Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pick Two!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2021 2:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, I was sifting through my collection. Once again, Lol. Sorry, I enjoy it sometimes. Oh well. There were two raw coins that really caught my attention. For a couple of reasons.
Please "Pick Two" of any raw coins in your collection with a short explanation as to why you like them. Thanks ;)
Here are my two;

1st coin 1944p Mercury

Reasons- First of all, the Tone is sick! On both sides.
The strike is very clean too. Very inexpensive to possess in my collection. Then, of course the history of the Mercury Dime.

2nd coin 1891cc Morgan

Reasons- Sure, I certainly do realize this coin is a problem coin in a few ways! The main reason I love this coin is because although it has issues. I picked it up from a junk silver tray. Yes, only $25! I couldn't believe it was in a junk silver tray. I love the patina appearance. Despite the dings and hits, the strike is pretty good. Then lastly, just like my Mercury. The history of the Carson City Morgan Dollar is amazing.
Then to have one in my collection for such a small price, goes without saying.
Mintage: 1,618,000
Thanks guys. Can I see two of your raw picks with your stories? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys, I was sifting through my collection. Once again, Lol. Sorry, I enjoy it sometimes.

Why apologize? Isn't that what collections are for?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins @JoeyCoins ... Two of my favorites..... I will dig out a couple of my favorite raw coins later. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple I got recently from a seller "Tipsico coin" on ebay. I asked if I could use his photos, great seller a pleasure to work with.

1946 D Jefferson nickel
    I bought this one because I love the color. Something about toned nickel really appeals to my eye. Love how the colors change in the light.

Also bought an 1824 Capped bust half. Has a scratch on it but it's the first CBH I've ever bought. Neat piece of history and pretty in my opinion. Sometimes just the fact that a coin is this old makes me feel like I'm able to make history tangible.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2021 10:03AM

@WAYNEAS said:
    A gift to my wife on her 31st birthday.

>
    >
    Special to me as it was given to my mom the day she was born.

Wayne

What awesome gifts!
    GOLD BABY!
    That certainly beats a newborn Silver Eagle gift. :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin all

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two 1840 New Orleans minted halves.

I liked them because they filled Dansco holes with original coins and I was able to purchase them for a decent price raw off eBay. The 1840-(O) "Medium Letters" WB-4 (R3) is a really cool coin "mule", pairing the mintmark-free reverse of a 1839-O reeded bust half with an 1840 SLH obverse, and this coin had a nice circulated cameo appearance.

The 1840-O WB-11, 146 reeds (R6) is cool because: 1) it has small hunks of iron visible on the obverse and reverse, a characteristic of many coins for that date because of iron contamination in the silver bullion. 2) It's an early die state with no die breaks and 146 reeds, the later die state coins have a conspicuous, bisecting, reverse die break and 145 reeds. 3) It has a character state that hasn't been described for the coin yet (Liberty's midrift above shield on obverse is well struck as opposed to poorly struck). And 4), it's a fairly nice looking midgrade R6! This coin was fun to id because it doesn't look at all like the coin illustrated in the book. One has to carefully read Mr. Bugert's notes to deduce that the coin must be an EDS, and the best way to confirm this is to count the reeds. Two reed countings confirmed the identification.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Two 1840 New Orleans minted halves.

The history that goes with those coins must be equally impressive.

Incredible to learn that the first postage stamp in the world was issued in 1840. (The Penny Black by Britain)
    Also the first known photo of Niagra Falls was taken in 1840. (A daguerreotype)
    The same year the world's first commercial photography Portrait Studio opened. (On Broadway in Manhattan)

Other notables:
    Antarctica was established as a continent.
    New Zealand was declared a British Colony.
    Johnny Appleseed met Abraham Lincoln and apple trees are planted in New York.
    Both Rodin and Monet were born.

• Options

Beautiful coins guys!
    Since you brought back my old thread.
    Here are

Two Picks

I recently picked up.

2011 Libertad BU

2018 PF. 69 Ultra Cameo

Love these darn babies! <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file