Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 11 (1889-CC - 1890-CC)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 24, 2021 6:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Alright, now we are getting into some tough coins. Starting off with the 89-CC, the second most expensive date in most grades. They aren’t particularly hard to find as the value makes any example suitable for a major auction and there are a lot of pleasing mid-grade examples. People have taken good care of them over the years. When I bought this coin about 7 years ago I was committing to the full set. It was my first circulated Morgan and my first key date purchase (I had the 81-CC and 85-CC, which have low mintages but are readily available).
I have a few key dates at this grade level. It is much easier to find a wholesome VF than XF or AU. The overwhelming majority of the latter have been cleaned and look like it. Many VFs have been cleaned too, obviously, but years of circulation often take the sting out of an old wipe. Also, no one is going to try to pass these off as Unc like they might a buffed AU.

1889-CC VF30

The 1889-O is a very tough date in PL with only about 100 examples. Far tougher than most other O mints but nowhere near the 86-O or 96-O so it kind of gets lost. In a 100-coin set there are a lot of coins like that.

1889-O MS63PL CAC

Given how common the early S mint coins are it’s surprising to realize that almost every one after 1882 is actually a tough date (1890, 1897, and 1921 aren’t too bad) but most were still well-made with great strikes and luster when you can find them. This coin may not be for everyone but I love the look. It has booming luster and a semi-PL obverse. The toning is 1000% original and looks like your Grandma’s old silver. I don’t have anything else like it.

1889-S MS65 CAC

The 1890 is fairly common but gets pricey in gem and especially so with mirrors. This one is very clean although not the deepest of DMPLs.

1890 MS64DPL

The 1890-CC is probably the easiest of the late CCs for which to locate nicely mirrored examples. It is actually more common in DMPL than in PL. This one has unusually good contrast and depth which are rarely encountered after 1885. Fun fact: this coin is not in my registry because it is not listed in the PCGS database as DMPL despite the label and being obviously so at a glance. Perhaps if I do send it back it will get the plus it deserves.

1890-CC MS63DMPL CAC

Let’s see some of your 1889-1890 Morgans or feel free to post your thoughts/comments.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! My wife keeps bidding on 1895, but keeps getting blown away by much larger bids. She hangs in there for a while….

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1889-O needs to visit the manicurist (see CAC sticker) 😉

Another fun read. Thanks.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that 1890 CC!!
    Thanks for sharing - awesome coins!

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

That 89 CC is a BEAUTY! Mine is not close to that but I do really like it

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    Nice! My wife keeps bidding on 1895, but keeps getting blown away by much larger bids. She hangs in there for a while….

Is she doing that for her collection or yours? Either way, that’s a big coin and she sounds like a keeper!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins once again. Like the 1890 CC.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice coins once again. Like the 1890 CC.

Thanks! I know you’ve been waiting to see that one since the beginning.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice '89-CC. Similar to the one that I have.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great pictures and details... That 1890CC is a beauty.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Really nice '89-CC. Similar to the one that I have.

Very nice coin! They look like twins with similar color too. The surfaces on yours may even be a bit cleaner than mine.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to the next installment(s).
    Nice pictures of some really great coins.
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, I've viewed & looked forward to all your Morgan collection posts. Can't wait to see your next group of the key dates. Awesome collection.

You're in another league compared to my collection but thought I'd share my MS62 89-O and VF25 89CC. I was very lucky to win these on EBAY 15 years ago.

The big scratch on the 89-O is on the slab. Unfortunately the mark on lower obverse keeps this from a 63 or even 64. Can't capture the true colors, has nice magenta, green and orange toning and nice luster underneath. Can see faint mint bag marks on Lady Liberty.

I believe the 89CC, which I've posted before, is original and believe never messed with.
    Enjoy.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your collection is top notch and look forward to the next group. B)

Here are two of mine from my complete Registry Set here on PCGS

1889-O MS64

1890-CC MS63+ CAC (Pic from before being sent to CAC)

• Options
    edited November 24, 2021 5:22PM

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Thanks for sharing, I've viewed & looked forward to all your Morgan collection posts. Can't wait to see your next group of the key dates. Awesome collection.

You're in another league compared to my collection but thought I'd share my MS62 89-O and VF25 89CC. I was very lucky to win these on EBAY 15 years ago.

The big scratch on the 89-O is on the slab. Unfortunately the mark on lower obverse keeps this from a 63 or even 64. Can't capture the true colors, has nice magenta, green and orange toning and nice luster underneath. Can see faint mint bag marks on Lady Liberty.

I believe the 89CC, which I've posted before, is original and believe never messed with.
    Enjoy.

Thanks very much for the kind words. You have some very nice coins as well there. That 89-O is hammered.

@LeeBone if you have a complete set you should start your own series. That 89-O has really strong luster. I’d love to see some of your other highlights. I hope you will show them in the next 10 installments (or feel free to post pics to the previous 10).

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭

Always look forward to your posts! Awesome!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone if you have a complete set you should start your own series. That 89-O has really strong luster. I’d love to see some of your other highlights. I hope you will show them in the next 10 installments (or feel free to post pics to the previous 10).

Thanks, I may just do that. I have good pics of some of my Morgans but others not so much.
    I may ask a friend of mine to image all of them so the pics match with his awesome photo skills.
    Then I may just do my own installments as you have.
    :)

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

The 90-CC does not show up as dmpl because the wrong coin number was put on the slab, it should have a "9" in front of it to indicate dmpl. If it matters to you, PCGS could likely correct it very easily.
    Anyways, nice coins, from another Morgan pl/dmpl guy.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options

@LeeBone said:

Thanks, I may just do that. I have good pics of some of my Morgans but others not so much.
    I may ask a friend of mine to image all of them so the pics match with his awesome photo skills.
    Then I may just do my own installments as you have.
    :)

That would be awesome! I’d love to hear other’s thoughts on collecting the series. I have a lot of coin friends that are into toners but I haven’t talked to anyone else about the intricacies and challenges of a complete Morgan set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file