Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Got my invitation to the New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC) - Jan. 2022

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2021 10:04AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Card came in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to it.

January 13 - 16, 2022 at the InterContinental on East 48th Street.

As a car-less New Yorker, this is in the perfect location. 😜

Who else is planning on making a visit?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am definitely going

Hope the show still is attended by those across the ponds !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to take the LIRR and subway to get there. Normally, not an issue, but these are not normal times. I am leaning towards not going this year.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

I plan on attending on Friday the 14th.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

We will be set up there- Looking forward to seeing many of you!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to it!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get two every year. One for me and one for Linda. I don't know Linda but apparently she lives here too. I wish I could go. Apparently I foolishly agreed to another trip that weekend. Oops.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year will probably leave the family at home and fly in solo for a couple of days.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be there Wednesday to Sunday. Can’t wait!!!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

@Stork said:
    I get two every year. One for me and one for Linda. I don't know Linda but apparently she lives here too. I wish I could go. Apparently I foolishly agreed to another trip that weekend. Oops.

I’m disappointed I won’t see you there this time. You’re one of the highlights for me, as long as you stop hiding my coins trying to give me a heart attack.

@EVillageProwler said:

@Stork said:

I’m disappointed I won’t see you there this time. You’re one of the highlights for me, as long as you stop hiding my coins trying to give me a heart attack.

I had help.

@Stork said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@Stork said:

I had help.

A real Bonnie and Clyde duo...

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask I would contact the dealers you are interested in visiting with from across the pond. At this year's ANA, Künker, Schulman and a few others were denied entry into the U.S. I hope all who attend have a great time. Safe travels.

@MrEureka said:
    I see the bourse closes at 7PM on Friday and Saturday, so happy hour at my table will start at 6.

I will bring the cheese. :)

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone re-evaluating in light of the Omicron variant?

I’m a bit pessimistic at this point that the show will go on. Things seem to be rapidly declining by the day.

Personally, I think I’ll end up staying at home and just bidding in a few auctions online.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone contacted the non U.S. resident dealers if they are attending or even being allowed entrance into the
    U.S. ? A few of the European dealers were denied access in August for the ANA.
    Safe travels.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Has anyone contacted the non U.S. resident dealers if they are attending or even being allowed entrance into the
    U.S. ? A few of the European dealers were denied access in August for the ANA.
    Safe travels.

The dealers I’ve spoken to all say that they will be here if allowed into the country. Your guess is as good as mine if further travel restrictions will be implemented by then.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    edited December 22, 2021 10:29AM

I’ll note that the World Money Fair scheduled for the end of January 2022 in Berlin has been “postponed” due to too many cancellations.

I’ll also note that several doctors have suggested that everyone will eventually catch COVID at some point as it will be endemic.

I guess the biggest concern from the point of view of our international guests is they don’t want to catch it while outside of their home country.

I wonder how NYINC would be without the international dealers?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I’ll note that the World Money Fair scheduled for the end of January 2022 in Berlin has been “postponed” due to too many cancellations.

I’ll also note that several doctors have suggested that everyone will eventually catch COVID at some point as it will be endemic.

I guess the biggest concern from the point of view of our international guests is they don’t want to catch it while outside of their home country.

I wonder how NYINC would be without the international dealers?

Me too, but I'm still going.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@bidask said:

@MrEureka said:
    I see the bourse closes at 7PM on Friday and Saturday, so happy hour at my table will start at 6.

I will bring the cheese. :)

As long as you don't cut the cheese, all will be ok.

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there (assuming the show goes on). I'm giving a talk during the MCA meeting on Saturday, 12pm.
    @philographer, as a car-less New Yorker, you should join the ANS as a member! (if you haven't already—sorry, don't know everyone's name from their handle yet). Just hop on the A-train to Canal St. to view anything you want in our collection.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

just got an email that it is on for next week 😄

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm most likely out, as well, as Canada is imposing new rules on re-entry that includes having a PCR done in US, which means an additional $225 for the rapid test and the hassle to finding locations / getting it done in Manhattan. I'm playing it by ear, though, so if the rules relax I'll be back to going.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm most likely out, as well, as Canada is imposing new rules on re-entry that includes having a PCR done in US, which means an additional $225 for the rapid test and the hassle to finding locations / getting it done in Manhattan. I'm playing it by ear, though, so if the rules relax I'll be back to going.

Last time I walked over to Heritage, they were giving COVID tests on the street (small tented area). I’ve seen this in several places around Manhattan. I’m sure they are the rapid test, but I assumed they were free. (And I’m sure they are a lot busier lately.)

Maybe @Stella knows more?

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Last time I walked over to Heritage, they were giving COVID tests on the street (small tented area). I’ve seen this in several places around Manhattan. I’m sure they are the rapid test, but I assumed they were free. (And I’m sure they are a lot busier lately.)

Maybe @Stella knows more?

Has to be a PCR, not just an antigen test, but worth looking into.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

To be clear, Heritage isn't the one with the tent, but there has indeed been a tent for COVID tests near our office lately. ;)

There are plenty of options for +/- 2 day PCR test results in Midtown NYC if you are willing to pay a premium for the faster turnaround, but I completely understand if someone doesn't want to think about extra steps and travel right now.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Oh boy I can hardly wait 😄

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't bring myself to drive into Manhattan but I hope everyone has a great time. Be safe. Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I had planned to be there on Friday but my boss asked me to cancel in order to perform some testing on a development project. Maybe Saturday?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay

I'm out, as well. Was really looking forward to seeing everyone, but too much risks associated with international flights in and out of Canada and it would be quite unfair to leave my wife along with the "two-under-four menagerie" for longer than a day or two.

I’m out. Got covid, sleeping in the basement with just my coins.

@Boosibri said:

Hopefully with the laptop and a strong WiFi signal.

@TwoKopeiki there was a headline today warning Americanos not to travel to Canada citing a "level 4" warning. I would have thought it reversed and we were in level 4. Strange times we are in. Hopefully we all get through this stronger.

Keep well everyone.

@Boosibri said:

Hope symptoms are mild and you're back up at it in a couple of days.

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki there was a headline today warning Americanos not to travel to Canada citing a "level 4" warning. I would have thought it reversed and we were in level 4. Strange times we are in. Hopefully we all get through this stronger.

Keep well everyone.

Yeah, crazy times. Stay safe.

Sorry you guys cannot attend!

I’m here now in the lobby of the intercontinental drinking coffee😄

Triton auction XXV today !

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

On our way today! Stop by and say hi at Table 801- Look forward to seeing those that can make it!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

I regret saying this but several coins I’m viewing in hand at the CNG auction have been wiped or brushed and toned over

Be careful as most are raw

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been to one of these shows, but would like to go some time. The trouble with this show is that it often conflicts with FUN and also draws dealers away from FUN. I wish that they could move it, but that is impossible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    I have never been to one of these shows, but would like to go some time. The trouble with this show is that it often conflicts with FUN and also draws dealers away from FUN. I wish that they could move it, but that is impossible.

It hasn't conflicted with FUN for 2-3 years, and still doesn't.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@BillJones said:

Having it one week after another limits how much endurance the dealers have. Why you want to schedule a show in the middle of the winter, when a snowstorm could easily ruin it, is beyond me. It must have something to do with the inexpensive off-season rental rates.

Beyond that, I don't know how you can run a show in New York City any more. Many years ago there shows like the Grand Central Show and the New York Metropolitan Show. Both a gone because of high room rates and probably other high overhead costs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@pruebas said:

@BillJones said:

Having it one week after another limits how much endurance the dealers have. Why you want to schedule a show in the middle of the winter, when a snowstorm could easily ruin it, is beyond me. It must have something to do with the inexpensive off-season rental rates.

Beyond that, I don't know how you can run a show in New York City any more. Many years ago there shows like the Grand Central Show and the New York Metropolitan Show. Both a gone because of high room rates and probably other high overhead costs.

So Bill, it's too bad you don't like it, but many dealers do both shows. Some even did both shows when they were the same week! Not sure how many collectors do both, but since I live near NYC, it would be relatively easy for me to do them.

This show used to be held in early December (pre-9/11) at the World Trade Center and I believe the timing was changed because that's was the only availability in NYC on short notice. The show was actually first held at the Waldorf in January 2002, only 4 months post-9/11 on very short notice. The old December dates were before the holiday parties kicked in (mid-late December) and the new January dates were after all the holiday parties were over (after New Year). NYC hotel and ballroom space was always booked with corporate holiday parties throughout most of December back then. Maybe not so much any more. And I am sure cost had something to do with it.

My preference would to be to go back to the early December time since it was always a festive time to be in the City and of course it wasn't so cold.

I think most of the foreign dealers who attend appreciate it being held in NYC because of the numerous activities and dining options. Twenty years ago, one of the auction houses (Renaissance) held their auction across the river in Secaucus and I believe that was a flop.

I'm fairly sure no matter when and where it was held, you would find reason to complain though, right? :'(

@bidask said:

Well after coffee I waited around and got
    “ dealer “ badge early so now that’s out of the way. I’m not a dealer just occasionally set up to sell some of my coins. It’s especially relaxing to do this occasionally from my full time job.
    I consider this a vacation 😊

Soon after I looked at world lots in the Triton Auction happening today . I also attended the auction held in their room with a large screen yet no in person bidding … all on line. I did buy a couple special pieforts .

Here is one :

https://auctions.cngcoins.com/lots/view/4-4H4YSS/low-countries-republic-of-the-seven-netherlands-dutch-republic-utrecht-1581-1795-piedfort-ar-dukaton-46mm-6510-g-12h-dated-1775

After this auction was over I went to the Stacks and Heritage lot viewing rooms .

Looked at great coins all day .
    Sure went by fast !

Nice coin Dan!

Aww, I wish I was there. Next year goals.

edited January 14, 2022 5:41AM

@bidask said:

Well I am having my morning
    ( Friday) coffee again and thought I would write up my thoughts from the show yesterday.

The layout of bourse tables is on the second floor with two main rooms and the rest in nook and crannies .

I’m set up in a nook and my table is between MDC Monnaies de Collection Monaco and SchulmanBV Amsterdam
    At first I thought to myself I’d rather be in one of the larger rooms but then I figured
    not to bad to be sandwiched between these two distinguished dealers !

I thought the traffic of collectors was pretty decent.

I was greatly surprised and happy to see that a very prominent US coin dealer ( I will leave unnamed ) seemed very interested in world coins ….
    We chatted for awhile and I encouraged him and gave him my thoughts on what he might find in the transition…if he continues down the path in world coin collecting/dealing.

My own coins are pretty fresh as I set up only 2-3 times per year.

After looking quickly at what was on the bourse floor I am even more convinced that really scarce and choice coins are not easy anymore to come by.

As a collector I ask myself what good is it to make maybe 5, 10, 15 or 20 % profit on a coin when is is so difficult to replace.

My answer to myself is I don’t sell what I really like and difficult to replace.

I am more focused on choice gem original skin classic crowns of the world ( besides my core collection cap & rays 8 reales )

I still have nice coins I have held over a period of 7-10 years or longer. Cannot replace them and not ready to sell into the next generation of collectors …. yet 😊!

So the coins I did bring to sell while all are nice are for the most part duplicates from my core collection or coins I liked but ok to sell to focus more on buying tough choice crowns …. mostly.

Also sold bunch of modern gold at spot plus depending….

One of my highlights yesterday was speaking with 3 younger collectors
    two of which were from the Dominican Republic and the other from Panama .

I had a really nice 1891 A Dominican crown NGC 64 Issac Rudman provenance.

Well, lo and behold these 3 young men were personal friends with Isaac himself who also lives in the Dominican Republic .
    One of them was a young attorney who really wanted this coin . I can see why …

So he calls up Issac and hands me the phone !!! We spoke about this coin and Issac asked me to give him a great deal 😄

So I did ……maybe made a hundred bucks …😄
    The energy from these guys got me jazzed up ….

Seems special coins I like these days are found in auctions only unless one has a relationship with a dealer to help source these kind of coins.

I did do some selling mostly to dealers enough to cover purchases from the CNG auction and then some !

I will later show some pics of newps…. I did find.

Today I’m going to PCGS and NGC booth to entomb some raw coins and attend Stacks auction this evening . Other than that I’m selling coins at very fair prices as it’s just a hobby for me .

@bidask i know at least one of the guys you are talking about. While younger than the average, they are very knowledgeable and well heeled.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 8:02AM

Great report!
    I wish I was at the show.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.