - San Francisco, CA (1854 to present)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - Carson City, NV (1870 to 1893)

Coin World U.S. Mint Medal - Denver, CO (1906 to present)

The two reverses used are seen below. The first undated reverse was used on all the medals except for the Charlotte, NC mint medal. The Charlotte medal used the 1962 dated reverse.

Undated common reverse

1962 dated Charlotte reverse

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Medals and images Z.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 8:55AM

I like those mint medals... Would love to get the CC medal....Just to add to my CC collection. @ZoidMeister Any idea where one of these might be available?? Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice series.

Who struck them and how big are they? They have nice relief.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the full set in Bronze in a Capital Plastics holder when I worked there.

I seem to remember that a few were also struck in Silver, but I would not swear to it now.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I had the full set in Bronze in a Capital Plastics holder when I worked there.

I seem to remember that a few were also struck in Silver, but I would not swear to it now.

The full set was also struck in silver. The set looks especially good in the custom made Capital Plastics holder. The existing mintage totals will never be know for certain since large numbers of them were melted down during the 1970s but no records of the amounts melted were retained.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Nice series.

Who struck them and how big are they? They have nice relief.

Best I can tell, these were produced for Coin World by Medalic Arts Co. (MACO). These were a gift to me by an esteemed CU member.

I really don't know much more about them. They did come with printed tags I think the previous owner of this set created. I will try to dig those out, take photos, and post them. Perhaps they will trigger a thought or two from those familiar with the names on them.

Might be early next week before I can get that done. Work is killing my ability to get on the forum.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do look like MAC products.

They originally came in small Medallic Arts boxes. I believe each also had a paper information insert. The Capital Plastics holders came in either black or white if I recall correctly.

All glory is fleeting.

Not much useful information I'm afraid.

Z

• goldengolden Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember those back in the day. I never did buy a set.

• They're available on Ebay.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle1974 said:
    They're available on Ebay.

The "1962" Charlotte bronze seems to be the most abundant, followed by the Philadelphia bronze as the second most abundant. At any given time there is a good chance that one or more bronze Charlotte and one or more bronze Philadelphia are listed on eBay. All others seem to be pretty scarce, especially the silver (they were definitely made - I have a silver set). I've been looking for extra Denver or Carson City medals (bronze or silver) for a while but I haven't found any.

Here is mintage information on all of the Coin World Mint Medals:

1962 (undated reverse) Philadelphia Mint, Bronze - 10,000
    1962 (undated reverse) Philadelphia Mint, Silver - 750
    1962 (dated reverse) Charlotte Mint, Bronze - 10,000
    1962 (dated reverse) Charlotte Mint, Silver - 750
    1963 (undated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Bronze - 632
    1963 (1962 dated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Bronze - Unknown mintage. This does exist!
    1963 (undated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Silver - 245
    1964 (undated reverse) Carson City Mint, Bronze - 932
    1964 (undated reverse) Carson City Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) Dalonega Mint, Bronze - 797
    1965 (undated reverse) Dalonega Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) San Francisco Mint, Bronze - 724
    1965 (undated reverse) San Francisco Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) Denver Mint, Bronze - 724
    1965 (undated reverse) Denver Mint, Silver - 245
    1969 (undated reverse) New Philadelphia Mint, Bronze - 615
    1969 (undated reverse) New Philadelphia Mint, Silver - 210

In 1975 the unsold medals were melted. Coin World did not keep a record of what was melted.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the post and great pics.
    What a nice gift from @MWallace ).
    You've got to love the generosity of so many forum members.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Awesome report! Thanks much

@291fifth said:
    Here is mintage information on all of the Coin World Mint Medals:

1962 (undated reverse) Philadelphia Mint, Bronze - 10,000
    1962 (undated reverse) Philadelphia Mint, Silver - 750
    1962 (dated reverse) Charlotte Mint, Bronze - 10,000
    1962 (dated reverse) Charlotte Mint, Silver - 750
    1963 (undated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Bronze - 632
    1963 (1962 dated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Bronze - Unknown mintage. This does exist!
    1963 (undated reverse) New Orleans Mint, Silver - 245
    1964 (undated reverse) Carson City Mint, Bronze - 932
    1964 (undated reverse) Carson City Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) Dalonega Mint, Bronze - 797
    1965 (undated reverse) Dalonega Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) San Francisco Mint, Bronze - 724
    1965 (undated reverse) San Francisco Mint, Silver - 245
    1965 (undated reverse) Denver Mint, Bronze - 724
    1965 (undated reverse) Denver Mint, Silver - 245
    1969 (undated reverse) New Philadelphia Mint, Bronze - 615
    1969 (undated reverse) New Philadelphia Mint, Silver - 210

In 1975 the unsold medals were melted. Coin World did not keep a record of what was melted.

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, these are products of the Medallic Art Co. (MACO), and were sculpted by Robert Weinman.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 8:24PM

Sorry - wrong thread.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file