Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 1795 Half...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone, I normally don't post on active auctions, but I've been looking at a lot of Early Halves for a Type Set and came across this one. Actually, the seller has 3 Flowing Hair Halves... I'm not well versed in this issue so I'm inclined to defer to the more knowledgeable on the Forum. Is there anything that looks "odd" to you? ...other than they look like Fine or better details and they haven't been slabbed?

Here's one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265419866590

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's genuine. There's something kind of grainy about the surfaces -- easy to see on the date and LIBERTY -- and those inscriptions don't look worn at all, just manufactured like that. Pass.

mirabela
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The linked coin is roughly similar to the diagnostics of 1795 O.119/T-1. It could be a cast fake, or is at least heavily repaired - reverse under C in AMERICA, berry above C is re-engraved and out of place. Rim is wrong under AMERICA.

The 1794 from the seller is an outright fake, does not match any 1794 half dollar. Probably cast (look at S1-S8) from a 1795 host. Should be reported.

The third FH half from this seller is also roughly similar to 1795 O.119/T-1. Berry under C is also out of place.

All fakes.

Save yourself from misery and buy early halves in a top tier TPG slab. Also, get Steve Tompkin's book.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

The seller's 1794 FH (listed as 1795) is cast from a 1795 O.119/T-1 host coin, with the date altered.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fake to me.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought is that you should not be buying raw coins...

• Options

Thanks for weighing in... I've contacted the seller over the 1794 (listed as a '95). Even to my relatively untrained eye, the date looked suspect, along with the surfaces on the other two.

...and yes, I'm ONLY going to BUY this issue in reputable TPG plastic when I do. Looking at lots of coins, images of coins (MS to P01, certified/raw, damaged/pristine, etc), is part of my process. ;-)

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

Looks a little funky.

• Options

Thanks for posting this, I think you knew they were wrong and just needed verification.

Big money being bid, I did not report to eBay yet but the auctions need to end. All three FH halves from the seller are fakes and likely came from the same host coin. I did report to an agency and will follow-up with them Monday.

• Options

Looks like they're gone... thanks!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you like mine?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof, it went unsold 🙂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing has been terminated... looks like by the seller. Good catch and thanks for listing the PUP's... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why you post a picture with a shadow running across the obverse of a piece you are hoping will sell for several hundred dollars? Bad photography is the stock and trade for those who sell counterfeits on the internet. When the picture is bad, don’t even think about bidding.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Nysoto said:
    Thanks for posting this, I think you knew they were wrong and just needed verification.

Big money being bid, I did not report to eBay yet but the auctions need to end. All three FH halves from the seller are fakes and likely came from the same host coin. I did report to an agency and will follow-up with them Monday.

Exactly, on both counts. By saying "not well versed in this issue" I meant to the extent I'd put someone else's credibility on the line (the seller). I know there's a brain-trust on this forum that could likely determine the Overton variety right away on the 1795's, but it was the attempt at a '94 that really raised an eyebrow and cast aspersions on the other two coins. And yes, part of my calculus was that all three auctions had substantial bids, and there was still 3 days left.

BTW... the seller never responded to my question about a guarantee of authenticity... go figure... :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file