Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting cert number: does it affect the value?

I saw this on Ebay. I noticed the certification number was only 1s and 2s. Not that I would want to buy it, but does it make the coin worth more?

Young Numismatist

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe to some people, but not to most.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

no

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s interesting but not worth a premium for me. Now if it was all one number like 1111111 or if it somehow miraculously started with a 0 and was my birthday it would be worth a bit more for fun.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, I bought a common date AU50 Liberty half eagle in an old small ANACS slab. The eBay seller hyped the serial number which was 666666 in his listing. I won it at a price that a regular AU50 half eagle would have sold for. The serial number was why I bought it. You could say that "The devil made me do it." as Flip Wilson would say in his comedy routines. In this case, the unusual serial number added no value to the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

When i was in the military, there seemed to be a game where people would compare 1$ bills, and make a poker hand out of the digits in the serial number. The winner got to keep both bills. Not sure what, if anything, kept Joe Shmoe from carrying around the bill with the 'best possible' numbers...

ANYWAY, if you played that game with your collector friends, comparing cert numbers, winner take both...
    (well, makes more sense than playing chicken for pink slips, anyway...)

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    When i was in the military, there seemed to be a game where people would compare 1$ bills, and make a poker hand out of the digits in the serial number. The winner got to keep both bills. Not sure what, if anything, kept Joe Shmoe from carrying around the bill with the 'best possible' numbers...

ANYWAY, if you played that game with your collector friends, comparing cert numbers, winner take both...

Liar’s Poker
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar's_poker

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I think there could be a slight premium for the cert number to someone that likes something like this. I’d speculate no more than $5-$10 over the typical market price for the coin.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@moursund said:

Liar’s Poker
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar's_poker

Yah, all starting to come back to me. I used to play a similar game with my kids, comparing the lucky lotto numbers on the backs of our fortune cookie fortunes. Winner get's both cookies...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen others listed with reverse repeating numbers such as, 224434422 that they were asking huge prices for, but do not know whether they received them or not.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    I have seen others listed with reverse repeating numbers such as, 224434422 that they were asking huge prices for, but do not know whether they received them or not.
    Jim

That's called a radar number.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't matter enough to make the related 1923 Peace dollar into a $75 coin.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

My cell phone number ends in 666

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 7:13PM

@Herb_T said:
    My cell phone number ends in 666

:o>:)

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

If you play liars poker with slab cert numbers and deuces are wild, this is a great slab.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No added value IMO... If it were also a 1921 Peace Dollar, some collectors might find it unique. I really do not have interest in labels or holders... Just the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't pay extra, but a fun item

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    It’s interesting but not worth a premium for me. Now if it was all one number like 1111111 or if it somehow miraculously started with a 0 and was my birthday it would be worth a bit more for fun.

How about these ? :)
    CERT VERIFICATION #01111111
    PCGS Coin Information
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS # 7130
    Date, mintmark 1881-S
    Denomination $1
    Region The United States of America
    Grade MS64
    Mintage 12,760,000
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 110,964
    Pop Higher 79,977
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value $155 ▼
    CERT VERIFICATION #02222222
    PCGS Coin Information
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS # 7855
    Date, mintmark 1903
    Denomination $2.50
    Grade AU58
    Mintage 201,060
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 323
    Pop Higher 6,137
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value $600 ▲

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope for me.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest whatsoever.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@TurtleCat said:

How about these ? :)
    CERT VERIFICATION #01111111
    PCGS Coin Information

PCGS # 7130
    Date, mintmark 1881-S
    Denomination $1
    Grade MS64
    Mintage 12,760,000
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 110,964
    Pop Higher 79,977
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value $155 ▼
    CERT VERIFICATION #02222222
    PCGS Coin Information

PCGS # 7855
    Date, mintmark 1903
    Denomination $2.50
    Grade AU58
    Mintage 201,060
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 323
    Pop Higher 6,137
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value $600 ▲

If that quarter eagle looked great then I'd be tempted. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2021 8:10AM

It’s interesting but does not appear to have any recognizable pattern to me, so I’d say interesting but no premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file