Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fedex fiasco news

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read the press release on the discovery of 300-400 Fedex packages found dumped off a road in the south. Wonder if there's any coins in that mess. Were all the parcels on the same truck? Hopefully more is revealed. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 10:43AM

I don't think this is it but you get the idea..........

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, that be da place. Good ole Alabamy.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chattanooga news interviewed Sheriff. He and his were guarding the packages while FedEx employees were recovering them.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume that all of the packages were opened and looted?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Then why not toss empty packages in the garbage?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, the cops were guarding them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:

They would still want to identify the parcels to understand who send them, what was in them and where they were going.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

They should be able to see who's truck they were assigned to maybe the driver was up against a time limit and had a dump off site, looks like it was used often. Now you know why it takes so long to get packages delivered to a PO Box, Not.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

The news broadcast I saw of the event was much larger and the announcer said that FedEx was sending trucks from many locations to help with the clean up of packages. Must have been many. Doesn't make the least bit of sense, if not opened.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:

They would still want to identify the parcels to understand who send them, what was in them and where they were going.

What I meant is if stolen/looted, why would the thieves have left the evidence in the ravine instead of putting it in the garbage where no one would think anything of it?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're going to tell us the door wasn't properly latched and the packages fell out on a sharp turn. Just an accident, nothing to worry about.

BTW, it took three times going around it to empty the truck.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could have been an inside job where somebody knew that a certain high-value package was going to be on a certain truck in a certain location on a certain day?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2021 7:49PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/8776541002

So you scan them delivered and toss them in bulk … do something else or simply make your numbers

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't the only ones with problems:

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@pmh1nic said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:

What I meant is if stolen/looted, why would the thieves have left the evidence in the ravine instead of putting it in the garbage where no one would think anything of it?

Those packages have been handled by numerous people. I seriously doubt there is any usable evidence on them. In addition that’s a lot of packaging to dispose of. Getting rid of it would constitute work :).

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Reading between the lines of the news story, fedex is picking up packages not packaging and treat them right from here on out

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Just read the press release on the discovery of 300-400 Fedex packages found dumped off a road in the south. Wonder if there's any coins in that mess. Were all the parcels on the same truck? Hopefully more is revealed. Peace Roy

Just talked with a FedEx delivery driver tonight. He worked 6:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. yesterday. He told me one of their local drivers (contract) abandoned a truck with ~150 packages on board. The driver didn't dump them, simply parked the truck and walked off!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the picture, it 'appears' most have been opened... maybe some damaged in dumping I guess.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@pmh1nic said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:

maybe because they are low IQ?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@Namvet69 said:

Just talked with a FedEx delivery driver tonight. He worked 6:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. yesterday. He told me one of their local drivers (contract) abandoned a truck with ~150 packages on board. The driver didn't dump them, simply parked the truck and walked off!

Presumably now he is an ExFedEx driver

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you guys always think the worst?
    could it perhaps just have been an accident involving a FedEx vehicle?
    why does it always have to be the worst, like theft or other criminal activities ??? etc...>
    None of you knows any details. right? But you all know what "should have been" or how it should have been handled....
    somebody might have only spread a rumor?? for whatever reason
    I rest my case.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of an episode, many years back, when as a “circulation manager” for a local newspaper and I got a call that several dozen bundles of special edition papers were found piled up in the woods, wet and very much outdated. As it turns out, little Tony wasn’t so fond of his extra responsibilities in the delivery of those Friday editions.

Not saying that’s what happened here, but clearly this appears a little more suspicious than packages piling up in an overloaded warehouse.
    Systems are very strained and breaking down more often than a few years ago when little Tony decided to take some extra Fridays off.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Why do you guys always think the worst?
    could it perhaps just have been an accident involving a FedEx vehicle?
    why does it always have to be the worst, like theft or other criminal activities ??? etc...>
    None of you knows any details. right? But you all know what "should have been" or how it should have been handled....
    somebody might have only spread a rumor?? for whatever reason
    I rest my case.

I'm not sure you have a case... You are now speculating as much as anyone else 😜

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2021 3:54PM

@nwcoast said:
    Reminds me of an episode, many years back, when as a “circulation manager” for a local newspaper and I got a call that several dozen bundles of special edition papers were found piled up in the woods, wet and very much outdated. As it turns out, little Tony wasn’t so fond of his extra responsibilities in the delivery of those Friday editions.

Not saying that’s what happened here, but clearly this appears a little more suspicious than packages piling up in an overloaded warehouse.
    Systems are very strained and breaking down more often than a few years ago when little Tony decided to take some extra Fridays off.

When I had a paper route, I am embarrassed to say that I was a guy who dumped circulars. Not my finest moments.

Edited to say: this was roughly 45 years ago. Probably past the statute of limitations.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

THIS was about 42 years ago….
    Tony? That you? ;-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I've been expecting a package from FedEx for a few weeks now. I suppose it is possible to be in that stash. :neutral:

• Options

@nwcoast said:
    THIS was about 42 years ago….
    Tony? That you? ;-)

You got me... I turned state's evidence against some other paperboys, and went into witness protection under a new name.

• Options

@BryceM said:

I’m curious of the back story on the first photo. Did someone “go postal?”

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@BryceM said:

I’m curious of the back story on the first photo. Did someone “go postal?”

Post-Apocalypse.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I had a paper route, I am embarrassed to say that I was a guy who dumped circulars.

we had an incident like that when I was a carrier in the late 1960's. some boys several stops after mine had been putting all their extra-sections into the storm sewer by their drop-off point. one day the City cleaned out the sewers: busted!!! the District Manager made the rounds that afternoon to check everyone and he was pretty PO'd, but we were all OK.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read an article this morning that an arrest had been made in this case and the driver had confessed.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 7:14AM

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see stuff like this happening, it makes me put things in perspective when I get very annoyed because my priority mail envelope with a recent auction win is arriving a day or two late.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what looks like cat food, the stuff my wife orders for HER cat. The shift in buying habits has radically changed how goods move. The hours that each of us spent shopping and traveling to and from the stores have been shifted in part to warehouse processors and local deliverers. The adjustment will take time and capital.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file