Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1995-1996 Olympic 32 Coin Set

Does any have this set and can tell me if you think it is worth the $4300 price tag?

Grey sheets has it decreasing in value monthly but I think it is a gorgeous set that my LCS has in a wooden case for $5000 out the door.

Just looking for opinions on if you have this set and find it is worth it in your opinion :smile:

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's market wants coins in TPG plastic, not wooden cases. Save your money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can sure offer you about 100 different ways to spend $5000 on coins. All of which would seem a better place to spread your dollars. Bang for the buck kinda thing.
    By the way posting and asking questions has saved me a few dollars and even a chuckle at my expense is ok 😉
    One thing, collecting what you like is a good thing but I had to figure out what I really wanted. Posting is a blessing and money really can’t buy what many here offer for free. I love you guys

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

There were only 150 of these 32 coin sets sold by the USM. A set I was tracking a couple of years ago at auction realised around $4500. I believe an asking price from a dealer of $5000.is not out of line if intact-as there is about $4000 worth of bullion in this set.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 16 piece set. I tried to buy the 32 piece set, but the dealer wanted over $8,000 for it and won't budge at a summer FUN show four or five years ago. I told him he was crazy. Most dealers are happy to unload those sets at around the Grey Sheet numbers. If it's only worth $5,000 now, he was crazy.

The are eight $5 gold pieces in the set which contain almost $3,600 worth of gold.

I am one of those odd ball collectors who prefer the modern commemoratives in the original mint box. I have all of the wooden box sets except for the 32 piece Atlanta set. I've made out on them financially because of the increase in the price of gold.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Today's market wants coins in TPG plastic, not wooden cases. Save your money.

That's not universally true of modern commems, not by a long shot. It's true on this forum, of course. The MAJORITY of commemorative collections I see are still raw.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2021 9:15AM

That's a fair price for that set. As someone already said, there's almost 2 ounces of gold and $24 face in 90% silver. At current market prices, that's over $400o in bullion. Close to $4100.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can get it for $4300 that is just 4-5% above melt. For a non-dealer that is hard to complain about when it is US Mint gold and silver. Good luck. It's a hobby. Collect what you like.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I have the 16 piece set. I tried to buy the 32 piece set, but the dealer wanted over $8,000 for it and won't budge at a summer FUN show four or five years ago. I told him he was crazy. Most dealers are happy to unload those sets at around the Grey Sheet numbers. If it's only worth $5,000 now, he was crazy.

The are eight $5 gold pieces in the set which contain almost $3,600 worth of gold.

I am one of those odd ball collectors who prefer the modern commemoratives in the original mint box. I have all of the wooden box sets except for the 32 piece Atlanta set. I've made out on them financially because of the increase in the price of gold.

I like the original sets even though I have more gold in slabs-still a decent buy for stackers imo. I still have about 25 three coin set in the original packaging that I was purchasing from my LCD for $90 about twenty years ago.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector said:
    Does any have this set and can tell me if you think it is worth the $4300 price tag?

Grey sheets has it decreasing in value monthly but I think it is a gorgeous set that my LCS has in a wooden case for $5000 out the door.

Just looking for opinions on if you have this set and find it is worth it in your opinion :smile:

My personal opinion is that is is definitely a nice buy for that price given the current spot for gold and silver.

There is a set on ebay currently for $5,399.00 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124783872281

;)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2021 4:03PM

The 32 coin set is a very nice set and looks very elegant when displayed in the wooden box. I keep the coins in the SDB due to the value but around five or six years ago I got them all out and into the box for a photo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of these sets. It was fun getting a few coins for it every few months. It was less fun getting the bill for the coins, also every few months. :) And, the set is, indeed, impressive and elegant. I wish the mint sold more sets in wood cases because, as @BillJones can testify, the wooden containers look nice

Re @batumi It's hard to believe that just 150 of these were sold. I am NOT doubting your comment, just marveling at the low number...

Mark

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing this is a set that is on the move. Gold up $115 in the last 2 weeks. Silver up too. Going to be hard to find it for $4300 now I would guess.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price seems reasonable at today's PM values.... It is a nice looking set as well. I would not buy it, but that is a personal preference.... Your hobby, your choice. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are buying bullion, buy bullion and don't pay a premium for it because of pretty packaging.

Bulky "stuff" takes up valuable storage space.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I worked at a Shop I think we bought two of these over the years, paying only typical melt price. it was a nice looking set when viewed all together, but quite hard to sell. we lugged it around to shows for awhile and finally left it at the shop and sold it at melt+, probably individually because the Silver/Gold pieces were easier to sell like that.

the prices listed for these in guides are wholly unrealistic. I hate to sound cynical, but the dealers who try to sell them for those "Guide Prices" almost certainly paid only melt. also, there may have only been 150 sets sold by the Mint but the market for them is much smaller than that. if you think about it, the "150 issued" number is only relevant if you're talking about the box. the coins themselves are common.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file