Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1969s ddo proof cent error and value

Hello I currently have a 1969s ddo proof cent and I cannot find another one anywhere check the pics the back half of Lincolns is missing and there is clear doubling in date and extra y in liberty I am definitely interested in selling it but don't know what the value is tia for any help

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skallday .... Welcome aboard. That cent is not a DDO...the date has machine doubling... picture of the head is difficult to determine, but looks like grease filled die or damage. The extra Y looks like transfer PMD. No numismatic premium for that cent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is not a doubled die. You should study the minting process so you will know what is and is not die doubling. Also, your post is difficult to read due to your run on sentences and complete lack of punctuation.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common ejection or mechanical doubling on a proof coin – no added value whatsoever

Sorry

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    Your coin is not a doubled die. You should study the minting process so you will know what is and is not die doubling. Also, your post is difficult to read due to your run on sentences and complete lack of punctuation.

Cut the new person some slack. The person is clearly new and looking for advice regarding numismatics. I am certain the person is not looking for grammatical advice from you or anyone else. Additionally, rather than telling the person "you should study the minting process...", consider pointing out to the person where to find that literature.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

While their are numerous books on the U.S. Coin Minting process, here are a couple of video pages showing the process, not as good as a book, but free and gives an insight into the process.
    Good luck. Regardless of the machine doubling, a very interesting coin with 2 processes that have occurred to provide targets to study and learn. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzwbXt-UA4k
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=U.S.+Coin+Minting+process+book&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzwbXt-UA4k

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @skallday .... Welcome aboard. That cent is not a DDO...the date has machine doubling... picture of the head is difficult to determine, but looks like grease filled die or damage. The extra Y looks like transfer PMD. No numismatic premium for that cent. Cheers, RickO

What do you mean by transfer PMD? And with that imply that the extra Y is depressed rather than raised on the surface?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see the reverse of the coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 9:16AM

I’m gunna guess the “y” is an illusion. Looks cool but it’s just random stuff that lined up creating said illusion. Now the back of Lincolns head is disturbing ( due to historical reference) and unusual,to me. All around a spooky set of circumstances 🤔
    Ah , where are my manners. Welcome 🙏. Some pictures of both sides would be nice. Agree with opinions about doubling. It takes a while to get the hang of spotting it. Keep searching and come on back. Also your picture is ok practicing a little has helped me become ok with an iPhone 7.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it is just a very common date proof cent with very little value and no doubling that would bring any premium.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 2:53PM

@Rampage said:

@MarkKelley said:

Cut the new person some slack. The person is clearly new and looking for advice regarding numismatics. I am certain the person is not looking for grammatical advice from you or anyone else. Additionally, rather than telling the person "you should study the minting process...", consider pointing out to the person where to find that literature.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome To The Forum

That coin is discussed here on the forum quite often. Thanks for sharing yours.
    Post often and have FUN! -Joey :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a doubled die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file