Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much will this reed dent hurt the grade? So much it will just be details graded?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is….will this be straight graded or will it be details graded? Coin is an 1879

Comments

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. Good question. I'll be watching for the answer.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen worse graded but that doesn't mean much.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the graders on that day know.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent pictures of an attractive coin. I would not venture a guess without seeing the coin in hand. Toss a coin... heads or tales?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

seems acceptable to me

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight grade

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a rule of thumb most rim bumped coins will straight grade unless the denticles are deformed...IE out of alignment.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin looks as if it would straight grade... Yes, rim damage, but not severe, or impacting a surface. JMO Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    As a rule of thumb most rim bumped coins will straight grade unless the denticles are deformed...IE out of alignment.

This but would add it also matters if we are talking an UNC or circulated coin. The more abuse a coin has seen equals the more abuse that the graders will tolerate.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    excellent pictures of an attractive coin. I would not venture a guess without seeing the coin in hand. Toss a coin... heads or tales?

Will probably land on the flat spot and stand up! 🤪

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote straight grade as long as you can’t see any file marks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin... for me when there are issues such as this it can be a judgment call. If you submit, please post the result and hope the submission goes well if you should you go that route

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file