Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What grade would you give this gold coin?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sending it in to PCGS and before I do I thought I would see what the eyes on the forum think it will grade at……

Comments

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultra common $20, that cheek makes it ungradeable without losing money.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I grade it unworthy of slabbing. It's a little hard to read the surfaces in the photo, but with all that stuff around the portrait I'm thinking MS60/61.

Sorry, but the ROI just isn't there. This is a common coin, and the realized price at sale won't go up much beyond the usual double eagle premium to melt value until you get in the MS63 range. There's no chance this coin manages that.

Agree. There is way too much going on with this coin as far as marks, scratches and abrasions to get a grade worth covering the cost of grading.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 (possibly as high as MS61), and as others have already said, not worth getting graded.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all those scuffs, marks, and abrasions especially on the face, it's an AU58 or possibly a low end MS. Agree with those that say it's not worth the expense of getting it slabbed. It's essentially a bullion coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 maybe. Agree with those who said it is not worth slabbing.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Hard to tell if there is wear or not, but if the luster is as good as it looks, it could get as high as MS61.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id say 60-61. As everyone else says, probably not a good ROI for grading.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61...

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most common date of Lib $20. Max at 62. You can buy them already slabbed for less money.

thefinn
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 7:46AM

It’s a really nice blazer and reflects its fascinating history in bank bags. These coins minted for commerce. Can’t really tell but looks baggy obv from photo. Rev fantastic BU. MS61 my wager. Super cartwheel luster. Not some spotted tarnished trash piece.

Send it in - I recommend you get it graded considering it’s value. Then you know what our hosts think on grade and there is no question (potential buyers) to authenticity. Plus it’s in PCGS holder. Reverse looks nice. If getting close to melt would stack these all day long. I would just add the grading cost to its original cost then markup accordingly. With its super luster it will sell. If not sit on it and bank when gold goes up. Sell it just at melt? Lol - heck no, blazer like that there is somebody in bourse room who will pay at least a few bucks over BV for blazer like that.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in, no need to worry then on the chance someone pushes its counterfeit later.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60. Not worth slabbing. Little more than a very common date hunk of bullion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Piling on here, but it's a bullion coin.
    61, maybe 62 on a Friday afternoon.
    Doesn't really matter. It's worth the same as a 55......

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the coin has chatter in the fields and on the devices... but nice luster. Likely grade at MS61.... A slab gives it authenticity and protection. Your choice... If you submit, let us know the results. Cheers, RickO

• Options

How much would it cost to get this coin slabbed by PCGS including round trip insured shipping?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial thoughts on grade were anywhere from AU55 to MS61. I can't tell what's going on with Liberty's cheek (rub vs excessive contact marks) without having the coin in-hand. As far as slabbing goes... personally, I wouldn't... at least part of my collection is housed in a Dansco Album and this coin, IMHO, would be a good album coin. That said, I also see value in having gold coins authenticated. When it comes time to sell (and we will all get THAT old at some point) it's a lot easier to liquidate coins in slabs in our virtual world. I guess it comes down to how you like to present your collection... if you do send it out, please let us know the outcome. Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    edited November 17, 2021 7:25AM

@PerryHall said:
    How much would it cost to get this coin slabbed by PCGS including round trip insured shipping?

Good question! It looks like Regular submission (coin value <$2500) through PCGS is $38... plus $10 handling fee... plus $28 shipping (minimum)... so, around $76 to get this coin into plastic, maybe more depending on submission type.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

edited to add: and you still have to calculate in the shipping/handling/insurance to get it to PCGS...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

@PerryHall said:

Good question! It looks like Regular submission (coin value <$2500) through PCGS is $38... plus $10 handling fee... plus $28 shipping (minimum)... so, around $76 to get this coin into plastic, maybe more depending on submission type.

edited to add: and you still have to calculate in the shipping/handling/insurance to get it to PCGS...

So, it's going to cost about $100 to get it slabbed unless you can save some on shipping by including it in a larger submission package. I don't think the cost of slabbing it will add enough value to this coin to justify the expense.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@lkenefic said:

@PerryHall said:

So, it's going to cost about $100 to get it slabbed unless you can save some on shipping by including it in a larger submission package. I don't think the cost of slabbing it will add enough value to this coin to justify the expense.

Exactly... that's about 5% of the value of the coin... assuming generic $20 Libs are going for ~$2k... give or take...

• Options

What if the graders find a patch of hairline scratches and assign a details grade with "CLEANED" on the label? Would the coin then be worth less than if it were left raw? Hypothetical question being asked for academic reasons.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2021 10:03AM

@PerryHall yes, and that's how it will come back IMO. This coin is a slider AU with obverse hairlines and that's based on what I CAN see. It might be worse in hand.
    No offense to the OP intended; it's your coin and you can send it in regardless of what anyone here thinks or says... but in the opinion of this nearly 40 year dealer it's a waste of time and money. Unless this coin has some sort of sentimental value, if you want a nice example of the type I'd consider liquidating this piece and applying the proceeds towards a coin that is nice for the grade. This date comes nice and a much cleaner example can be had for not much more money.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

@PerryHall said:

The coin is going in with 5 others in the submission, but in the box going to PCGS there is a total of 5 different submissions going in. Lots of coins…..

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what you have for the rest of the submission, but over the years I've learned to sell this sort of stuff to be able to afford coins that are actually rare. If you can buy a replacement in similar condition, at any time, from any bullion dealer, in any quantity, it is not rare. Collecting bullion with a bit of historical interest is fine, but you might enjoy it less once it's locked up in a plastic tomb. You'll certainly enjoy it less if it comes back in a problem holder.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not send that in. You could probably sell if for $1770 or so today. Then take the money and $500 bucks and buy a nice graded one one if that it your aim..

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    I would not send that in. You could probably sell if for $1770 or so today. Then take the money and $500 bucks and buy a nice graded one one if that it your aim..

Currently, he should be able to get a minimum of $1850 wholesale.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I think those hairlines will result in a cleaned no grade. I just got one myself from a coin with less than that one... You can opt for no holder genuine and they won’t holder it if cleaned.

• Options

I don’t have the coin in my hands yet as I just got the grades today from PCGS, but the 1904 above graded MS63. When I get the coins back I will post this coin and the 1900 I sent in, both graded MS63. FYI

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    I don’t have the coin in my hands yet as I just got the grades today from PCGS, but the 1904 above graded MS63. When I get the coins back I will post this coin and the 1900 I sent in, both graded MS63. FYI

Congrats - I’m surprised because it looks to me like there are hairlines all over the obverse and on the cheek - I sent in the same coin (different date) with fewer hairlines than yours and it came back cleaned - so yours is apparently better - but goes to show it is hard to tell from photos.
    Congrats!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh heh, I like how this story turned out.
    A win for the OP 👍

• Options

@Herb_T said:

Score! I'm glad it turned out well for you!

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2021 6:32PM

Great result. That coin does have nice luster and the fields are surprisingly clean compared to the cheek. Not sure why such a large discrepancy between the AU58/MS61 GTG results, and the official MS63 result, but theorizing here that maybe what everyone above was seeing is luster breaks on the cheek being magnified by the camera angle (although it certainly looks like the photo was taken straight on)? Please post the cert number when issued and some new photos when you get the coin back.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice (I was thinking AU58 and do not know where I can get a slabbed double eagle for $100)
    ... sometimes the TruViews post before you have the coin in hand, maybe post them?

• Options

@csdot said:
    Great result. That coin does have nice luster and the fields are surprisingly clean compared to the cheek. Not sure why such a large discrepancy between the AU58/MS61 GTG results, and the official MS63 result, but theorizing here that maybe what everyone above was seeing is luster breaks on the cheek being magnified by the camera angle (although it certainly looks like the photo was taken straight on)? Please post the cert number when issued and some new photos when you get the coin back.

I don’t think the photo did it any justice. I thought it hand it looked really good, but who knows. I haven’t been looking at coins that long so who knows, but I will take it.

@davewesen said:
    nice (I was thinking AU58 and do not know where I can get a slabbed double eagle for $100)
    ... sometimes the TruViews post before you have the coin in hand, maybe post them?

As soon as they are available for sure.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I grade it unworthy of slabbing. It's a little hard to read the surfaces in the photo, but with all that stuff around the portrait I'm thinking MS60/61.

Sorry, but the ROI just isn't there. This is a common coin, and the realized price at sale won't go up much beyond the usual double eagle premium to melt value until you get in the MS63 range. There's no chance this coin manages that.

There's a reason why it's not in a slab. Common date with too much chatter.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not against getting this piece graded. It will show that it is genuine, which is very important. I got stuck with a counterfeit 1904 double eagle when I was in my 20s. Fortunately the price of gold went up and I was able to get my money back on it for scrap. My slab grade would be MS-62

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 huh? Good for you. That grade should just about cover the grading fees. Must look a bit better than in the initial photos.

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 6:46AM

@BryceM said:
    MS63 huh? Good for you. That grade should just about cover the grading fees. Must look a bit better than in the initial photos.

I have looked at a fairly large number of coin photos online, and I sometimes ask what equipment was used to take photos. My recollection is that a scanner (Cannon specifically) will give gold that glow.

Scanner photos are not the same as photos from a DSLR camera, so maybe this is a scanner photo and the very bright light bar transiting the scanner bed over accentuated the luster breaks??

Just a guess.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 9:21AM

My (first ) guess is (was) MS 63 , but am always late to the party. Oh, and (it looks) dipped, too (to me). And I like $20 Gold Liberty coins in general.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 8:44AM

I would pay the money to get it graded (sch c exp) and would want know what our hosts grade it at. That way it’s in a PCGS holder, authentic, fits well with my other material whether show or online, plus the buyer has the TPG assurance of grade and not fake. In addition I can put it in my PCGS inventory app along w photo and track value along with my other Pcgs material.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first thought was 62, then as i looked further, 61/60. glad to hear you got 63. it's hard to grade by photos.

• Options

@csdot said:

@BryceM said:

I have looked at a fairly large number of coin photos online, and I sometimes ask what equipment was used to take photos. My recollection is that a scanner (Cannon specifically) will give gold that glow.

Scanner photos are not the same as photos from a DSLR camera, so maybe this is a scanner photo and the very bright light bar transiting the scanner bed over accentuated the luster breaks??

Just a guess.

Sorry, photo taken with a Canon 5dMkIV with 3 LED lights around the coin…..

• Options

@BryceM said:

Uh, coin values on PCGS at $2600. Grading fees were $65, bought it for $1950. Seems like I made better than just the grading fees.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file