Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone made a metal test of the 1 cent 1989?

Hi all,

Did anyone made a metal test of the 1 cent 1989 - for the actual proportions in % of the coper and zinc in 1 cent 1989 or other cent in the range 1983 to 2000? Thank you. I will try do such test on Monday with a laser and would like to compare:)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never heard of a way to do metallurgical analysis with a laser.

Cents for the years you list are copper plating over zinc.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't do such a test with a laser. Any surface test is mostly just going to give you the composition of the copper layer and not the zinc core.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you turn that laser way up then we can see right through it 😈
    Just kidding 😎

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go.... :/

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why test any coin when the specs are available on PCGS Coin Facts or other reference source? Obviously, there will be slight differences based on the mint's allowable tolerances.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think slight metal variations are going to be worth a premium you are wasting your time. Online videos promoting minor mint "errors" and "varieties" have created the illusion of big money in this type of thing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just check your Redbook (If you have one, if not, get one) or the U.S. Mint specifications. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:
    Hi all,

Did anyone made a metal test of the 1 cent 1989 - for the actual proportions in % of the coper and zinc in 1 cent 1989 or other cent in the range 1983 to 2000? Thank you. I will try do such test on Monday with a laser and would like to compare:)

The question is, what do you hope to accomplish?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

97 5% Zn and 2.5% Cu.

BUT THEY ARE NOT MIXED. You have a 100% Zn center with a 100% copper surface.

Even if you find the ratio to be off, all it would mean is that the copper layer was a little thicker or thinner.

And I can think of no way to determine this ratio without actually destroying the coin.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea why you need to do a test. B)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    97 5% Zn and 2.5% Cu.

Even if you find the ratio to be off, all it would mean is that the copper layer was a little thicker or thinner.

And I can think of no way to determine this ratio without actually destroying the coin.

Hmmm...
    If you could measure volume precisely enough, and had precise weight, calculated density should tell you ratio of cu to zinc. How could we get really precise volume of the coin? 3d laser scan, probably...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:
    Hi all,

Just weight them. Any mixture of any other amount of alloy will change its weight.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

No try it I want to see what happens.🤯

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    97 5% Zn and 2.5% Cu.

Hmmm...
    If you could measure volume precisely enough, and had precise weight, calculated density should tell you ratio of cu to zinc. How could we get really precise volume of the coin? 3d laser scan, probably...

Pychnometer

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't used a pycnometer recently, but from my experience you need a pretty decent balance and both need to be treated carefully to get accurate results.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    I haven't used a pycnometer recently, but from my experience you need a pretty decent balance and both need to be treated carefully to get accurate results.

I don't think it would help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file