Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with Registered mail claim *UPDATE in first post* Delivered after 59 days!

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 20, 2021 3:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I sold a fairly expensive gold dollar to a forum member that was sent USPS registered mail. It has been 2 weeks and is still not delivered, tracking has not updated for 10 days. I have filed a "missing mail search request", at the suggestion of the postmaster. He said that is about all he can do. Any other suggestions or outcomes from similar situations?

Yes, after a very trying and painful experience with the USPS, the coin I mailed 59 days ago was finally delivered today. My suggestion to anyone mailing expensive coins is to get private insurance. After filing a claim I was denied twice and was down to my last appeal. This was a private transaction between two collectors and did not have the paper work, like invoices, statements of value, and documents of money transfer, as a coin dealer might have. The PO was extremely unhelpful and I truly believe that had the package not miraculously shown up after two months, they would have not paid me, even though I did everything correctly. Fully insured registered mail.
Hugh Wood insurance through the ANA here I come!

liefgold

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair chance your missing mail search will get it moving again. ;)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the above. 2 weeks isn't out of the ordinary, especially these days.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 8:24AM

file another mail search on-line.

two in the bush is better than one in the cloud.

And if you need it, Filing a claim. Registered claim can be filed after 15 days. Filing the claim might speed up getting the item delivered. Very small chance that registered mail is actually missing.

And, maintain contact with your forum buyer, he'll appreciate it. If he's been around the block he understands the delays with registered mail.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update in first post.
    USPS a failure.

liefgold
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it worked out!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad it finally showed up.... thanks for the update. :)

"Better late than never" ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... After 59 days, it shows up.... Amazing Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

A special thanks to the coin Gods on this one.
    Glad that it worked out on both ends.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those wondering or researching this thread because they are in a similar situation. Perhaps this thread will give you hope. Here is a synopsis of the tracking info.

Oct 22 submitted to a local PO
    Oct 26 Major PO center receives coin and sends onward
    Dec 17 Major East coast PO received coin and sent onward
    Dec 20 local PO delivered

For 50+ days the package took a nice vacation. No clue where it went and no evidence on the package.

The comment for the buyer and seller to remain in contact is very relevant. This saga ended happily, hopefully others do as well.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 2:09PM

@liefgold said:
    Yes, after a very trying and painful experience with the USPS, the coin I mailed 59 days ago was finally delivered today. My suggestion to anyone mailing expensive coins is to get private insurance. After filing a claim I was denied twice and was down to my last appeal. This was a private transaction between two collectors and did not have the paper work, like invoices, statements of value, and documents of money transfer, as a coin dealer might have. The PO was extremely unhelpful and I truly believe that had the package not miraculously shown up after two months, they would have not paid me, even though I did everything correctly. Fully insured registered mail.
    Hugh Wood insurance through the ANA here I come!

I'm shocked! B)

EDIT: Glad it had a happy ending, at least.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file