Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Commem Deep Cam?

GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are seller’s pics…pretty dark fields eh?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blemish free is the remarkable part

Highly mirrored modern proofs will show black fields if shot properly

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to start by writing that the photo (especially reverse) looks fuzzy beyond just not being properly focused. It could be any combination of image compression, resizing (specifically sizing up), or manipulation of some kind, but getting super dark fields isn't hard with good lights.

However, then I noticed the messed up outline of the sun, and I can't account for that with any combination of lighting and the sun's frost reflecting in the fields. While I think a legit photo could be (about) as black and white as this, I think this one's been played with.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that sun myself. Looks like some software shenanigans going on.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been said, modern proofs can show perfectly black fields, but the images in the OP's post are suspect. It might just be pixelation from under-sized photos.

• Options

Thanks for prompting me to look closer

The reason for the remarkably clean fields is it has probably been manipulated

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t take this crowd long!

At first I thought it was a frosting error by the Mint…alas a closer inspection indicates the photos were crudely manipulated.

I saw the same pics from two different sellers!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    As has been said, modern proofs can show perfectly black fields, but the images in the OP's post are suspect. It might just be pixelation from under-sized photos.

Please educate the ignorant (me). What causes the fields on a proof coin to appear black in a photograph? I would think having a mirror finish it would show up as glare in a photograph.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the fields were painted 😉. Problematic

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

to keep reflections from showing in the mirrors, I shoot proofs at a tiny angle. this will make them black

notice in a 2016 proof, there are imperfections in the field on the reverse. definitely remarkable for a modern proof even made today not to have any imperfections in the fields.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo in the OP looks 'tooled'... the picture, not the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@pmh1nic said:

@BryceM said:

Please educate the ignorant (me). What causes the fields on a proof coin to appear black in a photograph? I would think having a mirror finish it would show up as glare in a photograph.

It just depends on the lighting angle and is no different than holding one in hand. Directly illuminated and the coin is almost uniform in color (the frosty devices may show a slightly different shade). Indirectly illuminated, the devices show as white and the fields as black--the deep cameo effect. Photo lighting can exaggerate this, but on the whole it's no different than holding the coin in hand.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@pmh1nic said:

@BryceM said:

It just depends on the lighting angle and is no different than holding one in hand. Directly illuminated and the coin is almost uniform in color (the frosty devices may show a slightly different shade). Indirectly illuminated, the devices show as white and the fields as black--the deep cameo effect. Photo lighting can exaggerate this, but on the whole it's no different than holding the coin in hand.

Thanks for the info. I've never owned a DCAM coins so no experience with actually holding one. I'll have to expand my horizons. I hesitate to do that because it tends to set of a chain reaction I can't control.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:

@airplanenut said:

@pmh1nic said:

@BryceM said:

Thanks for the info. I've never owned a DCAM coins so no experience with actually holding one. I'll have to expand my horizons. I hesitate to do that because it tends to set of a chain reaction I can't control.

Just find a cheap, recent proof set if you want a few.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 7:22PM

Grab a pf 70 Tuskegee quarter from the birth set. Lots on eBay FS or fdoi. $20-35 cheap. Nice product 😉
    I also bought the 2021 clad proof set $32 from the mint. Its nice.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, as mentioned, proof fields will show a nice black. But this one had some help with photoshop.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go @pmh1nic and @Jzyskowski1
    >

>

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always loved the TrueView images, especially the proof coins which are hard to capture in the holder. Here are a few.......

I've not been happy with the TrueViews this past year. Many times they don't represent the coin in hand. This one I received back earlier this year. Obvious black and white situation but no.

Emailed them, was told this is the way all of them are. Consider me disappointed @PCGSPhoto

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a pic of an enhanced SAE that I took a while back.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Emailed them, was told this is the way all of them are. Consider me disappointed @PCGSPhoto

Alright, I'll ask my team to shoot this particular issue the other way when we get them going forward.

Phil

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file