Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1815 & 1823 Large cent.

Was hunting around for a decent 1823 to fill a hole in my personal book. On the night I found a 1823 I was able to snag the one of a kind 1815 large cent as well. 🤣🤣.

Successful transactions with: Jinx86, Flcardtrader, Robkool, JWP.

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it some time and I’m positive you can find a nicer one.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice hole filler you have there for the 23, pretty sharp details all considered.

and the infamous 1815! what a pull ! :D

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1815 should do a good job as a hole filler in your album :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that an 1823/2 variety?

..and the ever elusive 1815!! score!! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Is that an 1823/2 variety?

..and the ever elusive 1815!! score!! ;-)

It should be the N2 perfect date.
    The start of the rim cud at 10 o’clock is the giveaway.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that 1815 spent a lot of time on the wagon trail....(no mall parking lots in those days). ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

There is no hole for an 1815 large cent in any album.

I have an 1815 large cent somewhere that once was a 1845.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

There is no hole for an 1815 large cent in any album.

I have an 1815 large cent somewhere that once was a 1845.

Of course there is no hole for the 1815. That's why there is an emoji after the post. :#

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

"Nicer" yes, but finding a "nice" 1823 large cent is not easy. I have done some tire kicking with my on again, off again date set set, and finding an 1823 cent in EF, with no issues, is not that easy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a friend who had a 1815 large cent where the tooling on the date was so well executed that you would have never guessed that it wasn't real except for the fact that no real examples of this date exists. I tried to buy it from him but he would sell it. :'(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I had a friend who had a 1815 large cent where the tooling on the date was so well executed that you would have never guessed that it wasn't real except for the fact that no real examples of this date exists. I tried to buy it from him but he would sell it. :'(

Which type of large cent was used?
    The 1845 mentioned above is funny, in that the braided hair design with mature head and large letters wasn’t minted until 1843.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@PerryHall said:

The 1845 mentioned above is funny, in that the braided hair design with mature head and large letters wasn’t minted until 1843.

Looked like the type that followed the classic head. Matron head? It was so well tooled I couldn't tell the original date. That's why I wanted to buy it. Most that I've seen were relatively crude compared to this one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@crazyhounddog said:

"Nicer" yes, but finding a "nice" 1823 large cent is not easy. I have done some tire kicking with my on again, off again date set set, and finding an 1823 cent in EF, with no issues, is not that easy.

True enough, Bill, especially with the N2 normal date. The N1 23/2 is SLIGHTLY easier to find in decent condition in the middle grades, and a fair number of folks seem content to just use that. For the N2, I settled on PC Fine Details-cleaned example. The EAC dealer envelope grade that came with it was VF20-choice, so it's actually pretty nice for what it is, and even in that holder, was not cheap.
    I can imagine that if you are seeking an N2, that matches your magnificent 1821, it would cost a fortune, if you could even find one.

As a side note to those of casual interest - both major varieties of 1823 cents were part of the mintage of 1.2M listed for 1824, which also has two major varieties. So you have low mintages, generally poor planchet quality, and no one date collecting at that time to save nice ones for future generations. It's pure happenstance that the nice ones in existence are there.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2021 12:56PM

@Walkerguy21D said:

@PerryHall said:

Here is my 1815 (formerly an 1845) large cent:

Collectors of the day just wanted an 1815 large cent, they only cared about the date, not the design. They made them to fill the 1815 void in their large cent collection.

• Options

It took me a long time to find an 1823 large cent with a nice planchet and no problems slightly better than vg. One just showed up one day at a local coin shop and I bought it instantly, glad I did because this date is just not around in nice planchette problem free condition in any grade. The overdate seems to be more plentiful.

• Options

My two N1 examples:

And my N2:

• Options
    edited November 21, 2021 1:39PM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    My two N1 examples:

And my N2:

Excellent!! Love them.
    I find that large cents dating from 1821-1829 are difficult to find in problem free circulated condition. I think that most of the dates from 1823 - 1829 inclusive are underrated (nice problem free coins in g-xf condition) and are actually priced too low. JMHO
    These type of coins are in my "If you see one you like - JUST BUY IT NOW" list, because if you wait, someone else will beat you to it.
    Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file