Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS taking it to the next level with an Anniversary COIN!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 19, 2021 10:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I like the PCGS 30th Anniversary medal and the 35th Anniversary medal in copper, but this one is taking it to the next level!

The PCGS 35th Anniversary Silver piece is a Legal Tender Two Dollar Coin!

How crazy is that??

Of note, there are only 35 350 proof and 3500 unc coins minted.

They should have made it a $3.5 denomination ;)

Here's a CoinWorld article:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/niue-silver-coin-celebrates-grading-service

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it too. :)

The max. mintage is 350 proof coins; every one that they released was a PR-70. Reference

The 'runs' of 35 are sub-sets of the 350 with unique labels (i.e., signed and retro).

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 8:31AM

@MetroD said:
    I like it too. :)

The max. mintage is 350 proof coins; every one that they released was a PR-70. Reference

The 'runs' of 35 are sub-sets of the 350 with unique labels (i.e., signed and retro).

Ah good to know! I corrected it above!

So to get a complete set, you need 10 of the proofs!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, how do we get one?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy Vey!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of an eagle a snail would be more appropriate.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bet ya they graded and incapsulate this junk before yours.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nasty.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    So, how do we get one?

I found some at APMEX.

As of now, they still have:
    ~ raw uncirculated;
    ~ slabbed PR-70 with the signed label;
    ~ and slabbed PR-70 with the retro label.

They are currently out of:
    ~ slabbed MS-70 with the standard label;
    ~ and slabbed PR-70 with the standard label.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500 for the PR70 with retro label :#

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    They should have made it a $3.5 denomination ;)

Yeah. Tree-fiddy would have been very apt. o:)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Looks nasty.

Ditto

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Treashunt said:
    So, how do we get one?

I found some at APMEX.

As of now, they still have:
    ~ raw uncirculated;
    ~ slabbed PR-70 with the signed label;
    ~ and slabbed PR-70 with the retro label.

They are currently out of:
    ~ slabbed MS-70 with the standard label;
    ~ and slabbed PR-70 with the standard label.

Thank you very much.

The ones that I like are really priced outta there.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea but not the price. The mintage is high enough that I think the current asking prices won’t hold over the long term. For those that like the design, you can find a PCGS slabbed copper for under $30. That’s more reasonably priced than the silver.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked the medal better. The artistry of the face needs some work... coulda been really nice.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truth be told, am really confused if the person on the coin is male or female? :confused:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 2:10PM

Will CAC sticker this coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Truth be told, am really confused if the person on the coin is male or female? :confused:

peacockcoins

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations for PCGS!

35 years!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Love it !!!!!! I wonder if NGC will do one as well as other TPG services ?!?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 3:00PM

Niue will do it for anyone

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

How crazy is that??

Legal tender where? Citation?

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    It would be funny to submit one to NGC for slabbing. The look on their face would be priceless. :o:D

Someone on Instagram sent one to NGC, so that priceless look might be a reality.

• Options

@Silverado101 said:

They have done a few medals, especially for their 5th anniversary in China:

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:
    It would be funny to submit one to NGC for slabbing. The look on their face would be priceless. :o:D

Someone on Instagram sent one to NGC, so that priceless look might be a reality.

I bet it gets "BODY BAGGED" for "Questionable Judgement"

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2021 6:08PM

@U1chicago said:

@Silverado101 said:

An ingot shaped like a bimetallic slab? That’s pretty cool!

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 6:14PM

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Silverado101 said:

It is fairly cool. Some sellers from China still have them available for as low as $32.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184008026586

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Silverado101 said:

I really like the medals, never saw one before! Thanks for posting U1 ........

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 7:19PM

@cameonut2011 said:

I am not an expert on numismatic terminology (e.g., NCLT). That said, I was able to find the following. I think it might be relevant.

This is from the APMEX webpage for the proof coin:
    "Sovereign coins guaranteed by the nation of Niue."
    Link

This is from the PCGS article announcing the coins (silver) and medals (copper rounds):
    "What our company’s earliest leaders perhaps didn’t foresee was the day that PCGS, founded on the idea of authenticating and grading coins, would itself one day be featured on legal-tender coinage. That day has officially come."
    Link

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

How crazy is that??

I also question the "Legal Tender" claim - it's a Commemorative Coin as stated on the label - PCGS does not have the authority to issue ANY legal tender coinage

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

The subject is all wrong. If they wanted to have an armed and armored figure on the coin, they should have used this:

• Options

@JonJet said:
    I also question the "Legal Tender" claim - it's a Commemorative Coin as stated on the label - PCGS does not have the authority to issue ANY legal tender coinage

Again, I am not an expert. Notwithstanding, if I understand the situation correctly, the silver coins were issued by Niue.

From the PCGS article announcing the coins (silver) and medals (copper rounds):
    "APMEX has a long history of working with the mint in Niue, a South Pacific island that has been issuing coinage since 1966 and is producing the 2021 PCGS 35th Anniversary Commemorative $2 Silver Coins."
    Link

• Options

There You have it...by definition

The Commemorative is NOT legal tender in the USA since it was not minted by the US Mint under an authority granted by Congress

• Options

@MetroD said:

@JonJet said:

Again, I am not an expert. Notwithstanding, if I understand the situation correctly, the silver coins were issued by Niue.

From the PCGS article announcing the coins (silver) and medals (copper rounds):
    "APMEX has a long history of working with the mint in Niue, a South Pacific island that has been issuing coinage since 1966 and is producing the 2021 PCGS 35th Anniversary Commemorative $2 Silver Coins."
    Link

You got it correct; big dealers (like Apmex) work with Niue to issue all sorts of collector coins. This makes it an actual coin (legal tender) as opposed to a round or medal. Niue gets some revenue for this as part of the deal.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    You got it correct; big dealers (like Apmex) work with Niue to issue all sorts of collector coins. This makes it an actual coin (legal tender) as opposed to a round or medal. Niue gets some revenue for this as part of the deal.

Thank you for the 'information/insight'. I appreciate you taking the time to post. :)

• Options

So...who would honestly buy a PCGS Commemorative coin and break it out of the slab so it could be used when traveling to a south pacific island - where I honestly doubt any merchant would accept it at a $2 value

Similarly...the US Silver Eagles are a $1 coin...but they are not often seen in merchant registers or bank deposits - even though they are in fact legal tender

so in the case of the PCGS 35th Commemorative - the legal tender issue is actually a moot point

• Options

@JonJet said:
    So...who would honestly buy a PCGS Commemorative coin and break it out of the slab so it could be used when traveling to a south pacific island - where I honestly doubt any merchant would accept it at a $2 value

Similarly...the US Silver Eagles are a $1 coin...but they are not often seen in merchant registers or bank deposits - even though they are in fact legal tender

so in the case of the PCGS 35th Commemorative - the legal tender issue is actually a moot point

It's the difference between something being a coin and a medal/round/token. It may seem trivial, but the "legal tender" status tends to draw in more collectors. I don't know what exactly causes it, but I've seen plenty of people not buy something just because it wasn't a coin (or say it's worth less as a round vs a coin).

• Options

You might check the label...

PCGS Commemorative is in plain sight - with no mention anywhere that it may be considered legal tender - or explicitly proclaim where that consideration may be located

I'd lay odds that no US Bank or south pacific island merchant would accept it as a $2 coin

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm in. Niuean silver!

Population.......Wait for it.........................................................................................................................1,784

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Looks nasty.

Obverse ok, reverse nasty.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I’d love to have a Zoins Coin!

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@JonJet said:

It's the difference between something being a coin and a medal/round/token. It may seem trivial, but the "legal tender" status tends to draw in more collectors. I don't know what exactly causes it, but I've seen plenty of people not buy something just because it wasn't a coin (or say it's worth less as a round vs a coin).

That’s a big reason why Maple Leafs and American Eagles took over the bullion market from the Krugerrands. The RCM and US Mint knew what they were doing with legal tender bullion.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 10:49PM

Here's a cool slab with signatures from the two designers Justin Kunz and Ron Sanders.

APMEX wrote:
    2021 1 oz Silver PCGS 35th Anniv PR-70 PCGS (Signed, 1 of 35)

Product Details
    These proof coins commemorate the 35th anniversary of PCGS, one of the best known companies in the coin industry. Only 35 examples will be certified with a label hand signed by famed designers Justin Kunz and Ron Sanders!

Coin Highlights

• Contains 1 ounce of .999 fine Silver.
    • These rounds are an APMEXclusive® release, produced in collaboration with PCGS.
    • Only 35 labels were hand signed by both Justin Kunz and Ron Sanders for this program, creating an extremely limited collectible.
    • Limited maximum mintage of 350 coins.
    • The full mintage of these coins has been certified PR-70 DCAM by PCGS, with any coins not meeting this superlative standard being destroyed and reminted, ensuring that all customers receive only the highest quality coins.
    • Obverse: Lady Liberty, as depicted by Justin Kunz, bearing a shield and sword representing strength, integrity, and security.
    • Reverse: An eagle, as rendered by Ron Sanders, soars over a forested landscape.
    • Sovereign coins guaranteed by the nation of Niue.

Protect your holder from scratches or damage during handling by including cotton gloves with your order.

These coins feature an exceptional design produced by two famous designers, Ron Sanders and Justin Kunz. Celebrate the 35th anniversary of one of the most trusted names in numismatics by adding this limited release coin to your collection today!

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 10:52PM

Obverse designer:

Justin Kunz, Artistic Infusion Program Designer

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/artists/aip-justin-kunz

• Options

Reverse designer:

Ronald D. Sanders, Artistic Infusion Program Designer

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/artists/aip-ron-sanders

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Silverado101 said:

It is fairly cool. Some sellers from China still have them available for as low as $32.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184008026586

I just clicked through and the related items has this one which is pretty cool:

2021 China Weituo Bodhisattva Commemorative Medal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file