Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this IHC, die crack? Lamination? Retained cud

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2021 6:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Trying to figure out what is going on here. Also seems to misalign the dentils. Generally I find these features bring a coolness element but on this one I’m wondering if if boarders on damage.

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the dentist don't line up.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Definitely retained cud, as mentioned above. You can practically see where the cud piece has begun to shift out of place.

A fun coin to study, and while some collectors may find it distracting, it's not even in the same realm as PMD.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retained cud was my first thought as well.
    Please post the full obverse when you get a chance.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    Interesting how the dentist don't line up.

Damn auto correct....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

What is the date of the Indian?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coin... I agree with the diagnosis above.... Would like to see full pictures of obverse and reverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also in the retained cud camp.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the Trueview of the entire coin. Thanks yosclimber for the link! 1C-1863-03r and 13R look to be the closest, but not exact matches.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 10:06AM

@ad4400 said:
    [Thanks for the tip Yosclimber. I submitted the images to the site and my coin is now listed and recognized as pre-Cud PC-1C-1863-16R]

They changed/updated the "Retained Cud" designation to "Pre Cud"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2022 8:41PM

1863 had quite a few die cracks/cuds/shattered dies. Here are some examples

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@ad4400 said:
    [Thanks for the tip Yosclimber. I submitted the images to the site and my coin is now listed and recognized as pre-Cud PC-1C-1863-16R]

When did the definitions change? 40 years ago at ANACS I would have written this up as a Retained Cud because there was displacement at the denticle.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 10:07AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Steven59 said:

@ad4400 said:

When did the definitions change? 40 years ago at ANACS I would have written this up as a Retained Cud because there was displacement at the denticle.

I remember that being talked about a few years ago.
    From "Cuds On Coins" website: http://cuds-on-coins.com/pre-cuds-on-u-s-coins-2/

Pre Cuds on U.S. Coins
    A “Pre Cud” is a precursor to most collectible of all die break errors called a Cud. The Pre Cud starts out as a Rim to Rim Die Crack. When the die break starts to show lateral spread and horizontal offset it now becomes a Retained Cud. If the break separates from the die the result is a fully-fledged Cud.

But then the OPs coin was designated as Pre Cud - so who knows exactly?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.
    I see that several of us called it a "Retained Cud," so obviously the change in terminology has not been universally accepted.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file