Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS taking it to the next level with an Anniversary COIN!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

how many copper medals did the make?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t slab labels for foreign coins normally mention the country in question?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 12:24AM

Doubtful in Niue; pronunciation (No way.)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 12:35AM

The following information on Niue NCLT is from GovMint.com, so at least some of their non-circulating bullion coins are legal tender.They way they circulate is likely the same as the way US NCLT circulates, which is not very much or at all, but both Niue and US NCLT appear to be legal tender.

https://www.govmint.com/world-coins/other-world-coins/niue-coins

GovMint.com wrote:
    Niue Coins
    In 1966, Niue began issuing legal tender non-circulating bullion commemorative coins, although they are unlikely to be found in circulation on the island. In 2009, Niue began issuing standardized coin sets multiple denominations from five cents to one dollar based on increased collector demand. Niue coins have a different metallic composition and are thicker than New Zealand coins. Niue is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, so the obverse features a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II designed by Ian Rank-Broadley, with the standard set of coins bearing images relevant to the country, surrounded by a distinct border.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Understood, so these are in the pop report?

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 8:26AM

@CaptHenway said:

I think so, and these might still have the country when they are official issued. The 2021 inserts I've seen without a country so far so far seem to be renderings with fake numbers including this one.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500 for an ounce of silver from an island country with a population of less than 2000. I think I will get a few then fly there to spend them.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

I’ll give people $2 for these all day long 😃

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    how many copper medals did the make?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

They usually do but this is probably a special case where PCGS wanted to mention “PCGS Commemorative” and didn’t want to make the label even busier than it already is.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a collector of these type of 'coins'... But that seems to be quite a price for such an issue. Not sure it can maintain that level for long. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@younique said:

Yes.

The MS version of the silver coin can be found here (i.e., PCGS coin #891651).
    The PR version of the silver coin can be found here (i.e., PCGS base coin #890914).

• Options

@MetroD said:

@younique said:

Yes.

The MS version of the silver coin can be found here (i.e., PCGS coin #891651).
    The PR version of the silver coin can be found here (i.e., PCGS base coin #890914).

Here's a snapshot:

• Options

@Zoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

I think so, and these might still have the country when they are official issued. [...]

Admittedly, my quick search was NOT exhaustive. Notwithstanding, here are some recent examples of releases with Niue written on the PCGS label:
    ~ Example #1
    ~ Example #2
    ~ Example #3

Images of the PCGS 35th Anniversary silver coin without Niue written on the PCGS label:
    MS-70

Source

PR-70

Source

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 11:59AM

This is really interesting from the CoinWorld announcement. Grade is another way PCGS is taking things to a new level!

We've discussed how the US Mint could make all 70s and now we know. They can melt the ones that don't grade!

Jeff Starck wrote:
    The BU coin has a mintage limit of 3,500 pieces. A Proof version has a mintage limit of 350 pieces and will be exclusively graded PCGS Proof 70 Deep Cameo; coins that do not make the grade will be returned to the mint and melted, according to PCGS.

Ref: https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/niue-silver-coin-celebrates-grading-service

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are neat. The Proof version is way over priced in my opinion. But given what a silver round sells for the UNC version is not too bad for those interested. https://apmex.com/product/235991/2021-niue-1-oz-silver-pcgs-35th-anniversary-coin-bu

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if any were struck that are mint errors?

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@MetroD said:

@Zoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

I think so, and these might still have the country when they are official issued. [...]

Admittedly, my quick search was NOT exhaustive. Notwithstanding, here are some recent examples of releases with Niue written on the PCGS label:
    ~ Example #1
    ~ Example #2
    ~ Example #3

Images of the PCGS 35th Anniversary silver coin without Niue written on the PCGS label:
    MS-70

Source

PR-70

Source

Thank you.
    As somebody suggested it may just be a mockup for the cameras.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2021 4:26PM

@CaptHenway said:

@MetroD said:

@Zoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

~ Example #1
    ~ Example #2
    ~ Example #3

MS-70

Source

PR-70

Source

Thank you.
    As somebody suggested it may just be a mockup for the cameras.
    TD

Now that it’s been confirmed to be real, do you see an issue if the country isn’t listed?

• Options

If there is no country listed my first thought would be that it is an American-made medal.

• Options

I intend no disrespect, but I have a different opinion on this issue.

I cannot explain why "Niue" does not appear to be on the PCGS label for the silver versions of this release. Despite this fact, I still believe that these are sovereign coins issued by Niue. I think this because:

1) The APMEX product pages for the silver versions ALL contain the phrase: "Sovereign coins guaranteed by the nation of Niue."
    ~ Link to raw, uncirculated coin
    ~ Link to slabbed, uncirculated coin
    ~ Link to slabbed, proof coin with standard label
    ~ Link to slabbed, proof coin with signed label
    ~ Link to slabbed, proof coin with retro label

2) The PCGS article describing the 35th Anniversary releases:
    ~ specifically says that Niue is "producing the 2021 PCGS 35th Anniversary Commemorative $2 Silver Coins";
    ~ includes the words "legal-tender coinage";
    ~ carefully distinguishes between "the silver coins and copper medal being issued for the PCGS 35th anniversary".
    Link

3) The copper version of this release is clearly not a coin.
    ~ APMEX describes it as "copper round". Link;
    ~ The PCGS label identifies it as a "medal".

Source

That said, the reverse of the copper medal does not 'match' the reverse of the silver coin.

The copper round features the PCGS logo.

Source

Meanwhile, the silver coin displays the Niue coat-of arms and a denomination (i.e., two Niue dollars).

Source

Why would PCGS remove their logo for the Niue coat-of-arms if it wasn't necessary to make it a sovereign coin?

• Options

@MetroD said:
    I intend no disrespect, but I have a different opinion on this issue.

I cannot explain why "Niue" does not appear to be on the PCGS label for the silver versions of this release. Despite this fact, I still believe that these are sovereign coins issued by Niue.
    [...]
    That said, the reverse of the copper medal does not 'match' the reverse of the silver coin.

The copper round features the PCGS logo.
    [...]
    Meanwhile, the silver coin displays the Niue coat-of arms and a denomination (i.e., two Niue dollars).
    [...]
    Why would PCGS remove their logo for the Niue coat-of-arms if it wasn't necessary to make it a sovereign coin?

I believe they are legal tender as well. Niue's been doing NCLT for a long time and has experience doing this.

I'm guessing the PCGS logo was removed from the reverse because a location was needed to add the Niue information and there wasn't enough time or desire to rework the reverse more extensively.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2021 10:06AM

@CaptHenway said:
    If there is no country listed my first thought would be that it is an American-made medal.

This is understandable given that this seems to be a new thing.

Of course, if PCGS starts doing this more often, like with the Galactic Empire coin above, we may all need a more world centric view when looking at slab inserts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file