Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 9:50AM

Terrible news!

http://numismaticcrimes.org/2021/11/23/alert-stolen-dealer-baltimore-show/

Dealer Jason Xie has reported the following items stolen while attending the recent Baltimore show.

Items Taken:
    1. Rolex watch: See paper $17000
    2. Coin: 1898 China Fengiten PCGS AU55, Cert# 38869382. $22K
    3. Coin, 1927 China Memento Dollar PCGS MS65, $5000
    4. Coin, 1820-1841 Annam Min Mang Gold 3 Tien. $5500
    5. 5 pieces of early date of British Trade Dollar $1200
    6. 22 pieces of Mexican Peso and 8 Reals $1380
    7. One pieces of 1903 China Tibet rupe $520
    8. 6 pieces of 1914 China Yuan Shih Kai Dollar $1200
    9. 10 Pieces of 1912 China Tibet Tangka $600.
    10. 6 Pieces of NGC graded Mexican 8 Reals and British Trade Dollar $3600.
    11. One LV bag $500.

Anyone with information contact:
    Doug Davis
    Doug@numismaticcrimes.org
    817-723-7231

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 12:27PM

After returning home from the recent Baltimore show Delaware Valley Rare Coins
    has reported several coins missing/stolen.
    Missing/Stolen
    CERT: 1899 Proof $2.50 Lib NGC PR60CAM 565383-004
    1897 $2.50 Lib NGC MS65 CAC 6103021-001
    1911 $2.50 Ind NGC MS64 CAC 5970995-003
    1911-D $2.50 Ind PCGS AU58 43715307
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

As one lady coin dealer told me, if you hear a gunshot drop to the ground as there is a lot of "hardware" on the bourse floor!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really sad. How did so many coins get taken without the dealer knowing?? Must be some further information.... Away from table or something like that. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is really sad. How did so many coins get taken without the dealer knowing?? Must be some further information.... Away from table or something like that. Cheers, RickO

The Rolex watch is interesting. I have not seen many of those for sale at coin shows.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 12:24PM

@MsMorrisine said:

After returning home from the recent Baltimore show Delaware Valley Rare Coins
    has reported several coins missing/stolen.

Missing/Stolen
    CERT: 1899 Proof $2.50 Lib NGC PR60CAM 565383-004
    1897 $2.50 Lib NGC MS65 CAC 6103021-001
    1911 $2.50 Ind NGC MS64 CAC 5970995-003
    1911-D $2.50 Ind PCGS AU58 43715307
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

This is really interesting that the coins were discovered missing only after returning home.

I wonder if PCGS could come up with a system to auto RFID scan everything in a box or case for inventory checking.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 12:34PM

@coinkat said:
    As sad as it is to read this, it seems that the title of the thread should change to Thefts associated with the Baltimore Coin Show

Is it confirmed that Jason Xie wasn't robbed? It seems a bit ambiguous.

Delaware Valley Rare Coins sounds like theft, but if we don't leave anything to chance, it seems like the coins could also have been misplaced.

Hopefully they are reviewing the Baltimore security footage to identify thefts and thieves.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    As sad as it is to read this, it seems that the title of the thread should change to Thefts associated with the Baltimore Coin Show

I agree, which is why I posted “Fortunately, it appears that these were thefts, not robberies, as apparently, there was no force or threat of force involved.” Perhaps I was too subtle.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld

I agree with you which is why I added my comment

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 12:40PM

@Zoins said:

This coin is interesting as it's listed at $22k but the PCGS Price Guide is $7k. What is the general approach for assigning value? Insurance value?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Fortunately, it appears that these were thefts, not robberies, as apparently, there was no force or threat of force involved.

That's the only good thing anyone can say about it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

This coin is interesting as it's listed at $22k but the PCGS Price Guide is $7k. What is the general approach for assigning value? Insurance value?

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-T1JZ4/t-china-fengtien-7-mace-2-candareens-dollar-year-24-1898-pcgs-genuine-cleaned-au-details

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:
    2. Coin: 1898 China Fengtien PCGS AU55, Cert# 38869382. $22K

and I read right over it several times.

FengTien not FengIten

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 1:01PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-T1JZ4/t-china-fengtien-7-mace-2-candareens-dollar-year-24-1898-pcgs-genuine-cleaned-au-details

That's certainly closer at $18k but those aren't the same coin. I am curious how value is assessed, but no need to discuss further in this thread.

Missing coin: PCGS AU55

Stack's coin: PCGS AU Details - Cleaned

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

the> @logger7 said:

Baltimore gets enough bad press on it's own...most deservedly so but your thread title is misleading and should be changed to Dealers report coins and items as Missing/Stolen as stated in the articles.😎

Your title suggests violence and that they were robbed by thugs which is misleading until we get the full story. 🤔

We want members to attend next year's show not to be afraid to attend.😎

Thank you!

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Baltimore can be a rough area. If I go, I try to be gone before the sun goes down.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

I am writing about a stolen coin for my realistic fiction essay... Maybe I jinxed it? :o

Young Numismatist

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinandcurrency242 said:
    Baltimore can be a rough area. If I go, I try to be gone before the sun goes down.

A lot of cities are rough these days.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

That is the truth!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

@Smudge said:

Income distribution isn’t helping.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold... I see them frequently at gun shows... Seems there is a secondary market out there... Mostly collectors I think...Might be someone just wants a Rolex and finding a bargain. Never interested me. I have a gold Omega Seamaster I got many years ago....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears the theft happened inside the show and the city has nothing to do with it. Not sure how that has become part of it.

• Options

Also not a good idea to go down the “problems with” when the topic isn’t coins

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    It appears the theft happened inside the show and the city has nothing to do with it. Not sure how that has become part of it.

Uh....the title of the thread is the reason which is exactly why I asked for the thread title to be changed by the OP.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is significantly less in price and might better withstand the rough neighborhoods and browse floor “hardware!”

Go Seals!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not get caught up in semantics. There are tens of thousands of dollars worth of coins stolen. It doesn’t matter how the thieves came into possession of them.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I updated the title, I hope that is better. Doug Davis sent out two emails today on the same topic.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I updated the title, I hope that is better. Doug Davis sent out two emails today on the same topic.

Thank you! Much better.😎

• Options

@SIowhand said:
    Let’s not get caught up in semantics. There are tens of thousands of dollars worth of coins stolen. It doesn’t matter how the thieves came into possession of them.

Semantics create perceptions and perceptions are considered reality by many of us😉

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the bottom of the list is a Louis Vuitton bag listed so the items were in a large bag when stolen. IMO. Sure hope the surveillance video is helpful. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

It is not uncommon for dealers to also sell luxury items

I would not assume they were inside. I would not assume they weren’t.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very sad to hear about this but not surprising in, what has become, the era of the 'Smash and Grab'. Better start getting some armed security or every dealer get a CCW card.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    As one lady coin dealer told me, if you hear a gunshot drop to the ground as there is a lot of "hardware" on the bourse floor!

You ain’t kidding.

@ricko said:
    I have a gold Omega Seamaster I got many years ago....Cheers, RickO

Classy.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank God it was a "theft" and not a "robbery" - I'm sure the guy feels much better now.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

Shooting is a difficult discipline that needs regular practice to be effective. I shoot a few thousand rounds a year. I’m sure RickO can boast bigger numbers. Would all the CCW dealers be as proactive in practicing? I think not.

That is why I prefer a relatively idiot proof break-action 20 gauge shotgun ….. though I imagine it would be frowned upon on the bourse. 🤓

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Im surprised this doesnt happen more often. Security at shows is so lax. Im surprised it hasnt happened on a major scale yet.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do any dealers here think about setting up their own personal recording devices at shows? They are not that expensive now and can be well worth the few hundred dollars if that to add extra security to their inventory.
    They can also put a sign up that says something like "if you are at this table, you are being recorded" to try and deter possible thefts.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    Do any dealers here think about setting up their own personal recording devices at shows? They are not that expensive now and can be well worth the few hundred dollars if that to add extra security to their inventory.
    They can also put a sign up that says something like "if you are at this table, you are being recorded" to try and deter possible thefts.

I have seen those at tables before, so….yes.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@logger7 said:

You ain’t kidding.

Three times over the years a weapon has been discharged at coin shows where I have had a table. Each time it has been a dealer mishandling his own firearm or one that was being shown to him. Thankfully no one was harmed in any of the incidents (but one slug ended up buried in a wood bourse table top too close for comfort. I let my thoughts be known to all.)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

A whole lotta countries too. Natural selection taking good care of this one. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@logger7 said:

You ain’t kidding.

Three times over the years a weapon has been discharged at coin shows where I have had a table. Each time it has been a dealer mishandling his own firearm or one that was being shown to him. Thankfully no one was harmed in any of the incidents (but one slug ended up buried in a wood bourse table top too close for comfort. I let my thoughts be known to all.)

You have witnessed three accidental discharges? That is incredible. Unlucky.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

@tokenpro said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@logger7 said:

You ain’t kidding.

I've been to hundreds of shows and I've never seen an accidental discharge of a firearm.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@SIowhand said:

@tokenpro said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@logger7 said:

You ain’t kidding.

I've been to hundreds of shows and I've never seen an accidental discharge of a firearm.

Are you around dealers handling their own firearms or one being shown to him? Those were all the instances @tokenpro relayed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file