Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long does it take to wear down an Ike?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2021 8:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought 100 circulated Eisenhower dollars, picked the one that look the most worn, and now I've been rubbing at it with my thumb for a week or so. If I work on this for let's say an hour a day, how long before I start seeing noticeable further wear?

Edited to add:. Isn't that a hella nice picture of my Ike? 😀

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

It'll wear down faster if you carry it in your pocket with your other pocket change.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    It'll wear down faster if you carry it in your pocket with your other pocket change.

Will it get smoother that way, or just gradually more beat up? And if jangling around with other coins wears it down, how is that fundamentally different than coins in a tumbler?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@Klif50 said:
    You'll wear the skin off your thumb before you wear much metal off the coin.

That's no skin off my nose... Skin keeps growing back... 😉

• Options

@moursund said:

@PerryHall said:

Will it get smoother that way, or just gradually more beat up? And if jangling around with other coins wears it down, how is that fundamentally different than coins in a tumbler?

I assume you want to have the wear look natural. Carrying the coin with other coins will impart natural wear. Of course, it will take many years.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Klif50 said:
    You'll wear the skin off your thumb before you wear much metal off the coin.

That's no skin off my nose... Skin keeps growing back... 😉

But until the skin grows back on your fingers, you'll feel bad

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 7:43PM

Rubbing for 1 hour every day for 5 years will lower it variables of ms- AU 5 years. AU- F 5 more years. F-G 5 additional years. Your results may vary on skin type and pressure applied during rubbing. This is fairly correct accurate data. 🙃

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In pocket, with other coins, your keys, etc. It will take quite a while. I carried around an SAE like that pretty much daily for a couple of years and it was still AU50-ish after all that; your Ike surely presents a more durable surface. I realize you're sort of past this point with that Ike, but you can learn a lot that way starting with an unc coin and watching as it changes.

At some point in my travels I wound up with a Bicentennial Ike that's worn down to ~AG03 and I've often wondered how much carrying it around somebody had to do to produce that result. Decades I suspect.

mirabela
  • Options

If you are in a hurry to wear down your coin, you could try rubbing it on a Walmat parking lot. It'll wear down a lot faster than using your thumb but you probably won't like the results.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    If you are in a hurry to wear down your coin, you could try rubbing it on a Walmat parking lot. It'll wear down a lot faster than using your thumb but you probably won't like the results.

I would expect my thumb to do a smoother job than, say, a belt sander. I just wondered if I would notice it happening over months, or would it take years...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need more friction than a thumb would provide

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2021 8:31PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Need more friction than a thumb would provide

Rosin? 🤔😜

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rosin?

You’d probably put a blister on your thumb.

Anyway strictly rubbing over the surface like that will likely leave it polished.

I accidentally polished a pocket piece peace by not having enough coins in there. It’s not a mirror but it shines.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a very interesting post. I wondered the same thing about a Morgan about a year ago. Carried it around for several months and handled it often. It was about low AU when I got it and now looks AU cleaned because it is shiny from all the handling. Seriously, how did dollar coins in commerce ever get worn down to G-VG. How many transactions would that have taken? It’s fascinating. Would make for a very interesting experiment in a controlled lab environment.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 10:21PM

I wonder how it would fare if you started with a belt sander and then carried it around as pocket piece to smoothen the surfaces for a few years.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a small grouping I just picked up yesterday. Even if you wear them down, the upside is small unless they're slabbed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133940914522?nma=true&si=6KIlel88N52zn9%2BXQexbHbx0HYY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Here's a small grouping I just picked up yesterday. Even if you wear them down, the upside is small unless they're slabbed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133940914522?nma=true&si=6KIlel88N52zn9%2BXQexbHbx0HYY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What?!? I was counting on making a fortune by wearing down Ike dollars with my thumb and selling them on Etsy..

• Options

@moursund said:

@PerryHall said:

I would expect my thumb to do a smoother job than, say, a belt sander. I just wondered if I would notice it happening over months, or would it take years...

It would depend on how much grit is on your thumb, If your hands were clean, it would take almost forever to wear it down where it would even be noticeable.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 1:32PM

At least 200 years.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

It's like the kid that asked the eighty year old man "How old do you have to be before you can't have sex anymore"?

The old man said "Son, you're gonna have to ask someone older than me"

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it in a vibratory cartridge case cleaner with coarse grit... It will wear evenly and only take days, not years. Rubbing with your thumb will take several lifetimes. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Put it in a vibratory cartridge case cleaner with coarse grit... It will wear evenly and only take days, not years. Rubbing with your thumb will take several lifetimes. Cheers, RickO

Great suggestion. When you're done, you can carry it in your pocket with some pocket change for a few weeks to give it a more natural circulated coin look. Please let us know what course of action you choose and let us know the results.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got 3 90% pieces I carry, one for at least 5 years and a couple for 3+. You'd barely notice the difference.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes 3 licks to get to the center of a Ike

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the pic 😎

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, close to a lifetime. I've had this keychain for 30 years and use it everyday, multiple times a day, also thumbing it for good luck. My Dad had it for about 20 years before he passed on and I took possession. I believe it was UNC or AU+ when he got it and had it holed. Looks like a VF now. Maybe my grandchildren can get it to Good.

• Options

@Crypto said:
    It takes 3 licks to get to the center of a Ike

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to crunch on it and break all my teeth.

• Options

"Related sponsored items"

Young Numismatist

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

This is about 35 years of wear as a keychain in my pocket.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes 3 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop...........according to the wise owl

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

>

It will take much longer than years with your finger I believe. And when it finally showed wear it would be more in some spots than others and there would be a "washboard effect" as well. By weight you'll deposit far more than you rub off.

Put it in a pocket with other coins at least to the level of the Ike standing on edge and then do some hard work like digging ditches, turning big rocks into little ones, or dragging pyramids and you'll be amazed how quickly it wears down. If you want to do less work then grind the rims off before you start since they just get in the way of wearing it down.

In the old days every time you saw a man working you could hear the change wearing out in his pocket if you were close enough. In those days the coins wore quickly because they were nice soft silver and mostly copper and they wore evenly because most of the wear was in pockets. Now very few do much physical work and the few that do carry little change. It results in scratches and dings on the hard cu/ ni and then it gets beat up more in counters. There's very little wear now days and coins are more beaten into a lower grade rather than rubbed out gradually.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes you wonder about the low grade slabbed clad coins in those low ball sets. Are they truly natural circulation/pocket pieces, or did they have help? I guess if they're certified, they must be legit 🤔

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Makes you wonder about the low grade slabbed clad coins in those low ball sets. Are they truly natural circulation/pocket pieces, or did they have help? I guess if they're certified, they must be legit 🤔

Like in football, PCGS needs indisputable visual evidence to reverse a call...

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

None of them wore out in circulation. But circulation wear can be duplicated by various means and all of the low ball grades I've seen are appropriately applied. Remembe4r every coin in circulation has a unique path that involves many millions of collisions and various materials and other coins sliding over it in different ways. A coin used for a Saturday poker game for years will acquire the same type of wear as others. It is simply irrelevant and unknowable how any coin got into VF or Poor condition, merely whether or not the resultant wear is "natural".

The heaviest worn quarters in circulation were in G+ condition before they started getting removed by the banks or FED probably around 2008. These laid out at the bottom end of a bell curve. The odds of any quarter being significantly more worn than this were infinitesimal. Ikes don't even circulate so you do the math.

Now days the most heavily worn quarters are in VG. I suspect light coins are being removed but it's possible that they are going after thin ones. It's much easier to remove light coins than thin coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mrs Ike could probably wear down Ike in one good argument.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file