Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will have more value in ten years? Stocks? Coins? Baseball cards? Bitcoin?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Say you have $500,000. To invest today. You have 30 days to purchase and use that total amount. In ten years, will coins be worth more than selected (graded?) baseball cards? Will cards be worth more than stocks? Bitcoin?
I'd start a poll, yet I think it would be more interesting to state why you believe what you do.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Select stocks. I think Bitcoin will be dead in 10 years (I know I am in the minority view), and most mainstream collectibles haven’t been able to keep up with inflation historically.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d invest it in this company https://www.prologis.com/
    Because they are the future of how the supply chain problems will be managed. You heard it here first!

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to answer without knowing upfront which select stocks, coins and cards are to be compared. 20/20 hindsight doesn't count.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Hard to answer without knowing upfront which select stocks, coins and cards are to be compared. 20/20 hindsight doesn't count.

Fair point. Excluding outliers, I think index funds will out perform, on average, collectibles and Bitcoin.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    In just two posts, CAC was mentioned!
    Speedy, Perry!

I was only half kidding but without knowing which coins were being selected, how can you answer this question? The same can be said for a stock portfolio. Perhaps an index fund that follows the S&P 500 would be a good choice for any comparison.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Select stocks. I think Bitcoin will be dead in 10 years (I know I am in the minority view), and most mainstream collectibles haven’t been able to keep up with inflation historically.

This.

You can also compound stock value while the others cannot be compounded.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no crystal ball, but I'll put my mouth where my money is...
    Besides my house, 95 percent of my wealth is in indexed US equities.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Balanced Portfolio of S&P stocks (small, mid' and large) should provide the best overall return somewhere about 10 years from now. And somewhere about 10 years from then, I would suspect that bundle would still be soundly beating the alternatives.

Like @moursund , who I don't tend to agree with too much it seems ;) , I also practice that. Well over 90% of my "cash and equivalent's" (which includes my collectables, PM's and the like) is in equities.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably the Stock Market and Solar Energy might be a good way to go.

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Balanced Portfolio of S&P stocks (small, mid' and large) should provide the best overall return somewhere about 10 years from now. And somewhere about 10 years from then, I would suspect that bundle would still be soundly beating the alternatives.

Like @moursund , who I don't tend to agree with too much it seems ;) , I also practice that. Well over 90% of my "cash and equivalent's" (which includes my collectables, PM's and the like) is in equities.

Let's see how well we agree:
    Picard
    Dogs
    Football
    Pepperoni, mushroom, black olive
    Cider
    West Coast
    Cream and sugar
    Calvin and Hobbes
    Britbox

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocks and bonds. 😇

Ken
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put in $SPY and forget about for however long you can afford to.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

I'd buy a load of near melt value gold and silver coins. I expect the dollar to be worth much less in 10 years(Perhaps totally worthless :/ )

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund

Well, at least you got the pizza, the coast and the comic right ... and maybe the spectator sport too, as long as we are talking College FB!

But sugar? In coffee??! Sacrilege!!

:D:D:D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

The S&P 500 will blow them all way. Maybe.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    @moursund

Well, at least you got the pizza, the coast and the comic right ... and maybe the spectator sport too, as long as we are talking College FB!

But sugar? In coffee??! Sacrilege!!

:D:D:D

Yeah, I mostly like the NFL...

I guess we'll just have to agree that all your taste is in your mouth 😜

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

The stock market annual return usually is between 7% to 10%. Let's assume 7%, in 10 years, your money will be doubled. I am not sure about coins.

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

i would say if you bought a stock market index fund, a coin index fund and a card index fund then no doubt stocks and bitcoin would be the winners with bitcoin leading the pack.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean value or do you mean value after returning to cash? I'd expect extremely low to no transaction costs for stock, low for bitcoin, and high for cards and coins. Everything else being equal, I'd choose stocks.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sticking with VOO, GEVO, DPLS and Tom Brady rookie cards.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball cards will have collapsed by then.
    Cryptocurrencies will have collapsed, been taxed out of existence, or been outlawed by then.
    Stocks are currently overpriced and may not perform very well. Stocks whose valuations are based on sizzle and not fundamentals will do especially badly, just as the dot-com stocks of twenty or so years ago did.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like real estate. It also puts a roof over your head and keeps you warm and dry.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:02AM

CASH

No debt, no worries.
    Give me cash
    Time to learn a skill
    I can arbitrage cash all year long

Cash for the rest of my days, because_ there are some hard times coming._

When they are touting shadowy Bitcoin and its sister options on Sirius radio... Seriously?

You are astute numismatic mavens and have seen values swell on common items?

Can't find employees to work for $18 an hour?

Afraid to sell your house because you make too much money and can't buy a replacement?

Time to sell... raise cash

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diversification

Stocks
    Coins
    Crypto
    Cash

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocks

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Chicken stock. Or bullion.

• Options

Stocks... Because you have unlimited management options and better tax shelter potential.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what about Rabbits, they taste like Chicken??

• Options

@keets said:

Rabbits prefer Warren Buffett, who prefers stock.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect Elmer Fudd to chime in right about now...

Seriously... this is far to speculative as there are no boundaries on what can be bought or sold within a sector that was identified so there really is no viable method of a straight comparison as to which sector would outperform the others.

Pork bellies... I've got a feeling about Pork bellies.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got enough life insurance to take of final etc. Leave everyone a nice little stash. My collection is my collection. What they do with it after is on them. My hope is that more than what seems popular now I will have taught my kids how to judge a good value in real time. They don’t need today’s info as much as they will need to interpret the proper direction in the future.
    Right now they can experiment with their own investments. 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real Estate and gold.... JMO.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    I like real estate. It also puts a roof over your head and keeps you warm and dry.

Agree that your home is a good investment since you aren't paying rent somewhere else and you can build equity. Other than your home that you can live in, other real estate investments require maintenance and up-keep. Also, the government knows about it and makes you pay taxes on it. Also, they can confiscate it if they decide they want to build a highway or a shopping center.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

What, sneakers and vintage video games are not on the list? Surely plastic/rubber-based shoes are the key the financial freedom than gold or silver. B)>:)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Cryptocurrencies will have collapsed, been taxed out of existence, or been outlawed by then.
    Stocks are currently overpriced and may not perform very well. Stocks whose valuations are based on sizzle and not fundamentals will do especially badly, just as the dot-com stocks of twenty or so years ago did.

And why will baseball cards collapse and not coins?

You're basically arguing that nothing is worth buying.

Even if everything went down, something will outperform the others.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

I made no statement in this post about coins.

Finding things that are worth buying is going to difficult.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

If I was guessing I'd 100% go with bitcoin.

That said, I would never put a significant % of my assets in that asset class. Securities for me.

Over a lengthy period of time it's almost assured that coins, baseball cards, and precious metals will be at the bottom as far as returns.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously nobody knows.

I was given the advice once to put 10% of my investments in bullion and pray like crazy that it goes down in value.

Personally, I'm using a wide variety of mutual fund classes for the bulk of my retirement planning. Beyond that, I dabble in coins to have fun and possibly recoup a part of what I put in. I'm also building an opportunity fund to participate in the next real estate downturn. It might take a decade, but that's OK.

Crypto will be regulated and taxed at some point. Politicians won't be able to help themselves. At that point its attractiveness drops quite a bit.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

In ten years, something tells me we will look back with fondness at the current gold price.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2021 7:07AM

@keets said:

I used to catch rattlesnakes on the road coming home on my motorcycle from night shift working underground at a copper mine in AZ, and they taste like crab when cooked in butter. Has absolutely nothing to do with the OP post, but neither does chicken stock posted by @moursund

I vote gold and silver coins, but I have been wrong so far, so don't rely on me for investment advice ;)

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Crypto it is then ;~

• Options

This is where diversity is actually a strength. Put 1/5th into each category based upon know appreciation potentials for each category. The same coins will appreciate as have in the past. The same type stocks will appreciate as have in the past. Either bitcoin or precious metals will appreciate, so gotta hedge either one of them. And finally: Real Estate like farm land is not on the original list, but it is guaranteed to appreciate over the time frame given. As they just aren't making any more of it.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 1:38PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

Nothing is worth buying unless you are dealing and can turn it over quickly. Real Estate, coins, cards, stocks...

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocks would be the safest bet with at least one Bitcoin. But would diversify including bullion, land, and a few nice coins.
    When are you sending me the money?

• Options

@yspsales said:
    When they are touting shadowy Bitcoin and its sister options on Sirius radio... Seriously?

Are you sirius?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

Nothing is worth buying unless you are dealing and can turn it over quickly. Real Estate, coins, cards, stocks...

Ever hear of dividends, rents, tax advantages, and market appreciation? There's no need to turn over anything to realize those benefits.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 1:58PM

@yspsales said:

So you're in the "No Inflation" camp, then. Ok.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file